• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Flinks Trees, Plants, Flowers, and What Not

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've purchased a few of Flinks skies, but of his plants, I've only purchased Flinks Tree 8.

I'm looking at his Instant Lake, Instant Forest, and Instant Forest Ivy products. I was also looking at the Instant Meadow Flowers, as well as the bushes/flowering bushes.

Does anyone have these? If so, are the Instant Forest and the Instant Forest Ivy similar to the Flinks Tree 8, where the individual leaves of the trees and ivy are flat square planes?

With Instant Meadow Flowers, are the props flat plane (like the DAZ Millennium Environment where the plants only look good viewed from the front and as background plants) or modeled (like Ken's Sagebrush Habitat or Lisa's Starweeds where the plants still look good rotated and in closeup).

Where the description is circular flat plant objects (Cattail, Reeds, DryReeds), that would mean the cattail, reeds, dry reeds are each flat planes, right rather than modeled props? If so, they wouldn't be meant for close up renders, right?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I have a few of Flink's 'Meadow' products, grass, flowers, etc and they are all flat plane (banner?). While they are o.k in mid and long distance I've tended to steer clear of the other products because of that.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have, and use, Flink's Grounds, such as Autumn, Spring and Summer, none of which are completely flat, as they have modeled in rises and falls in the ground. I also have three of his Sky products, and a couple of Bushes, and 1 Grass product. The only Meadow I have was last month's newsletter freebie, A Little Meadow. I don't have any of the ones you mention Satira, so can't comment on them.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
If so, are the Instant Forest and the Instant Forest Ivy similar to the Flinks Tree 8, where the individual leaves of the trees and ivy are flat square planes?
Don't have, but yes, it's visible in the renders.
With Instant Meadow Flowers, are the props flat plane (like the DAZ Millennium Environment where the plants only look good viewed from the front and as background plants) or modeled (like Ken's Sagebrush Habitat or Lisa's Starweeds where the plants still look good rotated and in closeup).
No, flowers are modeled, but it's low-poly models. Green Hills line has alpha planes.
Closeup-friendly models are Grass3 line and individual flower models.
Where the description is circular flat plant objects (Cattail, Reeds, DryReeds), that would mean the cattail, reeds, dry reeds are each flat planes, right rather than modeled props? If so, they wouldn't be meant for close up renders, right?
No, it's about overall form of the plants groups.
But The flowers are modeled resource-efficient as possible and not intended for close-ups.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
not very good for close up...they are better for filling fields more in a distance

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Example of the Grass3 Line (Wet Grass to be precise, but same meshes quality.) Not default materials.
Drops1.png

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks everyone. That definitely answers my questions.

Since most of what I do is closeups, I don't get a lot of use out of low poly plants. Which is not to say there is anything bad with low poly stuff! Trying to populate an entire forest or meadow with high poly stuff isn't exactly feasible.

I really shouldn't be buying a bunch of products anyway ... even with them on sale. Since, I just sent out a $500 payment toward my $1,300+ crown bill.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Example of the Grass3 Line (Wet Grass to be precise, but same meshes quality.) Not default materials.
Thanks PHD, as I just double-checked, and that's the Grass product I have, but haven't played with yet.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@Satira Capriccio Close-ups friendly trees are a rarity. Even reasonable Whitemagus plants have only one or two poly for a leaf. (Well, sakuras are definetly close-up friendly... with 6 or 7 millions of polys. ) There is Harpwood Trail for DS with multy-polygon leaves, but I don't like the way the leaves grow there.

I tested Tree6, which is modeled similar to Lisa's Willow and Heart of the matter - when a group of polygons represents a twig as a whole. It makes the leaves hangs more naturally, but not very good for the close-ups too. Andd Tree6 has a very good bark.
tree6-1.jpg

tree6-2.jpg

tree6-3.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Granted, I postwork the heck out of everything.

Mostly, I need small plants high poly enough to use in the foreground ... such as with the Lisa's Starweeds, Grasses, and Ferns here.

