• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Which virus would that be?

Never said it would.

I certainly hope the rant is not directed at me.

If my GP/Consultants actually answered my questions and not just give some info that sounded like it came from a pharma script, then I would be a much happier chap.
Any cold virus at the time you get your flu shot can affect it. That's why they ask you not to do it if sick. The rant wasn't aimed specifically at you. Your post did prompt me to make it though as I was concerned that some of the information in your post wasn't accurate. I wasn't however saying you were deliberately spreading misinformation. Just concerned that information in it wasn't accurate.
Our local GP told the missus that she is probably a flu virus carrier as when she gets the flu shot it brings it out in her .. so she doesn't have it anymore.

I've never had a flu shot, so dunno.

Had the two astra jabs with no reactions to either of them, not even a sore arm. o_O :D
Sorry Stezza but they are some awlful gp's around who don't know what they're talking about sometimes. I would place my faith in virologists or other expert above local gps. Glad to hear you've had your jabs. I'm still waiting on my second. In all the time I've worked at CSL(10 years) I never heard of flu virus carriers having any impact on the vaccine. As I'm not an expert I did some googling
I'd also add did the doctor do any tests to verify that it was the flu shot that was impacting or did he just say it?

Found this
Misconceptions about Flu Vaccines
Does Influenza Transmission Occur from Asymptomatic Infection or Prior to Symptom Onset?
Key Facts About Influenza (Flu) | CDC

@Hornet3d , my husband like Stezza had no reaction. I did have a reaction to it just like your wife but it was within the expected parameters for common side effects so not an issue apart from being uncomfortable. If it stops me from getting covid as severely or reducing transmission I see that as a fair trade off.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I had my second shot this morning, and as expected, the injection site is swollen and painful. This time, I had them inject my right arm instead of my left arm (as I'm left handed).

While I really hate hurting, I would expect this means my body is attempting to defend itself against COVID 19. If I had no reactions to either shot, I'd probably ask my doctor to order tests to determine whether I was actually producing antibodies.

This has not been a good month for me. I have a cracked tooth (the one that had the root canal several years ago) and for more about three weeks, I have been in various degrees of pain. I actually bought a new bottle of Advil (the expiration date of everything I had was ten or more years ago ... that's how often I take pain meds). Of course, the Advil made no difference whatsoever! My tooth/jaw primarily only started throbbing when I went to bed. Once I sat up, it would stop throbbing after a few minutes. Made it a bit hard to sleep.

That was followed by about a week when I had to be extremely careful when eating because if any food got between that tooth and the upper tooth, it was excruciating.

With only a week to go before they extract the tooth, it no longer hurts! Seriously?

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d , my husband like Stezza had no reaction. I did have a reaction to it just like your wife but it was within the expected parameters for common side effects so not an issue apart from being uncomfortable. If it stops me from getting covid as severely or reducing transmission I see that as a fair trade off.

Like you I would happily accept a few side effects if it means I have less chance of catching the virus or reducing symptoms if I do, it was just a little scary to wake up in the early hours to find my wife shivering uncontrollably. Thankfully with a cup of tea and a bit of TLC she was fine again within the hour.

Hornet3d

Wise
I had my second shot this morning, and as expected, the injection site is swollen and painful. This time, I had them inject my right arm instead of my left arm (as I'm left handed).

While I really hate hurting, I would expect this means my body is attempting to defend itself against COVID 19. If I had no reactions to either shot, I'd probably ask my doctor to order tests to determine whether I was actually producing antibodies.

This has not been a good month for me. I have a cracked tooth (the one that had the root canal several years ago) and for more about three weeks, I have been in various degrees of pain. I actually bought a new bottle of Advil (the expiration date of everything I had was ten or more years ago ... that's how often I take pain meds). Of course, the Advil made no difference whatsoever! My tooth/jaw primarily only started throbbing when I went to bed. Once I sat up, it would stop throbbing after a few minutes. Made it a bit hard to sleep.

