• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Faster render settings?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Could you elaborate a bit more please, for Iray or 3dl for example - interior or exterior etc.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
IRAY. I'm rendering a movie that used Stonemason's jungle construction set and the HiveWire big cat.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
OK.
Do you have a Nvidia card or are you rendering with CPU only.
Good lighting helps a lot to speed up times.
I tend to only do stills so there may be tricks I don't know about.
What render settings are you using?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Don't know about the card. Basically default settings except set for a movie.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Janet :) In order to find out the specific graphics card that you have, just check it by clicking START -> All Programs - > Accessories folder -> System Tools folder -> System Information -> Components -> Display

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Cool! I'm playing around with 3Delight but there's one texture that shows up white when I use it.

skylab

Esteemed
I don't know much about DS, that's why I was slow to respond...but I knew I could help you find the graphics card. Have you tried Iray? Or if you're trying to do an animation, you might not want to do that....might take the rest of your life to finish rendering...haha...at least on my computer it would, since I don't have a dedicated graphics card.

If you google your graphics card with OpenGL 3, it gives your card's capabilities...looks like you'll be in good shape for upgrades for quite awhile, including Blender 2.8, and Reallusion stuff.

:coding:

Last edited:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yah it took 28 hours for a 152 frame animation. Decided to try Octane for a month. I like the way DS renders over Poser.

skylab

Esteemed
That's the main reason I decided to not invest in a new computer...because, as in your case, you have a better than average graphics card, about all that I could afford (close to $200 on Amazon), and even that can't handle rendering animations. I just considered all the factors, and my age, and concluded that I can't afford the quality of a movie production studio...and if 3D software will be courting that market in the future, I'll just have to wave bye bye to all of it, and just continue on with hobbyist level playing around, just for fun :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
When I was working, I usually would get a new hard drive about every 18 months to two years...but now, retired on a fixed income, can't chase after the bus any more...haha :)

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I don't create animations, and only render small ones that are a few frames for testing. But for general Iray to check my scene and lights, I use some down and dirty settings that a vendor shared during a live tutorial in a public forum for quick rendering. You could certainly use them for animations I would think.
Your mileage may vary, but it works ok for me to speed up renders so I can tweak them more quickly. I try to put the camera in Nvidia mode if I can unless the scene is huge. Save often!!!

Render Mode -Photoreal
Progressive Rendering - Max Samples 100, Max Time (sec) 90
Disable Rendering Quality

Under Environment - Use Dome and Scene
Draw Dome Off
Dome Mode- Infinite Sphere
Env Intensity 1, Env Map 2,0 Env Lighting Res - 512
Ground -Off (doing this makes it render faster whenever it's off

Under Texture compression - I have Medium 512, and High 4096 ( you can turn this down if you want) I leave mine high.

Under Advanced
High Threshold -4096
Under Hardware- check GForce (whatever it shows for your card) Mine says GeForce GTX 1071 Ti
Check OptiX PrimeAcceleration
Under Interactive Devices check your graphics card again

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Hey Janet these are some Iray settings for Fast, Medium, and Slow you might try them and see how you like them. If you are running Iray with 3DL textures and Iray textures it will really slow down the render times. Also, as Sapat said, turning off the enviro dome and ground will speed up your render times. You need to make sure that all the material settings are for Iray. MDL shaders are also different than Iray Uber and they slow it down too to bring out more details . You ,might want to up the 95 coverage ratio on the slow setting to 98 as 95 will render sort of grainy depending on your lighting. You're graphics card also plays a large role in how quickly you can run renders. So,........... that's why some people like more than one unless you want to shell out the big bucks for a Titian. LOL
Fast Settings.jpg
Medium Settings.jpg
Slow Settings.jpg

Last edited:

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
MDL shaders are also different that Iray Uber and they slow it down too
Not exactly. It's very shader-dependent. Many simple MDL shaders, such as some NVIDIA examples shipped with Studio, are faster.

Sorry, I can't really help with faster render settings, my standard render settings are like NA's slow. And I do only stills.
A couple of hints:
1. Turn update interval to 30-60s for final renders, for hard renders I can make it up to 300-600s. Saves a few processor cycles.
2. For animation, it may be a good idea to switch render quality engine off. May be a bad idea too. But for some PBR render engines, it makes lighting more consistent between frames.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Handling animations with PBR can be quite tricky because every configuration detail can become a time multiplier when you render frames by the hundreds. No matter what rendering settings you have, what's present on the scene can also affect rendering times. For example, trees and plants with transparency maps on every leaf can be a performance killer even to Octane. It will slow down *any* rendering engine to a crawl. I have a render I did with a single willow tree I created where the branch leaves had transparency maps, and Octane has chocked on it right away. Removing the tree renders in 95 seconds, but with it present on the background, it takes over an hour.

In addition, your GTX 1050 has only 768 SPs (streaming processors), and that is a limiting factor for CUDA rendering. For example, my much older GTX 980 ti has 2816 SPs, which has a huge impact on CUDA rendering performance. This is a case when the older video card will outperform the newer one many times fold, and no I-ray settings can make up for it. When it comes to CUDA-accelerated rendering, raw performance depends mostly on the video card specs, and nearly nothing on the rest of the computer - assuming the video card slot has the necessary specs (e.g., PCIex 16 4x). Sometimes you have the right GPU, but the motherboard slot it's sitting doesn't provide the necessary specs.

One trick I use to speed up animation rendering speeds is to limit the max samples per frame to a really low number, like 50 or even as low as 30, depending on what's present in your scene. This may end up with a noisy animation, but the nVidia has introduced a new AI-Denoiser to I-ray that can make up for it. Not sure if DAZ has updated DS to have this yet, but if not, it will eventually have it.

Finally, all PBR rendering engines suffer from noisy images if your scenes lack enough lighting to cover all areas. Make sure your lights illuminate ALL parts of the scene, even if just faintly. Unlit areas will make it impossible for the rendering engine to clear the noise, no matter the settings. In other words, a well-lit scene will render faster with less noise.

Hope this helps.