• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Comparing 3D modelling programs - Pros and Cons

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
A discussion was started elsewhere regarding modelling programs. I've moved those posts here so we can continue discussing the pros and cons of different modelling programs.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I only have Wings 3D as my main modeler. I have Blender but I can't really use it.

I wish 3DSMax was a bit cheaper. I'd like to get it. I downloaded Maya, but oh my god is it expensive!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have been using 3DSMAX since version 2 for DOS (before Windows came up). It wasn't so expensive back then. I have tried switching to Maya but I couldn't stand the interface. Some people claim Maya is the easiest program to learn, while others claim it's the hardest ever. In Japan, a lot of people create wonderful things using just Metasequoia, a tiny and cheap program with the weirdest interface. In the end, the best program is the one that works for you.

DAZ3D is selling Hexagon 2.5 for only $19.95, and it has a direct bridge with DAZ Studio. :)

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I have been using 3DSMAX since version 2 for DOS (before Windows came up). It wasn't so expensive back then. I have tried switching to Maya but I couldn't stand the interface. Some people claim Maya is the easiest program to learn, while others claim it's the hardest ever. In Japan, a lot of people create wonderful things using just Metasequoia, a tiny and cheap program with the weirdest interface. In the end, the best program is the one that works for you.

DAZ3D is selling Hexagon 2.5 for only $19.95, and it has a direct bridge with DAZ Studio. :)
Yeah, Wings was easy to learn, but limited in what it can do. I can't do anything but box modeling. No spline or anything else. Blender does what Maya does, and even has an option to switch to the Maya UI. I am just having so much trouble learning Blender.
What I don't like about any of the Autodesk programs is that they are monthly prescriptions now. At between $175 - $300 USD per session, there is no way I can afford to use either product. The demo versions won't allow you to export to .obj or any other format, so I can't even truly try them out. How do I know if the model I created will work in Poser if I can't export it?

I had the free version of Hexagon. I didn't like the UI. And I don't use DS...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have tried to learn Blender too, and I found the workflow a bit cumbersome. There was just too much mouse clicking involved, I was afraid my mouse would wear off before I could finish the model. LOL

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Rokket, a friend of mine alerted me to the fact you can download any of the Autodesk softwares with a 3-year educational license. He downloaded 3DS Max, and I downloaded Maya. This was back in May 2015, and I keep getting notices of updates, so it's a full working app. The only restriction is, the license will expire in May 2018, and I assume if I don't buy a license then, I won't be able to use it.

That said, I went through 6 videos just to figure out the UI. If you think Blender's hard to learn, you ain't seen nothin' yet sir. Of course, I've been using Blender since long before the new UI debsign debuted with version 2.5x, so I don't find it hard. It will take a lot of patience to learn how to use it, but considering it can do anything Maya can do, AND is open source and free of charge, I think I'd rather spend the time learning how to use the free software.

I think Wings was the first modeler I played with years ago, and the biggest problem I had with it is, I don't/can't use a mouse because of chronic CTS, and using a pen/tablet setup with Wings is not easy. Every time I tried to drag something (like extruding a face), it would wind up off the screen/workspace, and I had to hit the Tab key to bring up a dialog box where I could type in specific settings. It's too bad, because I did create a really cute dog house from a tutorial. I just found it frustrating for a non-mouse user.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have tried to learn Blender too, and I found the workflow a bit cumbersome. There was just too much mouse clicking involved, I was afraid my mouse would wear off before I could finish the model. LOL
Hmmmm, I use my keyboard for a lot of actions in Blender, but do use my pen/tablet for selecting large areas for moving, rotating and/or resizing.

As you said above, it's what you get used to. I tried Hexagon 2 years ago, back in 2005 IIRC, and again a few years ago with version 2.5, and even with some of its limitations, my biggest problem was how unstable it was. I don't know if it's because my current laptop is running 64-bit Win7, unlike my old 32-bit WinXP laptop, but I can't get it to behave at all.

I have discovered, and like, Silo which isn't that expensive compared to the Autodesk products.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This might be like Poser and DS: the best one is the one you got used to first. ^^

Miss B

CV-BEE
True, though my first 3D app was Bryce. ;)

I used Poser 5 for a while, and though I think I learned a lot, I had problems with it stalling every time I tried to render. Of course, I don't know that it was P5's fault, as that was back on my old Win98 SE desktop, and maybe that version of Windows didn't like playing nice with Poser.

I started playing in DS 2 when it first came out on my laptop at that time, and I liked it. I upgraded to DS 3A when it came out, which I still have installed and use, and then acquired DS 4.0P when Genesis1 came out, and I've not had any problems with it either, and still use it when I have Gen5 characters in a render.

I only got back into Poser because of Dawn, and now Dusk, Luna, Harry, et al., and I'm happy to say that even though there was quite a few years between my use of P5 and P9, I pretty much retained what I needed to use Poser again. I only had to learn the "newer" stuff, if any, that wasn't available, or I never bothered to learn, back then. I like both pieces of software, I just gave up buying into the newer versions of Genesis, so didn't feel a need to keep updating DS.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I've got started with Poser like a decade before DS came out, so it wasn't an option at the time and long after. DS versions 1 and 2 felt underdeveloped coming from Poser, but DS 3 finally presented something promising. Then there was DS4, which sort of divided previous users, where some refuse to upgrade. I never came to try DS4 until Dawn came out, so it was the opposite of how it happened with you. ;)

But since DS started to depart from the Poser market, it also started this sort of rivalry between users from both sides, so there is some prejudice involved nowadays. That said, I was actually very surprised by how good the rigging tools were in DS. But I guess the decisive factors [for me] were the Poser Material Room and lighting/rendering models. Ironically, none of this mattered after I've switched to Octane, since materials, lighting and rendering are no longer done in Poser. ^^

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Hey Rokket, a friend of mine alerted me to the fact you can download any of the Autodesk softwares with a 3-year educational license. He downloaded 3DS Max, and I downloaded Maya. This was back in May 2015, and I keep getting notices of updates, so it's a full working app. The only restriction is, the license will expire in May 2018, and I assume if I don't buy a license then, I won't be able to use it.

