• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Much To Learn You Still Have…my Old Padawan. … This Is Just The Beginning!

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Don't worry about them joining. The next time you are out and about have a look at various patterns on real clothes, you will be surprised at how many don't line up.

All the best.

Richard

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I know, and if it's a busy plaid it won't be quite as noticeable. Horizontal stripes would require a little work, because those would be more noticeable if they didn't match up, or at least look close to matching up.

My mom was a seamstress, and she always took pains to make sure seams would match when she was placing her pattern pieces. Unfortunately, unless it's custom made, most clothing manufacturers don't take the time to implement seam matching.

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My mom was a seamstress, and she always took pains to make sure seams wold match when she was placing her pattern pieces. Unfortunately, unless it's custom made, most clothing manufacturers don't take the time to implement seam matching.

This is exactly why I ended up dropping that lovely "bees" argyle from the texture pack for Luna's Beach Set... I will release it as a freebie, but I tried everything under the sun to match the argyle up, and unfortunately the seams refuse to play nice on either the jumper OR the hat, and the mis-matching pattern is painfully bad on one side of the jumper and the back of the hat. Enough so that I would normally not even release the texture at all (not even as a freebie) if it weren't for people really wanting that texture. :) I try like crazy to match up the cloth seams on my textures as much as I possibly can, but that argyle mis-match is just TOO horribly off for my standards.

And trying to match up stripes or plaids on many texture UVs is a headache in it's own class! LOL

Miss B

CV-BEE
I know what you mean. I've been playing with Argyle knits in Filter Forge, and having enough problems getting them to look right in FF is only half the fun, until you try to actually use it in Photoshop. :eek:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ugh, yeah. Tell me about it! LOL. I went through an awful lot of deleting and cloning even with the flowered and polka dots and cloud patterns (among others) on the jumper just to make sure they didn't cross over the mesh seams! :D

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
When at at say level 1 subdiv, put in your seam line for your UVing.

Now, each side of that UV seams, divide the polys in half, some call it cut, it does in Silo 2. This will give you a place to make the false seam.

Now raise up (Extrude) everything except those cut in half polys on either side

Don't raise too far and then do another subdiv, this will give you a folded seam effect. This way, you don't need to have everything lined up as they look as if they have been tucked into the seam.

Sneaky, sneaky!!!! Lol.

All the best.

Richard

Last edited:

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Here we go. Odd angle I know, but at least you can see the effect.

I made the skirt, then did a single subdiv and refined it.

Then I added the UV seam line, the blue line.

Next I did another subdiv and refined just to see if it was right, yes, that was okay.

Then I cut the polys on either side of the UV seams.

Then, I selected and extruded them just a little bit.

Next I went to line mode, selected the seam line and pushed it back towards the body.

Then I did another subdiv and refine to get the final effect.

I had to add the UV lie back in as when you subdivc and refine it kills the UV.

This was a very, very rough demo and I would never release something like this, but it does give the technique.

All the best.

Richard

Edge Test 001.jpg

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Richard. I will trying this out tonight or tomorrow on something I have in progress right now. :D It ought to work just about the same in Blender. I can't see any reason it wouldn't. Thanks again! ^_^

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
The fun thing I like to do is find something that looks or feels so complicated and then, you slap your head as you spot how simple it is to do and you have been trying to do it in the most complicated way, Lol.

That's how I did the above seam, all a seam is...... Two pieces of clothing coming together with a little gap where it has been sewn. Nothing more complicated than that.

I used to look at things being complicated and then I learned a nice technique called basics!! This is where you take something complicated and lok at it in a simple way to look ta its content.

Look at a basic house, wow..... complicated... Nope!!!

It's a rectangle, the windows are normally square, the door is another rectangle, the steps are rectangles, the roof is an elongated pyramid.

So, there you are, I have made something that looks complicated into very basic shapes. Once you start doing this with other things you suddenly see the world as just shapes. So, the next time you are out and about, try the basic technique and all of a sudden those shapes will just pop into your head.

Yes, it is a kind of Matrix moment when it first happens to you, but it is something that can be easily learned. Lol.

Then you just apply the same concept to 3D.

A skirt is a cube, nothing more, nothing less.

In a modelling program anyone can do this from scratch.

Load up your character model.

Create a cube, and scale it to the correct size and then place it to the right place on your character.

Delete the top and bottom of the cube and keep the sides.

Do a subdiv and refine it.

