• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Before the early nineteenth century, there was no standardized uniform for enlisted men in the US Navy.

Benjamin Williams Crowninshield, Secretary of the Navy, issued the first regulations for the enlisted men's uniform in September 1817, which described the summer (white duck jacket, trousers, and vest) and winter uniform (blue jacket and trousers, red vest, yellow buttons, and black hat).

The regulations also specified men were to be barefooted and have their pants rolled up while washing the decks. This required pant legs to be loose enough to allow the men to pull or roll the bottoms up over their knees.

Thus ... flared/bell bottom pant legs.

Naval History and Heritage Command - Pants/Bell-Bottoms

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember These???!
I was never very skilled with these. The most I could do was a basic up and down motion. I did try to "walk the dog" once but it went down and never came back up.
1627441008675.png

eclark1894

Visionary
When I was a kid, we used to play with these. We even used real pie tins. But when I got to college, the kids were freaking me out with some of the stunts they were doing!
1627441249745.png

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Well, I admit that I knew the Navy wore flared pants, I didn't know there was a functional reason for it.
One function was that they can be rolled up easily while washing the deck , and second they could be pulled over the boots to create kind of airbags that helped floating when someone fail over the board , because of the 60s very casual clothing mode, many young people were looking for something to stand out from the rest , so they shopped in a second hand stores for old military clothing , and that is how bell bottom pants entered the new fashion trends around the world .

Terre

Renowned
Fried pickles is State Fair food to me. I like pickles, but I was never crazy about them. You'd think I would like them more considering Mount Olive Pickle factory isn't that far from Raleigh, where I live. In fact, we used to pass within a few miles of it when I was a kid and we were on our way to the beach.

Salty watermelons was just crazy. And I like my neice! :D
Salty watermelons is what I grew up with. LOL

Terre

Renowned
One function was that they can be rolled up easily while washing the deck , and second they could be pulled over the boots to create kind of airbags that helped floating when someone fail over the board , because of the 60s very casual clothing mode, many young people were looking for something to stand out from the rest , so they shopped in a second hand stores for old military clothing , and that is how bell bottom pants entered the new fashion trends around the world .
Interesting. I have never like them because wrapping around my ankles made it more likely I would trip.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yup. Haven't seen them in glass bottles for a while though.

You forgot Bubble Up.

Actually there is (or was) a specialty market up in Eagle Rock called Galco's. Also known as The Soda Pop Stop. Had all kinds of vintage sodas. Don't know whether they are still in business, but I am pretty sure there are still weblink.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yup. Haven't seen them in glass bottles for a while though.

You forgot Bubble Up.

Actually there is (or was) a specialty market up in Eagle Rock called Galco's. Also known as The Soda Pop Stop. Had all kinds of vintage sodas. Don't know whether they are still in business, but I am pretty sure there are still weblink.
Never heard of Bubble Up, but I didn't even try to name all the sodas. My town, Raleigh, NC used to have at least three soda plants when I was growing up. Coca Cola, Pepsi, and Sprite. In fact the Sprite plant was up the street from my aunt's cafe. The street is still there, but the plant and my aunt's cafe are gone.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
A few of them may well have been something less than nationally distributed. I do remember seeing commercials for Bubble Up on television, but that doesn't mean it was nationally known. It was another generic lemon-lime soda. There's a Coca Cola bottling plant here in L.A. as well. Or what used to be one. Don't know whether it still belongs to the company or not. it was a fine example of 1940's streamline Moderne, so it was probably not up to current codes and may have been sold and repurposed since then.

There are a few places (like Galco's) which do still sell sodas in glass, but you have to hunt for them.

When I was in Britain in '84 I developed a liking for a British soda called Quatro. That one never hopped the pond, and we don't have anything quite like it here that I know about. Of course I never found a diet version, either, so even if it was available I'd not have been buying it.

eclark1894

Visionary
Found a picture of Bubble Up. Google says it'd made by the same company that makes Dad's Root Beer. A Link to Amazon.com came up also that said you could order some from them.BTW, I misremembered before. It wasn't a Sprite bottling plant but a 7-Up bottling plant.
1627605941118.png

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, that's it all right. I remember it hitting the market in the late '50s or early '60s and after abut a decade it quietly disappeared. Didn't see it again until I ran across it in Galco's around d the turn of the century.

I truly don't remember it having anything particularly distinctive about it.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these?
I saw this in a video on YouTube. I literally had not seen one in so long I actually forgot what the name of it was called. I had to watch the video until someone said the name. :D
1627648203889.png

eclark1894

Visionary
I didn't find out until I was in my teens that the glasses were fake and an optical illusion. I never ordered one anyway. When i was a kid, I more important things to do with a dollar. Candy, sodas, snack cakes, swimming, and movies.
1627648793446.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these???!!!
Free tickets to the State Fair! They used to give free tickets like these every year in school when the NC State Fair came to town. And they would dismiss classes on a Friday so you could go!
1627649437102.png

When I got a little older, they used to do the same thing with movie tickets. I remember I got free movie tickets to go to the Lincoln Theater in downtown Raleigh. My brother and I saw Our Man Flint!

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these???! I remember when these were all the rage. I admit, I collected a fair amount of them before finally giving up.
1627650212556.png
1627650278220.png
1627650338504.png
1627650445589.png

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
I had a View-Master with a disk that showed dinosaurs fighting & volcanos going off. It really made things look 3D. It was quite impressive!

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I had a View-Master with a disk that showed dinosaurs fighting & volcanos going off. It really made things look 3D. It was quite impressive!
My first was with Red riding hood story in 3D , I love it .