• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Any good free tutorials for max?

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I got a copy of 3d max but want to learn how to use it. Other than YouTube what are good sites for max tutorials so I can get the max out of max?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, 3DS Max is sold at Autodesk, so they probably have some tutorials/learning pages on their site.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Indeed, Autodesk has plenty of tutorials, and I think some of them are already at YouTube. There are also some good ones from Lynda.com and DigitalTutors. I think these are the best, but they will not cover anything concerning creating contents for Poser or DS. When I was first getting into Poser content creation (2003), I have found a small but effective 3DSMAX to Poser tutorial by MarkDC that had everything I needed to get started. That was only like 20 minutes long, but it covered everything from modeling to UV mapping, grouping, rigging and texturing. That was 13 years ago, I don't think Renderosity still had the tutorial there, but MarkDC still has a store there ==> Markdc's Store on Renderosity

Hope it helps.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've had his AutoGroup Editor in my wishlist for years. One of these days. ~shakes head~

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I used to use that AutoGroup like 10+ years ago, but now Poser can get a more or less same kind of results, so it's not so useful anymore. I can do small retouches in Poser with Grouping Tool if needed. I think it does a pretty good job.

Seebee

It's not something that should be entered into lightly.
The initial curve is brutal, make no mistake.
I did teach Max and have lots of my beginner tutes available.

Poser it is NOT. Definitely not!!!
Max is not drag, drop and hope like mad, the way Poser is being used.

It requires dedication and hard work but the results are magnificent.
Most folk will get Max one way or another :) but 99.9 % will drop out after a very brief stay.
Thinking it's going to be like Poser would be of great detriment to learning and using Max.
You must learn 3D as it should be learnt. That's simple to say but be extremely hard if Poser is your sweetheart !
So there. Forget everything you've learnt with Poser
Enter at your own (financial) risk.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I used to use that AutoGroup like 10+ years ago, but now Poser can get a more or less same kind of results, so it's not so useful anymore. I can do small retouches in Poser with Grouping Tool if needed. I think it does a pretty good job.
That's good to know Ken. I dropped it into my wishlist back when I wasn't sure if I would EVER get around to rigging and grouping, and everything else required for creating conforming clothing, so when I finally created my first piece of clothing in Silo last year, I thought about getting it, but Poser is so much more advanced than it was back then, which is why I never actually bought it. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think people should try the Poser tools before buying 3rd party stuff, so they can have a base to judge if they really need them. If you are wondering if you should buy AutoGroup, try the auto-group from Poser first, and then Grouping Tool. Since 3DSMAX doesn't understand Poser/DS grouping, I have to do my grouping in Poser, and the tools have evolved a lot. For example, there is selection symmetry now, which used to be big deal with AutoGroup 10 years ago, but not anymore. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I agree. I think I dropped that in my wishlist when I was still using Poser 5. I then took a long hiatus and was only working in DS 2 and then DS 3, so I just forgot about it. I had bought Poser 7 when it was on sale real cheap, but my old laptop died, so I never installed it, and forgot about it. I'm only back into Poser since getting Poser 9, also inexpensively, shortly after Dawn came out, so yes, Poser has grown up a lot over the years.