• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Do you have this file? RTE Encoder

quietrob

Extraordinary
I need the file RTE Encoder.

The Website is down and all links to the source forms a circular failure. If you have this file and would be willing to share it, you'd have my gratitude.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I think it's been seen in the Rendo freestuff.

I think that's a dead link if it's still there.

The official RTEncoder site has, sadly, been down for a long time. It's not available at this time (as far as I know), and as the ReadMe doesn't specify "free to redistribute", we can't have anyone post on the forum with an offer of giving anyone a copy. Sorry :(

However, there is a working JAVA version here:

RTEJava

quietrob

Extraordinary
I understand. I guess it was wrong for me to ask. It's just that the readme of the item I'm decoding said to use RTEencoder. Though the readme for RTEencoder doesn't specify "free to distribute", the software application itself ensures that the user must have the original copy of the model they are going to decode. I'm pretty sure it references the OBJ file rather than the Cr2.

@StudioMartillo the link at the forum is indeed a dead link (404 file not found). Still, thanks for the suggestion. I blame no one. Rendo has free stuff files from at least 2006 and can't possibly account for every link. I'm thankful they keep they files they do. I found no way to contact Mr. Cook, the creator of the RTEencoder or I would've asked him to send me the link and I'd host it from my dropbox.

RTEJava. I found it. No documentation on how to use it. A lot of files but I admit to being in the dark as how to proceed with it.

My thanks to those who've helped me with suggestions (and more) as I rebuild my runtime.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
No worries, Rob!

I think I have some instructions on using it. Hang on a sec

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
No worries, Rob!

I think I have some instructions on using it. Hang on a sec

Tiny's Fur for the DAZ Cat has a very nice tutorial for using it included with the product. It was the first time I ever used RTE and Tiny's great instructions walked me through it the first time.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Thanks! The file I'm trying to use the RTEencoder for, says they won't say how to do it because the website gives a walkthrough on how to use it. As listed above, the website is down and apparently has been down for sometime so no walkthrough! Good thing I shave my head or I would be pulling what few hairs I have left!

I'm trying to save up for a new external drive so I can't get the Tiny Fur for the instructions. Besides, the information is out there and people are kind. Thanks again!

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I can take Tiny's tutorial and redo it to be generic, but it'll take time - got a lot on my plate. Meanwhile:a

Here ya go, Old post of Icprncss at DAZ from a few years back.

Download and install the app.

Unzip the files with the rte files in them. Make sure you know what files you need to decode the files (this should be in the coded files readme) and where they are. If you don't have the key files, you can't decode the files.

Once you have all that, launch the RTE encoder app. Find the rte files. These are the coded files.

Find the output file. This is the name you want the decoded files to be. When it's showing in the output box, click ok.

You will get another screen with three lines. The output file will be listed. Locate the key file. This is the file you are using to decode the coded file. Usually it is an obj file but it can be an entire zip file. Browse to find it, place it in the key box. Usually you only need one key file. If you need more than one, the coded file's read me will tell you. If there is a key phrase, it will be in the read me. If there isn't, this screen shouldn't even come up. Same for encryption phrase. If they do and there are no phrases, I'm not sure what the heck you do. I'm still trying to find the older one that doesn't use all the folderol.

Verify your rte file, where you want the decoded file to go to and the key file you are decoding from. The phrases if they are used. If everything is there, hit ok. The files should decode.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I don't see any executable file. I know it sounds silly but what file do I use to launch the decoder?

quietrob

Extraordinary
It's sooo strange. So many files...not one decent instruction.

It's like :

1) Select your area of space.
2) Use the Java Einstein-Rosen Wormhole creator to create your wormhole.
3) If any issues arise go to step 1.

I know the original was easier than this....

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
LOL!

umm. err..

I've never used the Java version either.

Lemme see...
Here's what Tiny says:

There is one version for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux users, and a second version for users of Mac OS 8 or 9. Choose the decoder that works with your system and unpack to a place where you can easily find it.

Do not move the executable RTEJava.jar file from its folder; you can make an alias or shortcut for this file and move that to wherever you like.

In this example I use the decoder for Windows; the principle is the same for Mac OS.

1. Find the unpacked RTEJava application and

2. double click the RTEJava.jar file.

It should open and show a startup screen, an "About ..." screen, and then the main window. If it does not start, make sure you have Java properly installed on your computer (see above).

Does that help any?

quietrob

Extraordinary
I know a jar file is java way of storing things so that's a big help. I can start there. People who have commented on the RTE encoder aren't fond of the Java version or haven't used it.

Still I'm game so I'll give it a go. I mean, someone has used it. How hard can it be. By the way, windows 7 came with a version of java. Windows 10 DOESN'T. I'm off to Oracle. I'm pretty sure they made the java platform.

Thanks for your time, Alisa! I bet we're keeping you busy!

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
You're welcome :)

Yep, definitely keeping busy !!

quietrob

Extraordinary
When in doubt. Read the instructions.

I kept coming back to this micro thread. When JavaRte didn't work, I typed in, Java for Windows 10. Followed the steps and this time, I doubleclicked on the rar file that contained the RTE file. Selected 'Open With' and the Java Screen came up. From there I used the instructions that the Queen Bee had listed and it was over so quick I didn't have time to sip my coffee.

The file has been decoded. The new CR2 with PNG and the OBJ have been installed in my runtime.

Success!

My thanks to the Peacekeeper, @Alisa ,@Glitterati3D and @mininessie ;) for your help. @StudioMartillo I don't need that defunct file now but thank you.

To all lurkers. This is how it should be done!

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
You're welcome and YAY!

I am glad it worked :)

Surprised that you didn't have to uncompress the RAR file first and then do the "open with" on the RTE file itself. Interesting!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Hmmm, let's see.
1) Uncompressed rar files that needed to be decoded.
2)After downloading Java, uncompressed rar files containing java version of rtencoder (RTEJAVA)
3) Inside the second rar mentioned, there was another file named rtejava--Clicked on that file and it opened to the RTEJava interface.
4)There it requested the file to be decoded. Navigated to the proper file (See step 1) and clicked.
5) Next it was requested the file it was going to modify (in this case, an obj).
6)clicked Decode. It was so fast that I didn't think anything had happened. But once it finishes it says quite demurely "decoding finished".

Yesterday was a long day and night but I'm pretty sure that was the sequence of events, Queen Bee.

(I love saying Queen Bee!)

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks!

LOL, Actually though, I am QAV Queen Bee. LisaB is THE Queen Bee!!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Y'know, I''m pretty sure that QAV stands for Quality Assurance Vendor but just in case I googled, QAV. Nothing relevant came up.

Next I googled QAV Queen Bee. YOU came up! LOL!

Of course I love Lisa B. Even being chided by her means I'm part of the family.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
QA does stand for Quality Assurance, but I doubt the V stands for Vendor. ;)

If I had to guess, and this is strictly a guess, I'd say QAV stands for Quality Assurance Verification, or something similar.