• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blender 2.78 is out

eclark1894

Visionary
Just a quick heads up to let you guys know that the new Blender 2.78 is out now and ready for download. I haven't used it myself yet, but here is ashorthand version of some of the new stuff...

The Blender Foundation and online developer community are proud to present Blender 2.78, released September 30th 2016! This release aims to be a very stable one, so that developers can focus better on Blender 2.8 work. Here are some of the highlights:
  • Spherical Stereo images rendering support for VR
  • Grease Pencil is now a full 2D drawing & animation tool!
  • Viewport Rendering improvements
  • New Freehand curves drawing over surfaces!
  • Bendy Bones, powerful new options for B-Bones
  • Alembic support: import/export basic operators
  • Cloth Physics: new Dynamic Base Mesh and Simulation Speed option
  • New Add-ons, individual preferences, Python APIs changes, and a lot of new & updated add-ons!
  • Many more features, improvements and the usual huge bug-fixes list

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh thank you Earl. I was just reading some stuff about it over at Renderosity's Blender forum yesterday. Didn't realize the new update would be available so quickly.

~runs off to grab it~

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Wow, some nice features there. One of these days I'll sit down and try to really learn how to use Blender, not just the 3 things I know how to do in it. It's amazing what a powerful piece of software it is.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yey ....I still cant believe its FREEEEEEEE!!!!!! ( i say this to myself every update)

Below - Experimenting converting particles and importing to Daz Studio
I usually convert particles to mesh. You can also convert fluid sims to mesh as well, but the vert count could get kinda unwieldy.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
Yes, you can do an full ocean animation and use one of my favorite scripts mcjobjstomorphingprop from mcasual to get it animated in Daz Studio no problem, it takes a while to process but once done save as a scene subset for re-use.

hmm ..the new blender 2.78 seems to crash more than previous versions?? I just did a very basic cloth sim and it quit immediately, may try installing again. the last version was more stable on my system

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I just downloaded this one.
Maybe soon I can get a chance to try it, tomorrow at 8:30 I have to be at the surgery center for a stomach scope.
They are going to rung a tube with a camera down my throat to see what is going on with my tummy.
No food tonight from this point on and not water after midnight.
Then after I rest again I will let my latest testers know to restart testing my sets.

I am looking forward to using the new Blender.
With the one before last, I followed a tutorial from a cd and made a beautiful chain necklace with two gem encrusted rings on it.
But lost the files after a crash from my computer and hadn't saved then to disk yet...sigh.
Can't wait to see what I can make in this one. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Blender tutorials out there FL. Just let your imagination run with it. ;)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I think I still have the Blender head I made and the tutorial I used fr it.
One thin I really want to learn is painting the models to make texture maps.
It would be worth the time spent just to finally not have to edit seams in Photoshop. :laugh:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think that's the main reason I've never even thought of attempting any human or animal modeling. Props, depending on the complexity, are easier to texture.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
OOOHHH the new realtime PBR preview is fantastic. There's a tutorial with link to example blend here

Although I'm not much of an animator (lot of learning to do), you can do your test renders rapidly using "OpenglRenderAnimation" with pretty good results for testing how an animation looks

I just rendered 80 frames hd1080 with acceptable shadows and reflections in a couple of minutes on my old pc
......maybe i don't know what im talkin about, but still -not bad :)

Last edited: