• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Adventures in Mudbox/Blender

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I'm still around. This is what I've been doing lately. Zbrush's interface drives me bonkers, but I seem to be getting on really well with Mudbox. Been watching videos like crazy on the app and learning to sculpt. It took me a while to get out of the habit of trying to sculpt as if I was pencil drawing. I also found some helpful settings to turn Mud's Wax tool into something akin to Zbrush's Clay tool, and it's become one of my faves.

Today was noses, which turned out much better than my initial attempts a few days ago.

Nose001.png

Nose002.png

Nose003.png

Nose004.png

Nose004-2.png

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Thanks guys. It's helped a lot to use a straight cube instead of a base mesh of a head so I don't have to worry about full face proportions and can just focus on the singular part itself for now.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Cool. I thought Mudbox was mostly a texture painting app? It's still on my MUST HAVE FOR TOOLBOX bucket list!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've never had much success with sculpting, but texture painting is certainly something I'd try my hand at. :)

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
The one thing to be aware of with painting in Mudbox, is that it goes back to basics. It's not like these newer apps like Substance or Quixel that will paint on Diffuse, Specular, Bump, etc at the same time with a single stroke. In Mudbox each map type is painted separately, which imo allows for better control over what you want. It is a real time viewport though, so you can see your changes as you're making them.

It is also somewhat of a destructive workflow as there are no adjustment layers like Photoshop. If you change the hue of a layer, it's changed, no going back unless you made a copy of the original, upon which case if you make a dozen changes after changing the hue, you're stuck with that hue as the original copy won't have the subsequent changes.

It works as a perfectly capable sculpting app, but it does have a few downfalls in the painting department (all I need are adjustment layers, and maybe direct abr support, and I'm set).

Last edited:

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Back at it. Hoping to start doing some sort of daily sculpt thing. Created under the influence of Dr Pepper and my huge playlist of Rob Zombie on random. lol Click for bigger.

TheUnfortunate_scaled.png TheUnfortunate_head_scaled.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
SCREAM!!!!!

I almost didn't recognize you Vask, you changed your avatar. Did you make that in Mudbox?

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Haha sorry, I found out about this bird (Potoo) and I've been rather in love with it. :D
It is made in mudbox! The grey tones and black hollow look to the eye sockets and mouth were also painted in it as well using ptex as I didn't feel like doing any retopo/uv mapping.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
That is really cool. I love the shots of the nose you'd shared. Sculpting in 3d or real life is not one of my talents, and it really cool to see these images. Thanks for sharing.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Sculpting isn't one of mine either, tbh. I never thought I'd say this, but lately hard surface seems to be what's keeping me going.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Vask, I found that what got me started feeling more confident was to follow lots of tutorials where it gives like a recipe for doing stuff. Use this brush, at this setting. I'm still not an expert though...but lots of practice helps. I was working on the outfit in Zbrush the other day and I was making it without having to resort to tutorials to work how to do things which was a great feeling.