• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LAMH Presets for the Hivewire3D House Cat

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey Pen

Yes I am boring/just use my default shared Runtime folder for pretty much everything:) And then the standard path for LAMH etc. I've never done any custom set ups for my 3d world. So yeah I am useless on helping there:)

DanaTA

Distinguished
Hey Pen

Yes I am boring/just use my default shared Runtime folder for pretty much everything:) And then the standard path for LAMH etc. I've never done any custom set ups for my 3d world. So yeah I am useless on helping there:)

I commend you on that. My opinion is that a vendor should use a standardized folder structure. If someone wants to modify that for their own use, that's great. But many don't and would be confused if things weren't where they expected them to be...especially beginners.

Dana

Agent-0013

Inspired
Thanks Alisa. I like a forum where asking questions is encouraged; especially when the result of such questioning gets so many great and helpful responses.

Well I got the HiveWire House Cat installed and per the instructions in the readme for your LAMH product pack, I did a test render. I was hoping my computer would be able to handle the LAMH presets at the hair count recommended, and it did better than I hoped. I thought the render (3DL) would likely take over an hour at best, but in actuality this 1024 x 1024 render took less than 5 minutes! Needless to say, I'm one happy camper. The hair looks really good, and the Grey Tabby material I used shows really well. This render is only the cat with the LAMH preset, one distant light with shadows enabled and edited to my own specs, and a Background I made in Flame Painter. Here is the result:

Attachments

• HW Housecat with LAMH Preset Test.jpg
    HW Housecat with LAMH Preset Test.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 224

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Sweet!! You'll definitely find folks here friendly & helpful :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Nicely done Agent, and if I haven't yet welcomed you to the HiveWire forums, I do so now. Oh, and Alisa's right, we have a good group of folks here who are always ready to step in and help. :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I commend you on that. My opinion is that a vendor should use a standardized folder structure. If someone wants to modify that for their own use, that's great. But many don't and would be confused if things weren't where they expected them to be...especially beginners.

Dana
Thanks Dana! LOL I HAVE been a vendor for most of my now 16 years in the 3d world! I started selling in 2008... so yeah once I started using DS especially/had to make a shared runtime for both programs, it made sense to just follow the standard. And yes it does make it easier to make and test products that way, at least for me.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Welcome to the helpful and friendly Hive forums, Agent! Yes questions are ALWAYS welcome here. And glad you got the LAMH to work! Great job!

Agent-0013

Inspired
Thanks for all the 'welcome' comments. You guys are making me feel right at home. That is most appreciated! I plan to be helpful too when I am able to provide some of my own knowledge and methods.

Using the LAMH Player turned out to be much easier than I would have thought. Makes me want to get the version that allows me to make hair presets of my own.

Cheers!

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Thanks for all the 'welcome' comments. You guys are making me feel right at home. That is most appreciated! I plan to be helpful too when I am able to provide some of my own knowledge and methods.

Using the LAMH Player turned out to be much easier than I would have thought. Makes me want to get the version that allows me to make hair presets of my own.

Cheers!

Have you tried the Strand based hair in DS its very similar to LAMH but comes with DS.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist

Cheers!

It's 60% off today- last day of Daz March Madness. It is a lot of fun to work with but can be a little daunting to start. I always just do a lot of saves as I work on something.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Have you tried the Strand based hair in DS its very similar to LAMH but comes with DS.

Hey tparo- so I messed with the SBH a bunch last summer but I can never get it to not look like mud- have tried every lighting situation I know from default SunSky to various HDRIs and just basic lighting. Works fine if I just apply "colors" etc but once I try to use underlying textures it just looks like mud no matter how much I mess with the shader settings. I can sort of do ok on really short sparse coats like in the images in this post:
CWRW Product Previews

... Any ideas?

L'Adair

Enthusiast
I have the full version of LAMH. I've never been able to create a dang thing with it. I now use it to convert presets to fiber mesh, once I've finalized a pose.

I bought Garibaldi, but didn't get around to using it. SBH is based on Garibaldi, and for some reason, I can create halfway decently with the SBH editor. I thought learning to the use the SBH editor would help with the LAMH full version. It did not.

I will say, Agent, that if all you end up using the full version of LAMH for is converting presets to fiber mesh, it's worth the cost if you use Iray for rendering. Fiber mesh is high-poly, but it's still easier on the computer resources than OBJ. And you can also modify presets. I made the free long hair preset for the HW cat even longer for one of my renders, ages ago.

Agent-0013

Inspired
My computer cannot handle the Iray render engine, so I'm sticking to 3DL.

SBH is a pita to work with, from what I have been reading about it. Most of the people I've been in contact with who have tried it gave it a low rating. I was even told that if I did not have a powerful enough computer, it would not be worth my time. So LAMH it is.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
My computer cannot handle the Iray render engine, so I'm sticking to 3DL.

SBH is a pita to work with, from what I have been reading about it. Most of the people I've been in contact with who have tried it gave it a low rating. I was even told that if I did not have a powerful enough computer, it would not be worth my time. So LAMH it is.

If your computer can handle LAMH then it can handle SBH.
If you feel SBH is a pita then I'll be surprised you find LAMH any better its way less stable and a real pain to get installed sometimes.

Agent-0013

Inspired
The requirements for SBH is no less than 8MB RAM. I have 4. Will have to check to know the requirements for LAMH. Might turn out to be too much for my computer also. Now I know there are a lot more tools included in the full version of LAMH, but I would expect that.

I think it all depends on the personal preference of each user; for instance, what each of us is willing to put up with, and how dedicated to digging deep we are.

Back in the 1980s I had the MTV Music Generator for the PlayStation. Most of what I was hearing from others that had it only scratched the surface of what it could do. I dug deep into it, all the way down to the waveforms of each instrument sound. I could do things nobody else was doing with that program, including making a bass guitar scream sound (very unique, and sounded excellent for the songs I used it in.

To me, being able to do things no one else is doing is the mark of a great artist. Not saying I am as great as others here, but I can hold my own in a competition environment. I love competing, because it makes me strive to get better; and that is another mark of a great artist. Another mark is being willing to learn from your peers, (other artist in the same field); and yet another is imparting what you know in a helpful way to others wishing to learn from you. This is why I like joining forums of this type, the willingness to share knowledge and technique. This also helps the quality of our works in a way that we who view them can enjoy. I call that a Win Win situation.