• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Silo 2021

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Nevercenter has released a new version of Silo. Look for an email with a discount code if you have a previous licensed version of Silo 2. Without the code, Silo 2021 + Milo is $149.00, with the discount code, it is $119.00.

Milo is a real-time renderer and VR viewer, Nevercenter has a 30 minute Milo 2021 Basic How-To video on YouTube.

Silo 2021 now includes a beta GoZBrush.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have Silo 2, but don't know if I can afford this upgrade right now. Car is in the shop for some big repairs at the moment. :(

Dana

I am in the same boat, not the car being in the shop but not able to afford the upgrade at present. When funds are better I will still need to see what has changed to be able to justify the purchase.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I am very much interested in these products. Silo and Milo look awesome but beware. If you are a PayPal person like myself your discount upgrade code will be dropped upon going to the checkout page. They just wrote me and told me it's how the system is written. I wrote them back and told them that I've never had this issue with any other discount code and checking out with PayPal so perhaps they should touch base with PayPal and hope that together this will get resolved. I just feel safer using PayPal and not have my cc number out there. It's like having double security to protect you and your CC info! Hopefully it gets resolved. I'm no hurry!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'll try to post here when they get back in touch about my suggestion on contacting and resolving this issue with PayPal!

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I wrote to Nevercenter to ask what the license terms are (Silo 2.5.6 allows installation on three machines), and if the new version will run on Win7. I'll post when I get an answer.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Unwrapping UVs is vastly improved. Instead of having to mark the UV seams and unwrap the UV after creating a shape, it's already done. Definitely makes it much easier.

Cylinder and UV

1618748758807.png

Sphere and UV

1618748894084.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
That was a point of failure for me. I couldn't get it to UV map the hinges on the tutorial that I was following from Fugazi1968, The Chest. It was coming out as a strange spiral with a huge disc. it wasn't even close to what he had in his videos. I otherwise liked his tutorials. But every now and then, things just didn't work like they did in his videos, and it frustrated me. I wish I had the money to get this new version.

Dana

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Nevercenter's support told me that a Silo license allows for installation on three machines. It was not tested in Win7, but it seems to run OK.

locked items are greyed out.PNG
displacement+normal maps in materials.PNG

Milo will not run on Win7 (missing a dll) and on my particular PC it warns that the GPU isn't satisfactory (Cameron has an nVidia FX5800 Quadro)
Milo launch fail on Win7 Ult 64bit.PNG
Milo GPU requirement notice.PNG

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Dose any one know if they have added the dreaded "must be on a machine permanently connected to the internet to run" bs?
That tends to be a deal breaker for me

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not sure about that Dreamer. Satira might know, as she uses Silo exclusively. I only use it occasionally, so probably won't be upgrading to the new version, though it certainly looks very good.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Me, too. I actually didn't know that was an issue.

I am wondering about that GPU issue Seach mentioned. I have only a GeForce 9500 GT.

Dana
I dont have my 3D computer hooked to the net ever, so if a program needs a net connection to work its no good to me. I know the old version of Silo didn't so hoping this one doesn't either but so meany are either adding that or switching to subscriptions

seachnasaigh

Energetic
If you want the full capabilities in Milo, you'd want to get an RTX video card, as in nVidia RTX 3070 , RTX 3080, RTX 3090. Because of crypto miners, these cards are rarely in stock. And for those GPUs to run at full capability, the motherboard should have PCIe 4.0 x 16 slots. There are RTX 20xx cards.

As for the minimal GPU citation, (I've added translation in blue),
Milo GPU requirement notice annotated.PNG

I'm fairly sure that an nVidia GTX 1080Ti and (1050-1070) will do that. They call for a PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot. My old motherboards have PCIe 2.0 x 16. I've been told that a 1080 can be used in a PCIe 2.9 x 16 slot; it just won't run at its full capability. I may try retro-fitting my old workstations with GTX1080Ti.

I'll need to find out more, because I plan to build a new workstation which can do GPU rendering, provided society hasn't descended into civil war / new world order tyranny by then. :roflmao:

@DanaTA GeForce 9500 GT is DirectX 10, shader model 4.0

DanaTA

Distinguished
Oh, so I wouldn't be able to run Milo. Maybe some day. Money isn't amenable to this upgrade right now. :(

Dana