• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
One of the fat squirrels in our backyard :) They are tame enough so that they don't flee if there are no sudden noises. The deer are occasionally brave enough to come up into the yard. The animals know that they are safe here.

TREE-SQUIRREL.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I live in a rural area too, I'm on 1.25 acres of land with most of it wilderness. Someone saw a bear down the street a week ago. I've seen deer in my yard too. Saw some raccoon tracks in the snow last year. Also hear something really weird during the night every now and again. Almost sounds like a wounded animal howling. Asked on FB and someone said coyotes do that to lure dogs out of safety.

skylab

Esteemed
Oh my, you're really on a wildlife reservation...I thought we had wild kingdom here...haha. We're actually not in a rural area...we were just fortunate to get two acres in the middle of a busy, growing, very commercial, community. So the animals tend to flee toward us for survival in our wooded area out back. It was tailor made for my family, since I did grow up in the country. It would have indeed been culture shock for us if we had been forced to live in a town house or apartment with no yard. When I was very young, I had "Elly Mae Clampett" (Beverly Hillbillies) ways with my "critter" collection...haha. I've adapted to "city-fied ways", but I'm still very fond of animals....am just unable to care for a lot of pets, so all of that critter collecting inclination has been reduced to keeping one goldfish, Jo, who enjoys being the "only child".

JO-GOLDFISH-2018.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Beautiful fish! Yah I'm only 15 or so miles from Seattle as the crow flies. It's so different than Seattle where I'm at though.

skylab

Esteemed
Yep, that's my spoiled baby...haha...he'll be five years old in the spring...or I will have had him five years....he was probably close to six months or a year old when I got him. This year he has started a new habit....when I walk into the kitchen where his tank is, he starts making kissing noises at the top of the water...and sometimes it's loud...sounds like a balloon when air is squeezing out of a pinched opening... haha...that's the signal that he's ready to eat. I'm not sure why after over four years that he started doing this...but every day, same thing. When he was younger, the signal used to be he'd flip water over on me if he thought he was being ignored...like a dolphin does. I had started training him to play basketball...and was having success...then I had to quit when I was having health issues. He responded really well to food training, which was part of teaching tricks....but now he's so large, I'm concerned that he'd try to swallow the ball...he needs a much bigger ball now :)

skylab

Esteemed
I made the mistake of reclining for a moment in the middle of our conversation....and I just woke up...been asleep for quite awhile. Sorry about that senior moment...haha. Didn't get a lot of rest last night....was sleeping with one eye open in case we lost power during the storm, so today it caught up with me.

We were talking about pets and their unusual habits. I had a cat one time that learned to turn a door knob so that he could come out of his room. I've seen videos of other cats doing this on YouTube, so apparently it's rather common. He learned to jump at it from an elevated position, and land on it just right to get the knob to turn. Cats eventually learn to do whatever they want to...haha.

skylab

Esteemed
My friend's Siamese cat, playing "fetch" with twist ties. I sent the cat a Christmas card that year filled with silver twist ties, since he loved them so much...haha.

siggie-fetch.gif

skylab

Esteemed
In case any animation addicts (you know who you are) want to try this at home, I've zipped and attached to this post the Clay-O container and separate color tops that I modeled this morning in Anim8or.

clay-container-with-tops.jpg

Attachments

• CLAY-O.zip
    212.6 KB · Views: 118

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I had a cat that rang the doorbell to come inside. She got bit by something, nearly died. First thing she did when she was able to go out again was go to the front door, climb up the screen and ring the doorbell. She used to wait till she heard me on the phone and start ringing.

skylab

Esteemed
Oh my...hahaha. I thought it was funny when my cat Artie would open the door to his room...yours would ring the doorbell...haha. Pets can be a trip...if they have a secure routine, they can teach themselves so many things by watching others do it...the same way young children learn. And when I was a kid, my family thought it was so funny what animals would do for me...but I spent all my time outside with them and they liked to play as much as I did. My favorite cat at the time had a routine...whenever we went walking together, he'd walk every step of the way with me...until I turned to return home...then he'd fall down at my feet and play pitiful, with a delicate, soft meow...if I tried to keep on walking, he'd keep falling at my feet until I got the message...so that I'd pick him up and carry him all the way home. He knew that was his cuddle time and he knew how to ask for it. Recently I realized that I actually had a picture of him doing this dramatic, reaching up to be carried...and my little foot (I wasn't very old) is in the picture. When I realized I had this picture, I thought it might make a good cat pose for a future project....which I guess could be called "carry me".

cat-on-back.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That's so funny! He sure knew how to get what he wanted! Great idea for a pose.

skylab

Esteemed
Notice the limp right paw...and the far reach of the left...that was important for the effect...haha...and he always did it the same way...drama cat :) He was my favorite pet ever, out of all the many animals I've had. Every night without fail he'd climb a tree to get to the porch roof of our two story home, so that he could walk to my window and watch me go to sleep. My mother would not tolerate animals in the house, so I'd always very quietly lift the window, take him in my arms to give him a hug good night, then return him to the porch roof, and shut the window. He'd sit in the spot where I placed him faithfully, no matter how cold it was, until I fell asleep. He was an incredibly loyal pet. He never scratched....even in his "drama reach", he's not clawing...he's "pawing", which earned him his name. Tiger Paws never once was aggressive with me...very unusual temperament for a cat. His name came from the 60's TV commercial about Uniroyal car tires :) I always liked how the car morphed into a tiger...and I also liked the Esso gas station tiger, so they were sort of combined for the cat's name.