• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Solved 80's Mane Problems

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure where exactly to post this, but this seems like the right place, Working on some textures, but that isn't the point.

The problem is that even with the height adjust that has been mentioned before, I still get really 80's hair. And while it's less noticeable with some sets/colors, it's very noticeable (to me, anyway) with others, so I included examples, and a screen shot of my height adjust, in order to see if maybe someone can spot my issue. And while 80's hair is cool, it does have it's time and place! Or is it just a "don't turn Harry that way" kind of thing? Thank you! 80sMane.jpg 80sMane2-Close.jpg 80's Hair-SS.jpg

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay, with the Rainbow, Turned a little sideways, it's not so much a problem. So, I guess that that is where Mane and Tail brushes come it for front views.Rainbow Melt.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Have you tried using the Mane controls under the Horse Figure instead of the controls found under the Mane Figure?

I don't know if that's really going to make any difference, but it was intended that you'd use the Mane, Tail, Fetlock controls found under the Horse Actor rather than the controls Mane, Tail, Fetlock Figures controls.

upload_2016-6-30_8-16-24.png

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I do know that can happen when one applies more than one of the max length dials. (ie: 3_Mane_Center_ManeLength to 1.0 and then adding Mane Left_Mane Length Left to 1.0. Using both WILL cause that effect. Ideally Harry was made to use only one mane max length at a time. That said, I do often break that rule myself:)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I do know that can happen when one applies more than one of the max length dials. (ie: 3_Mane_Center_ManeLength to 1.0 and then adding Mane Left_Mane Length Left to 1.0. Using both WILL cause that effect. Ideally Harry was made to use only one mane max length at a time. That said, I do often break that rule myself:)

I do only use the Harry actor controls rather than the individual props, I saw that on CWRW's video. And even if I just do all left and then grow the mane, the right and middle get very high. So, should I just go to the individual left, and only grow it?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I do only use the Harry actor controls rather than the individual props, I saw that on CWRW's video. And even if I just do all left and then grow the mane, the right and middle get very high. So, should I just go to the individual left, and only grow it?

Not quite understanding what you mean by grow the mane but yes if the mane is hanging to the left and you just use the Mane Left Length to the max of 1 and then use the Adjustment setting it's not that high off the neck- no it is not totally flat on the crest of the neck but unless a horse has a pretty thin fine mane it will stand up from the neck some. My Morgan Flash's mane is so thick (but alas! not that long...) it stands up quite a bit from his neck.

If the mane is flying back/up then use the Mane Long under Center. If using the right mane down then use the Mane Right Length. Again if you are using say the Mane Down Left and the Mane Left Length set to max of 1 you can carefully apply the Mane Length under Center to make it a bit longer. But past about say .5 then it does really start to blow apart at the top. Is all personal preference really.
Also just a personal preference but I am almost always set the Mane Width to .5-1.0 as well.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Not quite understanding what you mean by grow the mane but yes if the mane is hanging to the left and you just use the Mane Left Length to the max of 1 and then use the Adjustment setting it's not that high off the neck- no it is not totally flat on the crest of the neck but unless a horse has a pretty thin fine mane it will stand up from the neck some. My Morgan Flash's mane is so thick (but alas! not that long...) it stands up quite a bit from his neck.

If the mane is flying back/up then use the Mane Long under Center. If using the right mane down then use the Mane Right Length. Again if you are using say the Mane Down Left and the Mane Left Length set to max of 1 you can carefully apply the Mane Length under Center to make it a bit longer. But past about say .5 then it does really start to blow apart at the top. Is all personal preference really.
Also just a personal preference but I am almost always set the Mane Width to .5-1.0 as well.

Okay! I've been lengthening ALL the different Mane sections, Left, Center and Right, as well as, unlocking the parameters and increasing the length from there! And it was blowing apart like the pictures above. So, I'll give it a try with just doing the one for the side it's on. Thanks for the answers.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Just wanted to drop in and say that I tried the only length the side that the mane is swept to, and it worked great! So, now I know what NOT to do. lol. Thanks for the help! Sometimes it's just one little thing.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I can edit the thread name if you would like me to, to indicate it's solved. It's a good idea to leave the thread up in case anyone else comes across the same problem :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Just wanted to drop in and say that I tried the only length the side that the mane is swept to, and it worked great! So, now I know what NOT to do. lol. Thanks for the help! Sometimes it's just one little thing.

Glad to be able to help! I will add again, you CAN play with making it even longer- def the trick is to use the Mane Length Right or Left first to max length, then carefully add the Center->Mane Length "to taste":) I do that a lot.:)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you all! and thank you Lorraine for fixing the title! If I want to show off/get advice on textures for Harry, Should I post in a particular thread, or make a new one?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thank you all! and thank you Lorraine for fixing the title! If I want to show off/get advice on textures for Harry, Should I post in a particular thread, or make a new one?

I would suggest starting your own thread for your Harry textures WIPs etc where you are here- 3D Content Development->Developing for Harry. It's a perfect spot. Looking forward to seeing what you make for Harry! I so need to get back on my Appy set for him! And finish his wings and....and.... :)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
There is also a fantasy thread for Harry that was started some time go if you would like to check it out or even post if you have things that are along those lines. Rae and Faery Light are great gals and have a few sets coming out for Harry!

Fantasy Textures and ideas for Harry

@CWRW ............WoooHooo APPY textures !!!!! ..............I MUST have!!!.........

Also glad you posted this LOL I learned something I will have to try in my next render!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm so doing a happy dance at the mention of Appy textures form CWRW!!!!! Woooo Hoooo! :applause:

My Kitty Ponies are still with QVA as I've just this morning added a new mane/tail option for the Leopard texture. Then I really need to go back to the BeJewelled textures, just been soooooo busy lately and I'm tired :sleep:

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
There is also a fantasy thread for Harry that was started some time go if you would like to check it out or even post if you have things that are along those lines. Rae and Faery Light are great gals and have a few sets coming out for Harry!

Fantasy Textures and ideas for Harry

I tried posting WIP's over there, but I don't think anyone has seen them. Or else, it's so bad that no one want's to comment! lol. Being that it's the Holiday weekend in America, I'll wait till Wednesday to see if it generates any comments, and if not, then try moving it to the regular Harry thread.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Dakorillon, don't get disheartened if no one comments straight away. If others are like me, I sometimes miss notifications and I don't usually go through the threads on a regular basis either so can sometimes miss seeing things for a long time.
Also I've been really busy trying to get my Kitty Ponies out and I know a lot of others have been pretty busy with their projects too.
You've got some nice textures there.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Didn't mean to sound whiney, I know it's a holiday weekend. But, I was worried that they would just get buried in the other thread, so that's why I was thinking of a separate thread. But, I'll be more patient! *giggle* I guess I get going on something, and then want instant feedback! lol. Don't we all wish? Have a good weekend, Rae!