Salsola.jpg

Or Lisa's Bellflowers here.

The Night Blooms.jpg

This is one of the few where I've gotten "close" to a tree (which is the HiveWire Fallen Tree).
Although, tree leaves that curve rather than being a flat plane do help when you want to get closer to tree leaves ... for whatever reason. Like ... a bird on a tree limb. I mean ... get out far enough so the trees and leaves look ok, you're not going to be able to see the bird. Unless it's an ostrich or emu. But I can't imagine either of those birds climbing a tree!

The Dodos.jpg

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You might also check out some of travelers plants. His violets, iris, and cosmos look good even close up. Not sure where the Poser versions of them are now but I got a basket full for .50 cents a piece in the RDNA annual sale, but I was very happy with how they turn out. His volumetric field is marvelous for filling a scene. I have quite a few of his for Poser before they were moved over. His jungle plants are very nice too.

Any requests on what textures you would like next? I have the daffodil and crocus. There will be a mini set out for Lisa's bell flowers and tulips for Halloween. I have tropicals II, but only the bromeliad textures sort of complete on those with pinks and orange.

Last edited:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
If I might make a couple suggestions......

1) Caisson's Heartwood trees (and bushes) are very nicely done models with modeled foliage. Heartwood | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D
2) Another personal favorite are Traveler's Berry Trees: RDNA Winter Foliage - Berry Trees 2 | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D RDNA Winter Foliage - Berry Trees 1 | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D
3) and I do like Flink's Instant Meadow 2, which is a combination of modeled and flat panes

MeadowPlants.jpg

In the image above, I turned the camera so that the render was from the "side" of the meadow plants.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have Traveler's Winter Foliage-Berry Trees 2, and love them. I also have a number of his earlier Fields, Grasslands, Ground Covers, and two of the Heavy Vines sets. I have his Tropical Elements, which looks to be jungle plants. Not sure if I've ever used it though!

I also had picked up a number of Pred's tree packs, though I've only used a few of them. But I've been happy with those that I tried.

I have Esha's Forest Trees, but I don't think I've used them yet.

Lisa's Dead Bushes are good too ... at least for that time of the years when trees have no leaves. They work well with the Raven's Rest plants and tree too.

Besides the Starweed, I probably use most Lisa's Salvia, Hosta, and Pansy, as well as the Trellis Vines from her Cottage Plants 1 set.

Oh, and it looks like I also have Flinks Green Hills. Which I probably haven't ever used.

I may still get Flinks Instant Forest, but I don't think I'll get the Ivy.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have a ton of Travelers plants/vegetation products, though I don't recall how many of them I have installed on this computer, but I did have most of them installed on my old laptop, and always liked using them.

What I like about a good many of Flink's products is they're usable in a number of different software apps, including Bryce, which I still like using, so it's nice to know they're usable in more than just Poser and DS.

I also have quite a few of Esha's products, some of them I just got earlier this year, which I haven't installed yet.

The most recent line of flowers do render very well closeup like you want. Here's an image I made with many of those flowers: Dreams of Summer (I hope outside links are allowed. I don't know all the rules yet!) I rendered that image large, about 4000x4000 pixels and the flowers plus the grasses look fantastic. Used in that image were the Flowers 4 Poppy, Flowers 6 Chicory, and Green Hills.

I recently bought Instant Lake, Instant Forest, and Instant Forest Ivy but I have yet to try them out.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks! That's a great image too.

The most recent line of flowers do render very well closeup like you want. Here's an image I made with many of those flowers: Dreams of Summer (I hope outside links are allowed. I don't know all the rules yet!) I rendered that image large, about 4000x4000 pixels and the flowers plus the grasses look fantastic. Used in that image were the Flowers 4 Poppy, Flowers 6 Chicory, and Green Hills.

I recently bought Instant Lake, Instant Forest, and Instant Forest Ivy but I have yet to try them out.