That was followed by about a week when I had to be extremely careful when eating because if any food got between that tooth and the upper tooth, it was excruciating.

With only a week to go before they extract the tooth, it no longer hurts! Seriously?

I can relate to all of that as I also cracked a tooth about a month ago and had a similar experience in that the pain would come and go. Worried me because I cracked a tooth some years ago while travelling and I have never experienced pain like it, I remember pacing my hotel room sipping cold water which was the only thing that would reduce the pain. As soon as the water warmed up the pain would come raging back. I had to put bottles of water in the mini fridge to keep a supply of cold water until I could get an emergency appointment at a dentist. His view was that the tooth cracked while I was flying due to the changes on air pressure. Not sure how true it was but I still remember the relief as the injection began to take affect and the pain subsided, it was a pain I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE

My understanding from what I have read is this: If you DO have some reaction, it IS an indication that your body is working to defend itself (I had no reaction to the first shot, but after the second, I had a fever for a few days, pain at the site for a few days, and almost a week of red/swelling...which I'll take any day and twice on Sunday as opposed to dying from or even just fighting Covid at all, thank you very much).

HOWEVER, if you do NOT have a reaction, it does NOT mean there is any problem whatsoever or that you are not protected. I know many people who had both shots with NO issues, barely a sore arm.

We all react differently. I have had annual flu shots most of my adult life, because I have asthma. Sometimes I barely notice I got the shots, other times, I've had reactions ranging from that to a sore arm, to a slight fever, to feeling crummy for a few days. Again, I'll take that over getting the flu, as with all the other vaccines I've had over the years. I'd much rather suffer a few days of discomfort than possibly end up in the hospital or worse...

unreal

Noteworthy
I always remember Carl Sagan's (of Cosmos Fame) quote was along the lines of 'Man has the distinction of being the only species on this planet to have devised his the method of his own mass destruction',

Profound as that is I think the one of the most appropriate quotes is

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
Cosmos is one of those shows I really like to watch. but it's a bit sad. It was a show that my day and I used to watch together, when I was a kid.
Project end, the diamond painting is now framed and hung just as most people think I should be :).

View attachment 70429
Very cool. What is a diamond painting. It looks pixular o_O. I thought cross stitch or something.

Hornet3d

Wise
Cosmos is one of those shows I really like to watch. but it's a bit sad. It was a show that my day and I used to watch together, when I was a kid.

Very cool. What is a diamond painting. It looks pixular o_O. I thought cross stitch or something.

Diamond painting is a bit like painting by numbers, you have a canvas with the picture on it which has a film of glue over the top. The picture is made up from a loads of small points of colour (your pixular description is accurate) and the colour is provided by placing small multifaceted plastic disks or squares, called drills, to the corresponding colour using a small pen type device with wax in the end.

The picture only really works from a distance, and the bigger the better, because of this build up but the multifaceted nature of the drills makes the picture sparkle under any sort of light. This sparkle appears to ripple across the painting as the viewer moves around. The really big plus is they are dirt cheap starting at less than ten pounds/dollars and that includes all you need to complete. I paid just over £20 for this one due to the size but a 12 X 8 inch could be as cheap as the £5. The only real downside is the quality is variable, in some cases the picture advertised does not match the one provided or the colours are way off, something you only find out when you start doing the painting.

Steve.M

Enthusiast
The rant wasn't aimed specifically at you. Your post did prompt me to make it though as I was concerned that some of the information in your post wasn't accurate. I wasn't however saying you were deliberately spreading misinformation. Just concerned that information in it wasn't accurate.
Which information gives you concern?
You only quoted the "flu jab" section of my post, so it was either my getting ill after the flu jab, or the year after when the flu jab used was for the incorrect flu type.
I cannot prove I was ill after the flu jab. Should I need to.

As for the incorrect flu jab being used, after a quick search I found multiple news reports, one of which:- The flu jab DOESN'T work, officials admit

I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just confused by your replies.
Actually, I am starting to feel rather uncomfortable being on the forum. I will take a break.

