• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Question about Jewelry

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
great start on the earrings.....however check the ANGLE that the wire is in back. The long bit will be going DOWN and not straight out.

As for coloring -- metal wire would be silver or gold colored. The decoration.....sky's the limit. Colors, patterns, plastic, metal, stones, whatever.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Good catch on the wire Rowan, as it should be angled down a bit further than it is now. You don't want them falling out of the ear.

I also agree with your suggestions on the wire coloring, and yes, the decoration can be almost anything you want.

eclark1894

Visionary
great start on the earrings.....however check the ANGLE that the wire is in back. The long bit will be going DOWN and not straight out.

As for coloring -- metal wire would be silver or gold colored. The decoration.....sky's the limit. Colors, patterns, plastic, metal, stones, whatever.
Yeah, I'm glad you caught the Angle thing too. As I don't wear earrings, I'd probably go ahead and leave that alone. I was using a reference pic though, so they must have had the angle of the shot reversed or something.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Do girls even wear pearls anymore?
I don't know about "girls", but women still do, so I guess it's a matter of what audience you want to reach.

Pearl stud earrings would always go over, as would any other gem in that style pierced earring, I just don't know if younger gals would necessarily wear pearl necklaces.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Younger gals can't afford pearl necklaces (unless they're from a rich family). Though I had a plastic "looks real" one.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I got mine when I got my first end of year bonus at my then "new" job. I was in my early 20s at the time. I couldn't afford anything with pearls, except the pearl stud earrings I got shortly after I had my ears pierced, so the nice bonus helped.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Pearl is supposed to be my birthstone, but I prefer garnet. A good realistic pearl shader now, though, that would be nice. Tricky, because it's a solid made up of layers that are translucent and faintly iridescent, but nice.

eclark1894

Visionary
My birthstone is garnet. I'd probably ask Bagginsbill about a pearl shader for Firefly. I'd have to find one for Superfly/Cycles.

eclark1894

Visionary
So instead of a necklace, it morphed into a class ring for Dusk. ;)

1576369112993.png

Apparently, I've forgotten everything I learned about texturing in Blender.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Easy to do. Especially if you've had a break from using it last. Blender's not so hard....if you're current. But take a break....and ow. I've had a break and went back in and it was like .... "how do I model in this thing, anyhow?"

Miss B

CV-BEE
UV map it first, and then texturing is easy, as I'm not sure just selecting a group of polys, and setting a color will work well in the end. I also don't think you can do it that way successfully with an actual texture, rather than just a simple color.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh nice. I'm liking the gem, though you could make it longer so that the bottom of the gem fits more securely into the setting. Of course, that's just a suggestion.

I'm definitely liking the second version better. In fact, I was going to suggest you round off the ring more, maybe with subdivision, as I don't recall that sort of ring having such flat edges, which result in sharp corners. Now it's thinner, so looking better. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
I still have some more work to do especially on the diamond. I saw a Blender video tonight that will help me with the material settings.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Kewl. If it's really helpful, get me the link, and I'll add it to the tutorial links I have in the Blender forum.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I don't know about "girls", but women still do, so I guess it's a matter of what audience you want to reach.

Pearl stud earrings would always go over, as would any other gem in that style pierced earring, I just don't know if younger gals would necessarily wear pearl necklaces.

According to my mum - raised firmly on posh-rules but never gave a hoot - pearls are not for young girls. They are - like gold - for grown women or if you are married. Gold is definetly not for young girls, silver is. Diamonds - and other gemstones like sapphires, emeralds, robies and opals - are depending on their size. The older and more established as a woman, and of course the occasion you are wearing the jewels, are important. But one never oversizes or wear to much.
I personally preferred the semi-gemstones like onyx and such combined with silver. It is of late (sjéééézzz I sound like my mum) that I start preferring gold but then I am over 50.