• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Stuff blowing up in Poser

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am pretty sure most 3D modeling programs have an option to chamfer edges, and perhaps call it different names.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I just said that because of how Pixologic went crazy naming things in ZBrush. They have a compulsion to name everything in exotic ways, even things that are well known in other programs. In a way, that must make sense considering how wild they went when designing the interface anyway. And of course, no 3D mouse support. That would be too conventional. LOL

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
LOL, yeah their UI does take time getting used to. It's funny when folks complain about finding anything in Blender, but they've probably never seen the ZBrush UI, so they've nothing to compare it to.

Then again, Maya's UI isn't exactly simple either, BUT everything's arranged according to what you're doing, modeling, rendering, UV Mapping, etc. The menus change depending on what type of work you're doing.

Nod

Adventurous
Has anyone had this problem before in Poser? A dog crate I made blows up out of shape for someone else. I opened the files in zbrush and it turns out there was a lot of extra verts in there. So they tried it again and it's still doing it.

I've had it with poses I've created in Poser, when loading them in Carrara to render a scene the pose would go mental, like the feet would grow 6ft long, or flip 180 degrees! The weird thing is that it's only with some poses, not all of them.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I've had it with poses I've created in Poser, when loading them in Carrara to render a scene the pose would go mental, like the feet would grow 6ft long, or flip 180 degrees! The weird thing is that it's only with some poses, not all of them.

Could also be that Poser can store feet and hands translations with the pose, which may do nothing while still in Poser, but that can cause mayhem elsewhere. This might happen then figure was posed with IK on, by dragging the hands and feet.

Nod

Adventurous
Could also be that Poser can store feet and hands translations with the pose, which may do nothing while still in Poser, but that can cause mayhem elsewhere. This might happen then figure was posed with IK on, by dragging the hands and feet.
I'll try again. Do you think that would that apply to a pose where the mirrored one works, but the original messes up?

D

Deleted member 325

I'll try again. Do you think that would that apply to a pose where the mirrored one works, but the original messes up?
yes. It is very likely the non-mirrored pose has IK data stored. The mirror function in poser produces undesirable results if IK is on as do many scripts - so it was likely disabled prior to mirroring and not re-enabled. Easy way to know, compare the 2 file sizes - if one is larger by more than a few kb it has IK or morph data embedded.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

Like KageRyu said. Here goes a few suggestions. If you must pose the figure with IK on, just make sure you disable it completely before saving the pose. I often use IK to place the feet on the ground, since Poser/DS don't detect or enforce feet contact. The only thing is that saving the pose with IK on will save the feet translations instead of the joint rotations. This is normal and correct behavior, but it requires IK to be on when you use the pose, which is something you don't want. It creates an undesired dependency.

In some cases, when the joint rotations are more extreme and you have IK on, the body may "explode" if you disable IK. This is also normal, but definitely not desirable. What happens is that IK will try to keep the feet still no matter the knees and thigh rotations, which can build up a spring effect when the feet are released. For this reason, IK is ideal for small feet or hands adjustments. If you need larger adjustments on the pose, it's best to disable IK to keep the body from "exploding".

Hope it helps. :)

Nod

Adventurous
Ta much. I'll have a look through them all and make sure that the IK is switched off. :laugh: