• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What's a goo set of lights to test DS products in?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm trying to set up IRAY materials and it's all soooo bright. The set I'm using is one from Renderosity called IrayINTENSITYArtisticLighting.

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
Hehe, good question. Ask 5 different content creators and get 6 different answers... LOL
Personally, I use the DS default HDRI environment as a reference. My reasoning is that the default light setup is optimized for the program.
I usually rotate the environment by 65° so that the light comes from front right.
For finetuning the colors I set the white point color to a very light blue to filter out the blue-ish tint.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you! Is the default environment what happens when there are no lights added?

robert952

Brilliant
As esha suggests, design your work to fit the program it will most likely run it in. Don't forget, render engines and settings handle light sets differently. So it may be more than just the lights.

If you feel it vital to use a specific light set, point out to the user that aspect. (Ex. The textures and surfaces are optimized for use with <fill in the blank>.) At least that way, if someone renders an image and gets less than desirable results, they have a starting point to figure out why. I'd also advise you suggest settings for provide a set of parameters the user can apply when using the default and give a hint as to the likely outcome.

Again, point the user in the right direction to get the desired results.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I would go with what Esha said about the Default HDRI setting. Not everyone will use specific HDRI sets. I like Fabiana's Light Theory Zen Moods HDRI if you really want to get specific with it and you can turn off the enviro dome and use those, or Sveva's HDRI Portrait lights. Orestes does some awesome sets with natural lighting and outdoors environments and of course Dreamlight, but be ready to plunk out a good bit of change if they are not on sale.

Generally as a rule your 3DL materials are going to render brighter in Iray so what I tend to do is apply the Daz Uber Shader to the materials and render. If it appears too bright, then change the diffuse color to a very pale grey and then experiment from there, but Laurie turns down the diffuse setting so that it does not render as brightly. You can experiment with which method you like better. Also if you are using displacement settings, you need to make sure you set the Sub D level to at least 1 or the displacement won't work. However, if you are using Nomral maps you may not want to use the displacement setting as it can be too intense.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Hehe, good question. Ask 5 different content creators and get 6 different answers... LOL
Personally, I use the DS default HDRI environment as a reference. My reasoning is that the default light setup is optimized for the program.
I usually rotate the environment by 65° so that the light comes from front right.
For finetuning the colors I set the white point color to a very light blue to filter out the blue-ish tint.

I also use the default as it comes with. I rotate my dome to 73 degrees which is not much different than Esha's, but I can dial it down and see how much different that is. But I'll have to add the white point manip to that. Thanks for the great input!

M

Male-M3dia

I dont't use the default HDRI for testing in DS as the light doesn't pick up the minute detail in figure morphs. I have 2 sets of testing environments. One is a really good HDRI that I purchased from a a non-DS/Poser shop that was geared towards MODO. I use that to get a quick and dirty look at the morph i made to see if I want to use it in a product. Other light is a 3-point lighting setup with an emitter and a simple background, which i use check for any flaws in the product. There I would apply any poses and rotate the figure to make sure it looks good. This setup renders quickly and allows my products to move through testing quickly.