WOW!!!! You have the start of a skirt!!!!

That cube now looks like a cylinder, make the top smaller to fit the abdomen, make the bottom a little smaller to get the flow of a skirt and hey presto, 20 second skirt made!!!! LOL.

Once you find simple things like this, you should post how things are done to encourage others to do things.

Making content is NOT for so called mega gods of 3D, it's for everyone to have a go at.

Grab a free 3D modeller and have a go.

The only person that will stop you from doing anything is....... yourself. Not a Yoda quote, but Richard one.

The next thing is to take away the power of the word Test!!!!!

I bet I just scared a few people by using that word. Yes, you used to have those at school and you hated them!!! Come on be honest.

But.... If I now change that one word from Test to Challenge, you don't feel as bad.

The amount of students I used to tell this to when I was teaching and got the right effect was amazing.

Just before doing a test or an exam in word processing, data bases etc. I would tell them....

Most people hate tests, it reminds them of school and bad experiences, but if I say, it's just a challenge, well everyone is up for a challenge!!!

That one line used to take the stress out of people in seconds. I have had people so wound up by the thought of a test that they were going to not come for it. I gave them the above and they were ready to take the test there and then.

So.... When you start to make content, remember you are going to have a go at a challenge!!!! What will happen if you don't get it right the first time.....

Will the world stop.... no.

Will a big hole open up under you and you will drop into it.... no

Will a plague of zombies suddenly appear...... no, well I hope not!!! Lol.

It's all a learning process. You WILL make mistakes. Do you think those professional content makers don't make mistakes, sure they do, but they don't show you the mistakes that they make during their WIP's. Well I DO!!! Lol. If something goes wrong, at least I'm honest enough to show what happened and when I find a solution I post that as well. This way I show I'm just like everyone else wanting to make things.

The main thing is... get doing that first piece of content, that first little skirt, that first top etc. And most importantly, keep it in a special folder and look back at it in six months time. By then you should be making things way, way more professional and will look back at that first item and wonder why you were so worried to start making things in the first place.

Why do I write these little things? Because I want to encourage people to have a go. Notice the word encourage, I would never say force as this is the wrong way. I always encourage anyone starting out in content making and will always give feedback and ideas etc. There are probably some amazing content makers out there at the moment, but they just need that slight little nudge, and by reading my little thought, they may think, hell if he can do it, then so can I. Lol.

All the best.

Richard

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
No probs, the tricks I show should work on most modellers. It's just like leaning a new word processor. We know the options are there, it's just that they are on different menus and keys.

That's why I always say, if I do a tutorial and you can make it work in another modeller etc. then post how you did it.

I work in Poser, but if people can find a work around for Studio, then please, please post. None of my tutorials are precious works of art. All I normally say, is to put in at the beginning that this was inspired by a a tutorial by..... and insert a link back to the original one for people to know how it was originally done.

A long time ago, there was a masked magician that gave away the secrets, well I kind of see myself as something similar. If I find a way of doing something I will post it to make other peoples lives easier. When I first started out, there was very little in the way of getting secrets out of main stream content makers and I had to learn the hard way. What took me hours to figure out, I give to people in a nice easy way and they can do it in a fraction of the time I used to take.

Now, I have all my little utilities that I have gotten over the years to make my life easier, and again if I find a great util, I'll post links to them.

Learning is for EVERYONE, those that like to hoard secret ways of doing things will never get the feeling that comes over me when someone who always thought they could never make anything..... Suddenly post, I CAN DO IT!!!!!! I still get the same thrill from seeing that in a post today as I did when I first encouraged people to do things. There are quite a few people I know that now have things in various stores, including here at HW3D that used to say, I could never do that, well with that encouragement they found they could and now they are encouraging people to make things, and that's the way it should be.

I don't give myself fancy titles, I just like to be known as an enabler, as that's what I do, I enable people to do things for themselves. I'm nothing special, just a person on the other end of a keyboard, just like most people on here.

All the best.

Richard

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks for the demo Richard, and yes I'm pretty sure it can be done in Blender as well as Silo. The cutting of the seams is Loop Cut and Slide. You can do the "loop" either horizontally or vertically, and the "slide" is so you can decide just how you want to cut it. In this case it would be in half, but if you wanted to, in another situation, do it 1/3 on one side and 2/3 on another . . . hence the "slide". You just have to left-click and it sets in place.

