• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thank you, Miss B. I think you've just set a new record there for the fastest like ever! I was still editing the text! Mind you, there's no way I'm going to tell you how many naughty Victorian postcards I studied to make sure I got it close to authentic. Purely for research purposes of course and in the best possible taste! :rolleyes:
Just a matter of good timing. ;)

The colouring is Albumen from PaintShop Pro which is correct for photographic processing of that period.
Hmmmm. I have PSP installed, but it's an old version. I'll have to check that out. I'll also check to see if PS has something similar, as it might.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I'm running PSP2018 just now but I can't recall if the same effects are available in older versions. It's in Effects>Photo Effects>Time Machine (which covers a range from 1839 to 1960). Failing that in PSP and Photoshop try Sepia which comes close, then adjusting the colour balance slightly towards brown. In addition, try playing with the whites in the image to make them really kick. Boost the contrast slightly and you're done. Results varied depending on the original exposure so don't worry too much if you get some variations. Don't forget that photographers at that time were making individual exposures on albumen-coated glass plates so variations were par for the course! Another effect I want to try out is hand tinting, which was very popular (and very expensive!) at that period in time. Have fun! :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, Sepia is what it reminded me of when I first saw your render. I'm going to check to see what else I have that might work as well.

Hornet3d

Wise
Flying any drone via the cerebral implant was a difficult task which is why most drones were now equipped with advanced AI, leaving the flying of the drone to the drone itself and just letting it relay video straight back to the controller. This morning however Caoimhe decided she needed a challenge she felt it was good to run without AI on occasions, good practice for the rare occasions you might be forced to do so. It was a bright cold morning and the sun had not managed to melt all of the frost from the night before and she found the video feed quite uplifting .

Valley Drone Flight HW.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
Very nice Hornet, especially the landscape. ;)

Thanks, but I cannot take the credit for the scene which I purchased and is by Luigi Marini. I dropped back into Vue for this one which I was never very proficient at but the new creative version has a few extra features and also includes plant factory. I have access to it for a few months as I was once subscribed to Vue which gave you yearly updates but a few years ago the update did not happen and so I cancelled my subscription and thought no more about it. Now Vue is active again the new team have given me credit for the months I paid so I am testing it out to see if I want to continue to subscribe at the end of my credit. I only every used it in the past to render landscapes with with Poser content so I want to make sure this works before I go any further, hence this render. I have played a little with plant factory and that looks very powerful and capable of creating not only life like plants but good alien ones as well. The ecosystems has always had massive potential so I really need to give it a shake down while I have access.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Vue, I had a basic copy of 10 I think but gave up on either upgrading version or features

I stopped using Vue after version 8 which I found resource hungry which made it almost unusable despite the potential. I started again at version 2014 for a number of reasons, firstly some suggested in a forum it was much improved and also there was the subscription available which gave you a free update. This did away with another show stopper for me in that about every other version you needed to not only buy the new version but also updates of all the add-ons you had purchased. I also have a copy of 2015 which was launched during my subscription but then is went quiet for about 15 months and so I finally gave up my subscription.

I have to say version 2014 was a very different beast to version 8 and version 2015 added a little more and rendered slightly quicker. The ability to include Poser content and have Poser look after the materials at render time is a real plus for me. When I originally started on the new version I was disappointed as I could not use a lot of my content as I purchased it with the license lock which saved money. That lock saw the new version as a different program and thus would not load. After a little research I found you could request another code from the Vue team that would remove this restriction on a per machine basis. I made the request and the team supplied the code in less than twenty four hours so they do seem to be on the ball. From the little bit I have played with it seems every bit as good as version 2015 with plant factory thrown in. I can't do a comparison on speed as I have upgraded my computer since using 2015 but that was pretty fast on my old machine. The new Creative version is lightning fast but then my computer is now a bit of a beast.

I will give an update on how I get on so others can give it a go or leave it be.

robert952

Brilliant

Sock it to me!

Over at another site a thread discussed some late '50's to '60's pop culture. Reference to Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in came up. (It was around the catch phrase: "Look THAT up in your Funk and Wagnall's").

This image is a great update to the dancers with flowered backgrounds if you were to update Laugh-in. Not that it would be possible. It was a show for its time, wouldn't work today. Of course, they've released a remake of a few shows (Hawaii Five O, Magnum, etc.) So, who knows.

And speaking of updates from the 60's - I really like the upgrade of the Enterprise on Star Trek Discovery. Fits the overall upgraded look of ST:Discovery yet keeps the original 'lines' of NCC1701.

I'll stop now before I go off on more of my typical unrelated tangents.

Great job on the image. Thanks for sharing.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I looked up "the best of Laugh-in" on you tube, a lot of famous people on there (of course much younger than I remember them lol).
I love ST Discovery, just gotta remind my self it set in a parallel universe so I don't get upset of how much the Klingons have changed :p

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The bottom 2 have the HW Big and House cats but I put them here because it doesn't really feature them

Miss B

CV-BEE
You'd never know it looking at those nice renders you're doing with it. ;)

It takes time, so just keep at it. I was that way with SuperFly when I first got PP11, but now . . . I'm usually playing in SF all the time. You'll get comfortable at some point.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha I have no idea on how to even start anything in Carrara!

I open it up and go "nope!" and shut it down quickly.

I had a similar reaction to Poser, but at least I could load and dress a character but didn't know what to do about lights or even how to render so put it away (this is going back years ago, I got a free copy of 1 or 2). It wasn't until I picked up DS about 3 years ago and it just clicked. I got Poser again and at least its not soooo different to DS that I could kinda put what I know of DS to use. I used to pick up software pretty easy but I think my brain is going to mush, its so much hard to now.