Hornet3d

Wise
You only quoted the "flu jab" section of my post, so it was either my getting ill after the flu jab, or the year after when the flu jab used was for the incorrect flu type.

As for the incorrect flu jab being used, after a quick search I found multiple news reports, one of which:- The flu jab DOESN'T work, officials admit

Actually, I am starting to feel rather uncomfortable being on the forum. I will take a break.

Totally understand if you need to take a break but I must admit I am always dismayed if someone does not feel comfortable here, it tends to be one of the better forums, if not the best.

Problem with Covid there are many different views for many different reasons, for example, while mask wearing for some might seem political for others it is not a big issue. If you are caring for someone in the at risk group or are in the group personally your views on mask wearing might be a lot stronger. There are a lot of people here that would fall into the at risk group as they are quite ill, something that does not immediately come across in their posts. I think 3D art appeals to such people ( I am one of them) as it gives them a break from their health issues and it is something that most people can do.

By all mean take a break, that much better than happens on some forums and I respect you for it but it would be a real shame to lose you and your input or anyone else completely for that matter, not if it can be avoided.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist

As I specifically said before...I was not having a go at you. The concern was that people would take what you said out of context or not understand.

The article you linked to is talking about exactly what I said, that they may have targeted the wrong strain which would give less protection against the prevalent strain but it would still protect against the flu strains in the vaccine. The formulation of the vaccine is chosen by experts for what they consider to be the most prevalent strain.

I'm sorry if I confused you.

I'm also sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable that wasn't my intent.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Like you I would happily accept a few side effects if it means I have less chance of catching the virus or reducing symptoms if I do, it was just a little scary to wake up in the early hours to find my wife shivering uncontrollably. Thankfully with a cup of tea and a bit of TLC she was fine again within the hour.
I'm glad she was okay Hornet...I was a little bit scared about blood clots when I had it but I know that my reaction was emotional not logical because of the scaremongering in the media.

eclark1894

Visionary
Funny but true story as it just happened to me. I was in the bathroom and needed to replace the roll of tissue I keep in there. Now, I live alone, so the last time I bought any tissue has been awhile. In fact, we were discussing the shortage of tissue on the shelves at the supermarket a little over a year ago, when i bought a pack. I put the pack away and didn't think anything of it until today. As I said, I need to replace the roll of tissue that I keep in the bathroom. I opened the closet and pulled out the last pack of tissue that i have. I opened it and out of the bag fell two bars of Nestle's Crunch! I checked the date on the receipt in the bag. Bought at Family Dollar 3-23-2020! :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think the only thing I found in a shopping bag which I hadn't taken out when I got home from shopping, was the receipt for my purchases, though I don't think I've ever gone more than a week before I reused the shopping bag, and then found the receipt for my previous purchases.

Hornet3d

Wise
Not so sure about toilet rolls but there are certainly empty shelves once more in UK supermarkets, not panic buying as far as I can see but mainly because the NHS app in the UK has put 700,000+ in isolation. Shortage of retail staff, lorry drivers and food processing workers appears to be to blame this time. Of course what is on the shelf is much more expensive than a few weeks to go. Gas an electric bills are set to rise by 10%, not Covid related but I can see why the doctors and nurses who put their life on the line are unhappy with a 3% pay rise.

Just been out with the in laws for a breakfast as it is our 41st wedding anniversary, we went early to miss the crowds but the cafe is on short hours due to staff shortages and was not open. Went to a cafe in a garden center instead, which was open with social distancing and taken orders at the table so it worked out. Stopped off at a local food hall to get something tasty for dinner, long queues and customer toilets shut which could be an issue for people of my age. All of this is after the much publicised freedom day.

News that there is to be 32 million boaster jabs for the over 50s and those at risk, no problem with that accept many are saying that we have beaten Covid, not so sure we have from where I am viewing the problem.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Please keep political comments OUT of this thread. I have just deleted a few posts. I am not going to notify people about this specifically. If you see a post you feel is political, please report it and DO NOT ARGUE.

Thank you :)