• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Free alternatives to AVG?

D

Deleted member 325

So, AVG antivirus, which for years has been a bit sketchy in my opinion, has taken actions recently that IMHO render it useless and no better than malware itself. Over the long years I have used it it has gone from being one of my go-to apps to just a part of my AV defense for it's real time scanning (Resident Shield). Now I need an alternative.

I was hoping for some good suggestions of free alternatives to AVG with a real time resident shield. I would love to hear what some others use, why they like it, etc... I need something that will run on Windows 7 64 bit myself.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Kage, I went with Avira Free Antivirus for Windows on my old WinXP Pro 32-bit laptop after I started having problems when Norton's old Internet suite was blocking some sites I needed to access, but got back to Norton's with this Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop.

I don't know how it would run on this newer system, but I was very happy with Avira, so you might want to take a look at it.

Oh and the Pro version is very reasonably priced if you decide to go that route.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I use Kaspersky on my computer but it isn't free unfortunately. We have 4 desktops, 2 laptops not to mention all the tablets at my house(4 adults) it gets very expensive.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I used to use AVG, but yes, it seems like some free av programs are becoming part of the problem. I finally invested in a program that uses a whitelist approach to malware blocking, as opposed to just a blacklist.

Dove

I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have been using Avast (free edition) for quite a few years now and not had any problems.

D

Deleted member 325

I definitely prefer something free right now. My funds are all tied up in Content, 3D Software, and Computer Hardware upgrades/replacement...and my funds are very finite.
For years my approach to security has been multi-tiered freeware programs, as even when I had a paid subscription to Nortoc and Macafee I found no one program was 100%. Norton left a bad taste in my mouth. I have used AVG for real time resident shield and then when I feel something may have slipped by or thought I was getting a false positive I would fall back and scan with Malwarebytes and/or SuperAntiSpyware.

AVG's new ZEN is just a nightmare. Breaks functionality. Behaves as spyware/malware... and it brings nothing to the table of use to me - so after much frustration trying to reinstall AVG and prevent it downloading and installing ZEN with definition updates I have decided AVG has become Malware itself and has to go. Honestly, it's horrible.

If I need to go with something commercial, I think I might go for Malwarebytes premium (which has a resident shield not in the free version). I have had a lot of good luck with the free version over the years.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I also believe in multi-tier protection, and use Malwarebytes, though don't have the premium version, as well as Spybot Search & Destroy.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Among the paid ones, Kaspersky is considered one of the best.
But I always use free versions and at the moment I'm using AVG, Avast and Avira on various computers. Maybe my current preference is towards Avira.
Another one that people rarely mention is Comodo:
Why Comodo Internet Security Suite for PC?
I tried it avout a year ago. While it was a big download and I did not like some features like the geek buddy assistant, the cloud based scanning (which I understand is common now), I felt that it was a good product anyway, and could be worth trying.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I just use the free security essentials that ships with Windows. Never had an issue. I go to Shields UP and I always test STEALTH!

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Just google Best Free Antivirus you'll see some great alternatives for you like Avast, Avira, Panda, Comodo, etc.
I've been used Avast for a long time on my PC and smartphone and I didn't have any problems yet.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm also another long time Avast user. However, I eventually upgraded to Internet Security version which includes a firewall.

Windows Avast has four versions.

Avast Free Antivirus – Free for non-commercial and home usage. Includes antivirus with antispyware, Avast Passwords, Secure HTTPS scanning, streaming updates, hardened mode, DeepScreen, Home Network Security scanner, Do Not Track, SiteCorrect, antiphishing, anti-malware, Smart Scan, Rescue Disk, and Software Updater (manual).
Requires 1-year registration and includes advertisements for other Avast products.

Avast Pro Antivirus – For home use. Includes all features of the Free version, with the addition of SafeZone Browser, Secure DNS, and Sandbox.
Does not require registration, but does require a license or activation code.

Avast Internet Security – Includes all the features of Pro, with the addition of a silent firewall and antispam.
Does not need registration, but does require a license or activation code.

Avast Premier – Includes all the features of Internet Security, with the addition of a data shredder, an "AccessAnywhere" service, and automatic software updater (for programs such as Google Chrome).
Does not require registration, but does require a license or activation code.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I have used both Avira Antivir (make sure it's that one specifically, there are some soundalikes out there which are malware) and Avast as free antivirus. Both seemed fine from the antivirus point of view, nothing got through that I'm aware of. Both benefited from some tinkering with the settings rather than sticking entirely to defaults when I was using them. Both had minor issues with pop-up messages causing other software to drop out of full screen mode. They may have changed that now as it was some time ago, and it may be a non-issue for you anyway. If you have the newest Windows software then the free Windows antivirus is generally pretty good. It does depend what you do with the computer and what your security requirements are, of course.

If you have older Windows and want to pay then see if you can grab Kaspersky when it's on sale, you can sometimes pick it up for half price.

D

Deleted member 325

I have been trying Avast, but it is clearly not the answer to my needs. I am having far too many issues with it, including suspicious and unwanted behavior (constant internet usage, interfering with Poser, interfering with installers, refusing to remember my settings for updating and deleting files, causing BSODs, and turning itself back on when I tell it to turn off until reboot so I can use programs it interferes with).
I find it disturbing that the company has no support ticket system or way to report issues either unless you are a premium member - I can pretty much guarantee if I were trying the free version to see if I wanted to buy this would drive me away in New York minute.

I guess next month my upgrade and content budget suffers while I get a paid solution. Probably going to go with Malwarebytes pro.

Last edited by a moderator:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm telling you that the MS "Windows Defender" works just fine and it's free.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I use Comodo Free version and have for years.

I used AVG until it became so heavy it interfered with many programs I use. It was a terrible memory hog.

Szark

Awesome
I'm telling you that the MS "Windows Defender" works just fine and it's free.
I agree. The only time I have been infected was me installing stupid things like Youtube downloader which installed some crappy stuff, early ransom wear. But yeah for Windows stick with Microsoft Security Essentials. I don't have issues with it blocking programs and the like.

D

Deleted member 325

Typo on previous post, I had meant Avast.
As to using just Windows defender, I do not find it adequate myself. I have seen too much get past it when I worked at the repair shop. Same with Norton. Computers would come in and scan clean with those, but be infected by lots of various nasty stuff. AVG used to be Ok, but this new Zen forced add-on, which is useless to me, causes issues.

Probably going to upgrade Malwarebytes to pro since I am likely going to need a paid AV for my needs now. Free ones are not what they once were it seems.