• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire 'Depth of Field' Render Challenge: CLOSED

3dcheapskate

Engaged
(You'll have to excuse me, I think I was getting a bit carried away with all the new stuff I just discovered about DoF! )
I now have a proper idea for this challenge, "Giant!" - here's a first rough render...
Giant!.jpg

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
These are all so fun!

I am not submitting this for the challenge but wanted to show another interesting 2D technique that can be used by itself or in conjunction with other DoF techniques in Photoshop etc.
So I rendered the background in Poser without DoF. In Photoshop I copied and pasted that render in, duplicated the layer and used Lens Blur on the duped layer. I then erased the left side in a gradual manner and set that layer to about 60%. Anyway just something fun to play with:)

alexander_and_bucephalus_by_cwrw-d8cg3qj.jpg

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
These are all so fun!

I am not submitting this for the challenge but wanted to show another interesting 2D technique that can be used by itself or in conjunction with other DoF techniques in Photoshop etc.
So I rendered the background in Poser without DoF. In Photoshop I copied and pasted that render in, duplicated the layer and used Lens Blur on the duped layer. I then erased the left side in a gradual manner and set that layer to about 60%. Anyway just something fun to play with:)

Very nicely done!

I don't use GIMP or PhotoShop, I use PD Howler, and I would use a very similar technique to do this. It's great to see different artistic ways to achieve the same goal! And each has it's pros and cons in an artist's toolbox.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I've bookmarked your hint, Laurie, and what a goodie it is. As is the render too ;)

3dcheapskate

Engaged
These are all so fun!

View attachment 12729

There's a beautiful, dreamy, almost mystical quality to the DoF in that picture... :)

Zaarin

Brilliant
"Pickpockets" -- inspired by the card by the same name from the video board game Armello.

Pickpockets_postwork.jpg
Right-click and select "open in new tab" for full version. The kid morphs are from my Faces of Youth for K4 pack which just released, and the woman's face is from Melange: Pour Femme for V4. And Luna's face is one I just really quickly spun. :) And M4's face isn't visible, so I left it default. :p

Zaarin

Brilliant
Oh that's a great bit of DoF there Zaarin. Very nice indeed. ;)
Thank you! I was going to do the DoF in-render, but turns out Superfly renders grind to a screeching halt with DoF--it was actually faster for me to render the image in Superfly, then render it again in Firefly with "create z map" enabled than to try to render DoF in Superfly. :coffee: (On a side note, the render was actually mostly black in Firefly since I used mostly Superfly shaders. :p )

Since DoF is usually used to bring focus to the foreground, I thought it would be interesting to use it to make the midground the center of focus by blurring the foreground and background.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I happen to like when there's a little blur very close the the foreground. Not necessarily as much as the far background, but it works depending on what's in the scene, and on what/whom you want the focus.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
"Pickpockets" -- inspired by the card by the same name from the video board game Armello.

Love it. And I love Armello too. Haven't found the time to play the new expansion yet. How I wish I could make renders of the Wolf Clan.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Love it. And I love Armello too. Haven't found the time to play the new expansion yet. How I wish I could make renders of the Wolf Clan.
Last Steam sale I told myself I would focus on cheap games, but I was just totally captivated by Armello's art style and had to have it. No regrets. :D At least I didn't pay as much for Armello as I did for Firewatch... :rolleyes:

Zaarin

Brilliant
I love the colors, makes me think of the opening line of Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn: "There lived a unicorn in a violet wood." :) (I love his unexpected use of language in that book...)