• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn Goes Shopping

Leana

Enthusiast
Oh definitely understand. I can't imagine anyone creating 25-30 cans of Campbell's soup just to make it look more realistic, and I don't know of any way, as yet, for Poser to do instancing. Not even sure if the latest version of DS does it, though it might.
Instancing has been available in DS for a few years now. It was added in DS4.5 IIRC.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, I had to trash the other case and start over again. It had too many vertices, and faces that weren't really needed or attached. I probably could have cleaned up the mesh, but frankly, it was just simpler to start over. That's kind of what I'd like to do to Dawn's house. I'm learning a lot as I continue modeling, but most of it is trial and error. As Kenny Loggins used to sing, "You gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em".

upload_2018-5-24_8-20-55.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Finished the store shelving to form the aisles. These shots I'm putting up are Blender's Cycles Preview renders, so everything looks rather flat. There's no depth to any of them. Those shelves look like they're right in front of the store window, but they're actually set back a little ways. And they do NOT almost reach the back of the store, but they are longer than they appear here.
upload_2018-5-24_16-5-38.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Thanks, Miss B. That Blender 3D text effect is really great. I did one for the meat and poultry section and another for the Produce section. I still have to model the display cases and a few other details before I start doing food stuff, but otherwise, I think it's coming along nicely. Nice thing is that stuff like the cash register can be used in a shoe store down the line.
upload_2018-5-24_20-1-22.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Very true, as check out counters/registers are pretty much universal. Only thing that "might" be different is the movable portion you see in most food stores, but not necessarily in say a Target or Best Buy store.

This is really come along nicely.

eclark1894

Visionary
So I was making a can of soda in Blender and it came out okay, but when I tried to render it, it looked a little washed out and I can't seem to figure out why.

upload_2018-5-26_20-15-50.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Could be your Blender lighting. Is that a Blender Render or Cycles Render?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmmm, not sure what would cause it, other than not enough lighting. Then again, it could be the material setup.

I've only done one Cycles render while doing a tutorial a year or so ago, and that had instructions for using a mesh light, so more emissive than a regular light? Not sure if that's the answer.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmmmm, not sure what would cause it, other than not enough lighting. Then again, it could be the material setup.

I've only done one Cycles render while doing a tutorial a year or so ago, and that had instructions for using a mesh light, so more emissive than a regular light? Not sure if that's the answer.
Yeah, seems lighting is at least a part of the problem.

upload_2018-5-27_10-10-23.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Check out your post over at the SM Poser forum, as Ghostship suggested using his freebie SuperFly Shader. Check out the render he posted.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, SuperFly is based on Cycles, so they might give you some ideas.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Have you tried flipping the texture to see if it works? Very often you can't tell what's the top, or bottom of a UV island just by looking at it, especially if it's not a unique shape. You may have to rotate around that island to get the texture to look correct.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
To fill the cases could you use a single face and have in image on it?