• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DS texture question

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
In Poser, you can scale and reposition an image within the shader (for example, on the diffuse channel) to fit the UV position on the model. If, for example, the UV mapping for the eye on your model is tucked up in the top left quarter of the model's UV map, you can create an eye texture that fills an entire image file, then, within the shader, resize and reposition so it's correct for the model. If you wanted the same level of detail and used the full texture map, your tex map would be twice the width and height, and if you were only wanting to re-texture the eyes leaving the rest untouched that would be a lot of wasted pixels and unneeded data.

All that loooong explanation, to get to the question: Apparently you can do the same in DS, using tiling, but where do I FIND that? From the research I've done already, there should be a geometry section for iRay where I need to set the tiling parameters, but I can't find anything under Edit-Object-Geometry or any Geometry parameter in the Surfaces. There should be a tiling section for 3Delight, and I can't find that either. Idiot's guide to finding it? It's probably so obvious nobody's written it down. Maybe I need to open a viewport that isn't open by default, or something?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't do 3DL but the only Iray tiling is in the "Surface" textures near the bottom (not sure it will do exactly want you want tho)

glennf

Eager
This is the only tiling that I know of in Iray.
Tiling.jpg