That reminds me, I need to do that on something I was working on a couple of weeks ago, because the trim on the top layer is smaller because the polys on the top layer are smaller. So now I want to cut the bottom edge row of polys on the bottom layer and redo the mat zone, so they look the same when textured. Thanks for the remind.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Some nice tips there Richard. I do something similar. I choose the seam I want to be the uv seam and insert edges either side which is pretty much the same as what you did but I push the seam line back a little instead of raising the other polys forward.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I can see that working too Pen. Either way would make seam matching a lot easier.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I do it mainly to get the look of a seam on fabric. When you look at a seam made by machine there is a slight indentation which is what I'm looking for. I don't add more smoothing after but it could be done.

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Well it's been a while and the reason for it, I kind of lost my muse for a while, so I did other things until it came back.

So, what do you do when your muse goes for a walk? This can happen at any time for various reasons, my main reason was that my mu had a major knee replacement operation, so I had very little tie to do anything.

The problem with this is..... the longer you stay away from something, the more you are inclined to not go back.

Plus when I did start up again, I was having my usual UVing problems, I hate UV's, yep I'll keep saying it!!! LOL.

Then I decided to finally get back on the system and force myself to do something, anything!!!!!

This is a little trick I learned when I used to write and nothing would appear on the paper or on the screen. Just do something, that way you break the nothing on the page\screen problem. You can always remove it later.

I have loads of probs doing UVing in Silo 2, it never seams to work right, I get stretching etc. But.... if I do it in ZBrush it works, so now, I just move over to ZBrush to do that and it stops me pulling my hair out. So, just because something is good for modelling, does not mean it is good for other things. Find out what is best for various processes of content making and use them.

Now, as I mentioned right back at the very beginning of this whole thread, the only thing that is stopping me doing anything is.... me. So, by forcing myself to do a little something it has brought the muse back to me.

I decided to make a simple dynamic tshirt dress. Dynamic is so easy for me in Poser as I don't need to set up any grouping or rigging.

My usual workflow is, get a basic thing done, get a UV on it, do a quick test to see if it works and then start to have fun by adding in material zones. Material zones to me are the fun part of any item I am working on. I love mix and match options. The worse thing I can ever get is a item that has just a single texture map for the whole item!!!! I like areas I can play with, switch on and off etc.

As you can see It's a very simple item, it has a few nice areas to play with and it got me out of a bad place and back playing with my hobby!!!

All the best.

Richard

Dawn TShirt Dress 001.jpg

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Okay I can hear some people say, I don't want to make models, but I do want to texture things, so what can I do?

The first thing is.... do not just take tiles from the internet etc. You could be breaking copyright etc. If possible make sure you make everything for your tiles by yourself.

Yes, it can be hard, but there are loads of tile generators out there in cyber land, both free and paid for. The one I use a lot is Pattern Studio:-

I've used this for year, and it was worth the price i paid for it as it allows me to do seamless tile very easily. Plus I can make my own patterns but using the options within it. There is a trial option so you can try it for yourself.

My main rule for seamless tiles is, don't have tiles that are too low resolution, when you use them on items you will see they look horrible, always go with a decent resolution of at least 300 dpi, never use 72 dpi, yes you save space, but I would sooner have less tiles that were of a better quality than loads of bad ones.

Another program I use is Stitch Witch (Yes... before people ask, I will be getting back to it, but mum's knee op knocked that one out of the way for a while):-

Stitch Witch 1 | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

With this I can take my tiles and put them into material areas that I create myself within a template. A bit harder, but I can get better effects, such as putting badges on clothes, logos on the back of jackets, dirty them up so that they are grungy etc.

Now, if you are using texture based software, here is a BIG hint. Make sure that your outside area (sometimes called bleed) is a few pixels larger than your template, when I use Stitch Witch I have a default of 8 pixels. Why do this? Well it stops that white seam effect that can appear between material zones.

So, there you are, something for the texture makers to start off with.

All the best.

Richard

Miss B

CV-BEE
I like that simple T-Shirt dress Richard. Any chance you'll be offering that for download? ~hint, hint~ ;)

As for the 2 applications you mentioned above, I've had Stitch Witch for years, and do use it successfully on occasion, but I had never heard of Pattern Studio before, so thanks for that link. It looks similar to my Filter Forge, but I think I may download the free 30-day trial and see how I like it.

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
I will probably put the dress up in a couple of days. I'll add a few textures for it as well.

This will be just a dynamic item for Poser, sorry Studio users.

All the best.

Richard