• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fatal Error on launching Poser

Hornet3d

Wise
It all worked fine yesterday but today when I try to launch Poser 11 all I get is a box saying 'Fatal Error occured loading the application please contact Smith Micro technical support if this continues'. I have uninstalled Poser and re-installed, including the latest updates as I know that had some fixes for Fatal Error on launch but with no change.

I am even having problems finding the Smith Micro Tech support link.

Can anyone help?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I get that all the time. Go to c:program data/poser/11 and delete the 11 folder.

That smiley face should be a colon and a p.

Hornet3d

Wise
I get that all the time. Go to c:program data/poser/11 and delete the 11 folder.

That smiley face should be a colon and a p.

WOW, thanks for that you are a real angel. I should have come here before I started to tinker, having re-installed I have to get back to where I was and I guess I will have used one of my activations so I will have to check that out. At least I will know better next time, I guessed I panic, words like Fatal Error tend to do that to me.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yah I found that on a forum for a different smithmicro program and tried it on poser and it worked. Poser has been giving me that error a couple times a night in the last few days so I have it memorized.

Smithmicro has the information on their site too but they don't tell you where to find the files.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you guys all have Poser updated to version 11.1.

I'm still at version 11.0.7.33999, and haven't updated to 11.1 because of problems I've seen reported on the SM Poser forum, and Renderosity, I believe. Most of the original problems were not being able to download and install the Content files, but there have been other issues with that update as well.

That said, however, this is the first time I've seen this particular issue reported. Hopefully this will be resolved with the next update, or P12/PP12, whichever appears first.

Miss B

CV-BEE
After reading what SM suggests, I realized I do the backup of preference files all the time. I even do it with Blender, and any other piece of software when I've set up the UI to the way I like to work. It saves a lot of time having to redo it every time I update to a new version, though with Poser, they update the version you already have installed on your computer.

With software like Blender, I usually install the new version clean so I can play with it to see if I want to keep it, so I have both versions for a while until I'm satisfied with the newer version. Having the preferences saved means I don't have to redo it all with the new version.

Hornet3d

Wise
After reading what SM suggests, I realized I do the backup of preference files all the time. I even do it with Blender, and any other piece of software when I've set up the UI to the way I like to work. It saves a lot of time having to redo it every time I update to a new version, though with Poser, they update the version you already have installed on your computer.

With software like Blender, I usually install the new version clean so I can play with it to see if I want to keep it, so I have both versions for a while until I'm satisfied with the newer version. Having the preferences saved means I don't have to redo it all with the new version.

I do a backup of my preference files as well as I have had problems in the past but this one is a first for me. I have been running Poser 11 with the new update since I purchased it in December last year and and the only regular problem I have is the library panel sometimes goes blank, it stays that way if you stop and restart the library so a full restart of Poser is required. I now use Library Manager 2 so it is not an issue.

Problem here is I uninstalled Poser and even deleted the sub folder in the program folder and neither the install or the update would work. Deleting the Poser 11 data file as Janet suggested solved the problem but I was still left having to re-activate the installation Thankfully I had my poser scripts and preferences backed up so I am now back where I left it last night.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I now use Library Manager 2 so it is not an issue.
Interesting that it works with P11/PP11, as Basil wrote that for P8. That's what I'm using with P9 now, because there's no other way to do an external Library.

With PP11 I have it set up to use an external library so I can access everything with my browser. I didn't need to do that, except for some reason, and I'm not the only one who complained about this when it first came out, but every time I'd scroll down to select, for instance, a Mat file, it would jump back up to the beginning of the list. I found that soooo annoying, that I went hunting for a solution, and found the browser/external library option, and don't mind it at all. I can go from Firefox to Poser, and back again, with Alt + Tab, and since my browser is spread across the whole monitor, I can see 4 or 5 thumbnails across each row, so very full Mat, Pose, whatever folders don't need to be scrolled all that much to find what I want. I like that. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
Interesting that it works with P11/PP11, as Basil wrote that for P8. That's what I'm using with P9 now, because there's no other way to do an external Library.

With PP11 I have it set up to use an external library so I can access everything with my browser. I didn't need to do that, except for some reason, and I'm not the only one who complained about this when it first came out, but every time I'd scroll down to select, for instance, a Mat file, it would jump back up to the beginning of the list. I found that soooo annoying, that I went hunting for a solution, and found the browser/external library option, and don't mind it at all. I can go from Firefox to Poser, and back again, with Alt + Tab, and since my browser is spread across the whole monitor, I can see 4 or 5 thumbnails across each row, so very full Mat, Pose, whatever folders don't need to be scrolled all that much to find what I want. I like that. ;)

Yep I noticed that, the number of times I have had a message when trying to load something only for me to find the library had scrolled to the top of the list and I had selected something different to what I thought I had selected. There is a lot I like about Poser 11 but the library is not one of them.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have to agree, especially since this is my first Pro version. ;)

I never had a real problem with Poser 2014 Pro, I think it is my favorite version in many ways but then I did not use the library for long before I moved over the Library Manager.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I bought LM2 from RDNA when it was still in business, but for some reason I never set it up. Now that my P9 needs it, it's a blessing in disguise.

Hornet3d

Wise
I bought LM2 from RDNA when it was still in business, but for some reason I never set it up. Now that my P9 needs it, it's a blessing in disguise.

Having got used to it I found it difficult going back to the Poser library until someone told me LM2 would work in Poser 11.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm definitely going to remember that, in case I need to do that at some point.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
After reading what SM suggests, I realized I do the backup of preference files all the time.....

I would guess that's what most people do. I'm still on PP 11.0.8.34338 and I'm not generally in a hurry to update programs unless the updates have real benefits or promise to fix issues that I have. After reading this thread, I think I will stay with 11.0.8.34338 for now.

Hornet3d

Wise
SM tech report came back with the answer to my problem (as described here) in just over 12 hours which I thought was good going considering I reported it in a Sunday...well at least my end.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I found their response was fairly quick, though mine was just a question, and not a problem needing resolution.