Interesting. I did see that option, but I thought you had to be a student or educator to use it. I did download the demo of Maya. I was getting frustrated because I didn't have internet access to watch the tutorials and I ended up uninstalling it. I will go back and check out the 3DS Max site again and see about the 3 year license and if I can get it. I think if I do get it and learn it, Blender will be easier to use because I can change the UI to mimic 3DS Max. Thanks for letting me know you did it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
There ya go, and you're quite welcome. I didn't know you could do that and not be a student or educator either. I found the videos on that site, IIRC, and I was able to download them, so check that out.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
This might be like Poser and DS: the best one is the one you got used to first. ^^
I have a feeling it's going to be like that for me, starting out in Wings. But I need something that can do spline modeling and poly to poly modeling along with box modeling. I am so limited on what I can create and on getting things to look right. The biggest headache I have so far is topology. It takes A LOT of tweaking to get box model edge flow right for animation.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
There ya go, and you're quite welcome. I didn't know you could do that and not be a student or educator either. I found the videos on that site, IIRC, and I was able to download them, so check that out.
I will be looking into that tonight. I am going to take my laptop ashore so that I can be on a much more stable WIFI signal and get it downloaded. I will also finally get my purchases that I have in my cart here in the store!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
3DS Max is asking me for the name of the educational institution I belong to....?

I need to supply a name and phone number. I guess I am not getting that license. I can't afford the subscription price either.

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Rokket I had the impression the free license was for educational use, but I didn't know it was only for students. Adobe started this subscription model, and looks like more companies are adopting it, and Autodesk was no exception. The makers of Marvelous Designer did the same, and I wasn't too happy about it.

Rokket

Dances with Bees

[USER=208]@Rokket
I had the impression the free license was for educational use, but I didn't know it was only for students. Adobe started this subscription model, and looks like more companies are adopting it, and Autodesk was no exception. The makers of Marvelous Designer did the same, and I wasn't too happy about it.[/USER]

I am not happy about it at all. If I like the software, I have no problems paying for it. Once. I don't like having to pay over and over again for something I shouldn't have to. I downloaded Autodesk 360. I am going to see what it's all about. I managed to get the 1 year free license. If it's worth it, I'll most definitely renew it. Free is good. Paying $4,000.00 USD per year is ludicrous.

Miss B

CV-BEE
3DS Max is asking me for the name of the educational institution I belong to....?

I need to supply a name and phone number. I guess I am not getting that license. I can't afford the subscription price either.
Really? How odd, unless it was a special thing they were offering last year. I got it back in May 2015, so it might have been a limited time offer, though I didn't think so. Sorry for the misinformation. :(

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I had the free version of Hexagon. I didn't like the UI. And I don't use DS...
I know a few people who have used Hexagon with Poser as well as DS. The interface once you get used to it is quite good and can be customised so that the tools you use are on the one tab which also makes it easier. I remember buying Milkshape? for $25 years ago but never really managed to do much with it. It was only once I found the Geek at Play tutorials on Hexagon and started to work my way through them that I caught on.
The trick with Hex is to save frequently using the quicksave function which will save numbered saves and also to stop and restart if you've been working for a while. The longer you use it the more unstable it will become. My main gripe with Hex was the uv mapping.

Since then I've been working on learning Zbrush...I also own Silo which I picked up through MacHeist for $20 thanks to Miss B...iirc. I didn't realise that the serial number for a mac version also worked with the pc version. I haven't really played much with Silo yet though.

I think that does have an impact doesn't matter what sort of software you're using. I started with psp years ago and when as a student I first looked at PS I found it really difficult to use but having done an elective at uni I now love it...I occasionally look at Gimp but it doesn't last long as I just look at it and think, nope that's too hard so I stick with PS, even though it's only CS3...I'm not updating to a subscription service.

I've got started with Poser like a decade before DS came out, so it wasn't an option at the time and long after. DS versions 1 and 2 felt underdeveloped coming from Poser, but DS 3 finally presented something promising. Then there was DS4, which sort of divided previous users, where some refuse to upgrade. I never came to try DS4 until Dawn came out, so it was the opposite of how it happened with you. ;)

But since DS started to depart from the Poser market, it also started this sort of rivalry between users from both sides, so there is some prejudice involved nowadays. That said, I was actually very surprised by how good the rigging tools were in DS. But I guess the decisive factors [for me] were the Poser Material Room and lighting/rendering models. Ironically, none of this mattered after I've switched to Octane, since materials, lighting and rendering are no longer done in Poser. ^^
I started with DS...I initially was involved with modding elderscroll games over at Canadian Ice's forum. There was a group of us all started around the same time. Matty, Neil and Sickle all started over there and it was good times as we supported each other in learning DS. I've tried a few times to come to terms with Poser....this last time has been the most successful but I still find it hard to use. I think the trick is to have a support network of some sort.