• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Eyeing my texture sets from MilCats and MilDogs thinking

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It would be great if their were Texture Transformer or Texture Converter sets to convert the Mil Cat to HiverWire Cat and to the HiveWire Horse as well as one to convert MilHorse to HWH.
And one for the Mil Dog to convert to HiveWire Dog.
My mind has been busy even if I'm not...lol.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
One of the things I discovered in my recent character creation efforts was that you can use old texture resources or maps for 3D painting (I'm using Blender for this, so it's free) just like you would an original photo resource.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, someone one on the SM Poser forum mentioned being able to "paint" in Blender, but I can't figure out how. I did find a TexDraw option, but where's the "brush"??

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. :D

OK, never mind. I was looking through my bookmarks and found I had a Blender Intro to Painting Textures, and NOW I remember how to get the Paint Brush. ~shakes head~ I had seen it before, but it was so long ago, silly me forgot where it was.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It would be great if someone was able to create an alternate uv for DS for all of them. I find Texture Transformer fiddly...I've given up on converting V4 using it but I'm trying to work out how to create alternate uv's for myself. Unfortunately wouldn't be able to share but it would be great if we could...

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
DPHoadly from Renderosity made a remap for V3 to v4 (or was it V2 to V3?) some years back.
He is good at remapping the UVs.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I don't know DP Hoadly...but I will continue to perservere and try and work out how to do it for myself. Thanks...

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
He showed us all the steps as he worked and I tested the map for him.
I think I still have that...lol.
But I can't remember the steps to do it, I think he had permission to do that.
Doubt he would do these as he more or less prefers the Poser people. :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I don't think my Mil-Cat sets are high res enough to look right, they would look stretched.

Ah well, maybe I'll just try later but tonight I am ready to stretch some more and watch Netflix or sleep.
Been hurting all day and Tylenol is not helping...sigh.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I don't think my Mil-Cat sets are high res enough to look right, they would look stretched.

Ah well, maybe I'll just try later but tonight I am ready to stretch some more and watch Netflix or sleep.
Been hurting all day and Tylenol is not helping...sigh.
Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better soon.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
OK, someone one on the SM Poser forum mentioned being able to "paint" in Blender, but I can't figure out how. I did find a TexDraw option, but where's the "brush"??

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. :D

OK, never mind. I was looking through my bookmarks and found I had a Blender Intro to Painting Textures, and NOW I remember how to get the Paint Brush. ~shakes head~ I had seen it before, but it was so long ago, silly me forgot where it was.
So, a few things I found out only by doing.

If you have some spare dollars, I recommend BPainter. I haven't used it, but having worked around it, I can say that it would make things much easier.

If you want to work in Cycles (as I do- makes rendered view work easily), you need to set up materials with relevant textures. If you want layers, you need a Blend node with the "top" (second) layer's alpha channel plugged into the mix input. For example, you can
  1. Make a new texture for your material zone (say Face, Body, etc.). Set the background to whatever is most convenient. Save the image (Image Editor Window > Image > Save As Image) to a folder somewhere before you start working, and make sure to save it along the way as you work.
  2. (Optional) Make a second texture to layer on top of the second. Set the background color to whatever is convenient and the alpha to 0.
  3. Create a regular diffuse material (Diffuse BSDF) with the color set to either your one image texture or a MixRGB node (Color > MixRGB) with the first texture as the first color input, your second texture as the second color input, and your second texture's alpha channel as the input for the MixRGB node's factor ("Fac:") input .

There is, as far as I can tell, no way to set a constant size for a stencil in relation to a model or view. That is to say, if you zoom out, the brush and the stencil stay the same size. It would be so, so much better if it scaled proportionally related to the zoom, but there you go. The best way to work is to maintain a constant zoom and stencil scale as much as possible, so it's probably better to start zoomed in. That said, you can eyeball certain stuff.

Stencils are what you want for projection painting. Masks are what you want for textured painting, like freckles or pores. If you find "alphas," that's where you should use them. You should set masks to non-color color space, and if you want them to work kind of like a Photoshop brush, under Texture Mask: Mask Mapping choose View Plane or Random.

For layers (or just to be careful), when you make the new texture to paint in, you want to set the alpha of the background color to 0.

If you want an erase brush, make a new brush from the TexDraw default, and set its Blend mode to Erase Alpha.

Handpainting is _much_ easier if you start building a palette. The color picker has an eyedropper that you can use.

I'm still not sure how the Clone brush is supposed to work. It seems like it essentially works like the regular brush with Stencil, so I'm not sure of the point. I'll look it into it more and tell you if I find anything that clarifies its use.

One of the nicest things about using Blender's 3D paint, IMHO, is that you don't have to worry about overlapping UV maps as long as they're in different material zones (as they'd need to be). It just automatically has you paint in the last active slot of the materials you're painting on, even if that's not what you have selected. You _can_ give a mesh multiple UV maps in Blender, but you don't have to just to paint on a figure with separate maps for limbs, face, and body.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Very interesting KK. Someone mentioned BPaint on the Renderosity Blender forum yesterday, and I had never heard of it. There was another, similar software the poster mentioned, but I don't recall off-hand which one it was, as I had never heard of that one either.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Oh, yes! I'm on the light theme, with blue links. I forget that you can choose a completely different interface.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Managed to get the House Cat and trying my hand at textures for it.
Here is a Firefly render of one I just finished.
This is not a re-do of my Mil-Cat sets, it is all new.
FabulousFawn.png