• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Download platform recommendations?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Not sure of the best venue for this- suggestions for that welcome!

I need to revamp my freebies site, which is currently running PostNuke. I would love to use a system that allows me (either immediately or via plugins) to:
  • Post a thumbnail or illustration with each freebie in the listing
  • Display freebies within categories to help make them easy to find
  • Offer a search facility (would also be helpful if each download can then be tagged individually)
I won't need a calendar, ads or forum, so weakness with those aspects is not a problem (so long as they can be turned off if they exist). I don't want to force people to sign up in order to be able to download so downloads should be accessible without a login. It would be nice if I could add my own header image but I'm not bothered about having a wide array of available themes. It would be good if I could set the main download index as the front page.

Does anyone have any experience of, or recommendation for/against, a content management system or other equivalent platform that would be appropriate, and can be installed onto my own (Apache) server, preferably a lightweight one? I already have some experience of Joomla, Wordpress and phpWebSite but there's newer and lesser-known ones out there that I know nothing about.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've not gotten into Joomla or Drupal, and have not heard of phpWebSite, so am going to look into it.

That said, I've used WordPress on a few client websites, and am thinking of using it on my 2D Graphics site, as it has sorely needed an update for a long time. I did try MODx for it, and even though it has a lot of plugins, as WordPress does, I found I'm more used to the WordPress Dashboard, so am thinking I'm going to go with that instead.

Other than those 2, I haven't played with many other CMS apps to give you any suggestions.