• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Wow! That looks awesome Ken! Had my first play with the lizard last night but haven't got a render to post yet! I want to get the extra sets as I've only got the base but as soon as I get some cash I'll pick them up. Spent a bit too much recently on Webinars and also getting Terradome3 but as soon as I can I'll be buying them.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Looks great Ken. Love it when our cactus friends flower! Can't wait to see some texture previews!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist

One more modeling wip render... this time complete with a couple Four-winged Saltbushes... the complete model is weighing in at 213,321 polygons so like my Sagebrush Habitat (which is about 176,000 polygons) it be be a layered prop. Layers will include 1.Ground(Base), 2. Rocks, 3. Saguaros, 4. Saguaro Flowers, 5. Octotillo and 6. Saltbushes. I'll be including stand alone models of each item (and maybe a two armed Saguaro as well as taller versions) for those who really want to test the memory limit on their computers :devil"

Capture5.JPG

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
love the hole in the cacti

here's a few real real-life examples of what wildlife you could expect in a Saguaro

and a list of Songbird ReMix birds you've expect to see in my Saguaro set (Yes, this will be in the manual, too):

Nest inside Saguaros: Gila Woodpecker, American Kestrel, Purple Martin, European Starling, Western Screech-Owl, Burrowing Owl, Cactus Wren, Black-throated Sparrow, House Finch, escaped Peach-faced Lovebirds.

Use Saguaros for hunting perch/outside nesting: Red-tailed hawk, Harris Hawk, Common Raven, Long-eared Owl, Great Horned Owl.

Eat Saguaro Flowers/Pollen/Fruit:
Cactus Wren, Mourning Dove, Anna's Hummingbird, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Broad-billed Hummingbird, Calliope Hummingbird, Costa’s Hummingbird. Magnificent Hummingbird, Hooded Oriole.

All Birds Found in the Saguaro Habitat:
Turkey Vulture, American Kestrel, Red-tailed hawk, Harris Hawk, Harris Hawk, Gambel's Quail, Mourning Dove, Greater Roadrunner, Anna's Hummingbird, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Broad-billed Hummingbird, Calliope Hummingbird, Costa’s Hummingbird. Magnificent Hummingbird, Great Horned Owl, Burrowing Owl, Western Screech-Owl, Long-eared Owl, Gila Woodpecker, Vermillion Flycatcher, Purple Martin, Cactus Wren, Curve-billed Thrasher, European Starling, Phainopepla, Northern Cardinal, Pyrrhuloxia, Black-throated Sparrow, Hooded Oriole, House Finch.

Other creatures who found around Saguaros: Bats (flower nectar), Pack Pats, Jackrabbits, Mule deer (eat Saguaro flesh for water content)

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks, every one of those links goes to my Songbird ReMix Bird Encyclopedia which gives all the Field Guide notes. It also tells you what set the bird is in with a link to the product page at Hivewire3D. I find that helpful and use it, sometimes even I can't even remember what bird goes in what set. lol

Szark

Awesome
I always refer to the PDFs when doing serious images. :) They are a great help. But the great thing is Ken, which is why you do it, is that I learn and it gives me a platform to do Google searches to broaden the learning. Living in the Uk and NZ (in the past) I know about the lives and habitat of the wildlife. Elsewhere I know very little.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Part of my "secret" agenda with my sets and field guides is to get people more aware of nature. Perhaps in the quest for creating great renders, a few of my flock might be tempted to see the stuff "for real" or, dare I say, become "birders". Too many people (at least in our area), especially the younger people are terrified of nature. We host several tours a year in our native garden (which is home to several 100 different plant species, over 100 different types of bird and other wildlife). Terror turns to wonder has people see quail for the first time or a hummingbird buzz them. I guess too many of them spend too much time being glued to the TV, computer or within the walls of their houses. I was fortunate having a father who was a high school biology teacher (constantly doing field trips), living near a National Forest and my early exposure to nature through the Scouting program. My local boy scout troop were avid hikers.

In any case, it looks like my evil plot of creating more people who have interest in nature is working a little ;)

Speaking of terrified of nature, here's Noggin's jackrabbit seeing if the coast is clear in the sagebrush habitat. Yes, that's a Red-tailed Hawk soaring above. When they locate a meal and dive, they can travel at almost 100mph (161 kmph)

Sagebrush.jpg

Last edited:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
WOW.. your so fortunate to have grown up with a father like yours. Exposing you to so many wonders of nature. I grew up mostly in Florida so I was exposed to allot there but as an older dude living in California and with Google and Facebook building so much here it's harder and harder to see nature. I don't drive so getting away is not easy, plus I work all the time to keep my life in balance, in it's way.....

Szark

Awesome
Ken I can't say it has increased my passion for the environment on the whole as I am pretty vocal on the subject but I do appreciate the time you take with the educative aspect.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
to be a kid that grew up in bushland and then to see that bushland turn into suburbia to me was depressing.. the main reason we sold up and moved .. love your work & educational writings Ken....

now.... that wombat needs a friend.... a bandicoot :) ;)

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Adventurous
Thanks for the list Ken, that will be so helpful in using the right bird/animal after all, Stezza's Bandicoot would not be found here :whistling:

The google link is so interesting, great pics.