• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn Questions

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
I'm very slowly making my first outfit for Dawn. I'm starting in Poser 11 and had made some textures for my outfit in Substance Painter. These work great for Iray but they are not creating very good textures for SuperFly. I can't see where there are any special SF only nodes. Pretty much all looks like FireFly setup to me. Am I missing something?

I will make the Daz Studio conversion when I'm done with Poser.

I'm also having an issue with Dawn rendering black in SuperFly. Any suggestions?

It's been over a year since I made any clothes so I'm really rusty. I've had this modeled for 3-1/2 months.
dawn-dress-outfit.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey NGA, are you asking about SuperFly only nodes in Substance Painter, or in Poser 11?

I'm not familiar with Substance Painter, but in Poser11/PoserPro11, go into the Advanced tab of the Material room, right-click anywhere in the empty area to the right of the PoserSurface palette, and choose New > Root and you'll see 2 new Root nodes. One is PhysicalSurface, but I don't think you would use that for clothing. I've played with it while trying to create some nice marble shaders.

The other new Root node is CyclesSurface, and that's probably the one you want to look at.

Just to be clear, you can leave the PoserSurface palette and attached nodes for use with FireFly renders, and have the CyclesSurface palette with attached nodes for use with SuperFly renders. You would just need to select the FireFly Root checkbox at the top of the PoserSurface palette, and then select the SuperFly Root checkbox at the top of the CyclesSurface palette. (See the screenshot below).

Then you would select the Surface node of the CylesSurface palette to attach a node, and you will see a Cycles group below the usual FireFly nodes, and if you expand that, you'll see all the SuperFly nodes you could possibly want. (Also see the screenshot below).

SuperFlyMaterials.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
Thank you both for such quick answers. Both of these are new to me so will have to investigate them per your instructions. More new stuff to learn, lol.

Oops, forgot, was asking about SF nodes in Poser11 so your answer was what I needed Miss Bl :)

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
Hi Miss B, I played with the cycles but I can't get it to respect my uv maps. Shaders work fine. Do you know of any easy to understand tutorials for using Cycles?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hi Miss B, I played with the cycles but I can't get it to respect my uv maps. Shaders work fine. Do you know of any easy to understand tutorials for using Cycles?
I wish I could say yes, but unfortunately, I'm still learning Cycles and SuperFly.

Have you been over to the Smith Micro Poser Forum at all? I ask because there are a lot of very knowledge folks over there. You should consider posting your image and explaining your problem, and see if someone over there knows how to use UV mapped textures with Cycles.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
This might help. It helped me in working with 3dCoat PBR materials which I ended up using in Poser.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Just wanted to say beautiful outfit, and I love the detail on the bracer. I envy your skill on both the modeling and the texturing. I'm working on my own (but don't worry, very different) outfit that includes a bracer, and still figuring out how I want to texture it and how much detail to put in the mesh, and how much into the texture (mine is meant to be metal, not leather).

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
Thank you Gadget Girl, don't ever worry about what other people are making. We all have different styles and our creations end up being our own unique looks. Nothing would get made if artists didn't want to make what someone has already made because it's all been made before. If you want to make a leather texture for yours, please do. I'd be happy to see what you do with yours as you move along.

David, I found the export information in the tutorial interesting. My textures look better in SuperFly after I applied some of the gamma settings.

I've actually gotten the waist wrap completely done for Poser. First clothing piece morphed, rigged with one texture. Just need to keep plugging away on this project.

RobZhena

Adventurous
Hey NGA, are you asking about SuperFly only nodes in Substance Painter, or in Poser 11?

I'm not familiar with Substance Painter, but in Poser11/PoserPro11, go into the Advanced tab of the Material room, right-click anywhere in the empty area to the right of the PoserSurface palette, and choose New > Root and you'll see 2 new Root nodes. One is PhysicalSurface, but I don't think you would use that for clothing. I've played with it while trying to create some nice marble shaders.

The other new Root node is CyclesSurface, and that's probably the one you want to look at.

Just to be clear, you can leave the PoserSurface palette and attached nodes for use with FireFly renders, and have the CyclesSurface palette with attached nodes for use with SuperFly renders. You would just need to select the FireFly Root checkbox at the top of the PoserSurface palette, and then select the SuperFly Root checkbox at the top of the CyclesSurface palette. (See the screenshot below).

Then you would select the Surface node of the CylesSurface palette to attach a node, and you will see a Cycles group below the usual FireFly nodes, and if you expand that, you'll see all the SuperFly nodes you could possibly want. (Also see the screenshot below).

View attachment 22854

Hope that helps. :)

And this is why I don't use Superfly!

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I'm not big on having to learn new stuff especially when it seems that it all gets thrown at me at the same time. For me it was being comfortable at RDNA then it got sold without warning and Poser 11 was new and now I had to learn Daz Studio and then ZBrush and then Substance Painter. I can't keep up...I'm too old, lol.

Miss B

CV-BEE
And this is why I don't use Superfly!
This is why it's taking me a long time to learn it. I'll probably get comfortable with it when the next version of Poser comes out . . . or maybe not. SuperFly is based on Blender's Cycles, which I have used some, but still not the same, as I'm more apt to use the Cycles render engine in Blender, rather than actually setting up a Cycles shader since I don't, as a rule, do final renders in Blender.