• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Clothroom headache

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
been playing around in the clothroom and have come across a bit of a problem.
I made a banner/flag that is hung horizontally off a bar by loops, when I run a cloth sim on the banner the loops balloon out to twice the size they were leaving the bar hovering in the middle.
Any ideas what is going on here?
I'll get a pic up in a bit for you all to see what I mean

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
The flag
Flag.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Dreamer, there's a couple of things you can try. I'm assuming the loops are a separate material zone, and if so, you can make the loops Constrained, and if that makes them too stiff, you can delete that selection, and try making them Soft-Decorated.

Those options are in section 3. Cloth Groups in the Cloth Room.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hey Dreamer, there's a couple of things you can try. I'm assuming the loops are a separate material zone, and if so, you can make the loops Constrained, and if that makes them too stiff, you can delete that selection, and try making them Soft-Decorated.

Those options are in section 3. Cloth Groups in the Cloth Room.
Tried that and it made no difference :(

Miss B

CV-BEE
Really? That's surprising. Hmmmmm, then I'm not sure what would cause the loops to expand in size like that.

Maybe Satira will see this next time she's on the forum and give you some suggestions, as she's much more adept at the Cloth Room.

Edited to Add: I just had another thought . . . what do you have the Collision Offset and Collision Depth options set to in the Collide Against dialog box?

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Edited to Add: I just had another thought . . . what do you have the Collision Offset and Collision Depth options set to in the Collide Against dialog box?
Umm the defaults? I didnt even see those settings lol

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, that might be your problem, as the defaults are 1.0 for both. That may very well be keeping the loops too far from the rod.

As a general rule, I use 0.25 for Collision Offset and 0.3 for Collision Depth. If that makes the loops too tight, then loosen them up a bit at a time until you find something you're happy with.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hehe so we did. Now I can start the fun of using the clothroom to make some morphs for it :eek:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've never used the Cloth Room for making morphs, though someone on another forum suggested that I do just that with a ruffle I'm trying add to the front of a dress I'm working on. I'm having problems getting it to look right from all directions, so it was suggested I sim it in the Cloth Room, and then go from there.

I haven't tried it yet, so not exactly sure how it's going to work, but we shall see. ;)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Its not hard at all,as I just found out. Run your sim, object>spawn morph target and there it is :)
And here is the banner behaving its self
Banner.jpg

Reactions: Nod

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Its part of a rather large project that will end up broken into a number of parts but all ment to work together

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
really cool.... I've fallen in love with the cloth room, after years of fearing it! :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Good to hear Lyne. I never went near dynamic clothing, or in this case props, until Satira walked me through simming her Nouvelle Aube outfit. Now I really like it, and have since bought quite a few dynamic items for V4 and Dawn.