• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
The station had been tracking the meteor storm for some months and now it was here and, according to the reports, it had only just begun. The was nothing of a size that was liable to complete it's passage through the planet's atmosphere, despite it's rather thin makeup but a few EMF pulses that were latterly detected around the storm might have a minor effect on some sensitive circuits. For now nothing untoward had happened and Caoimhe took the chance to enjoy the firework display nature had decided to provide.

Ensk Outpost Night HW.jpg

Scene - Ensk Outpost by Petipet with lighting modified using Seachnasaigh's ambient boost node group.

Suit - CKV-01 for Dawn by Ken1171 Designs - Volpe Box

Background - Planets, Stars and Nebulas - Space Backgrounds 1 by ellearden.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Isn't Antonia Polygon a free model that never quite caught on? Remarkable use. It just shows to go ya, it depends on the artist to deliver. Ms. Light, you certainly did with this one!
Yes, she is free and her the link to her and all her free items is in my post in the resources forum.
I used a light preset but adjusted it to suit myself.
The texture is using BB's Elderskin settings (found on his site) adjusted as well.
Thank you for the comments.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The station had been tracking the meteor storm for some months and now it was here and, according to the reports, it had only just begun. The was nothing of a size that was liable to complete it's passage through the planet's atmosphere, despite it's rather thin makeup but a few EMF pulses that were latterly detected around the storm might have a minor effect on some sensitive circuits. For now nothing untoward had happened and Caoimhe took the chance to enjoy the firework display nature had decided to provide.

View attachment 36221

Scene - Ensk Outpost by Petipet with lighting modified using Seachnasaigh's ambient boost node group.

Suit - CKV-01 for Dawn by Ken1171 Designs - Volpe Box

Background - Planets, Stars and Nebulas - Space Backgrounds 1 by ellearden.
I love that story lie and the set up here.
Wonderful work!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Sweeet! Isn't that a Vader type ship? A typical Tie Fighter has no shields. A Vader type does which is why he survived when he crashed into the other Tie Fighter allowing to Luke to destroy the Death Star while Wedge fled.

Wedge to Luke. "Sorry!"
Yeah, that's Vader's ship. I thought about animating it in GIMP, but man that would be a PITA. I might just take it out.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Yeah, that's Vader's ship. I thought about animating it in GIMP, but man that would be a PITA. I might just take it out.
I suppose you're right. You normally are. However did you know that Blender is listed as the top free 3D animation program?

If your're going 2D, I can give you a list of freebies for that.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I suppose you're right. You normally are. However did you know that Blender is listed as the top free 3D animation program?

If your're going 2D, I can give you a list of freebies for that.
I did the animation in Poser, and I am going to re-export them as image files. I am using VirtualDub to composite them back into a video format. I will do all the post work in GIMP. There is no easy way around that. Either I do the render quickly and settle for hours of post work, or I use seachnasaigh's materials and the renders take hours and hours.

I did know Blender was the top free 3D application... for pretty much everything. Check out YouTube and find the Blender Foundation movies, Bug Buck Bunny, Sintel and Agent 327. Everything you need is in Blender to make those movies. I just don't have the energy to learn all of it.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
There is no easy way around that. Either I do the render quickly and settle for hours of post work, or I use seachnasaigh's materials and the renders take hours and hours.
Rendering with lightcasting will certainly take longer than a simple render, though it shouldn't take hours per frame for that relatively simple scene. What processor do you have? (core count, H/T or not, clockspeed)?
It may be a matter of getting efficient render settings - having Superfly do what's needed, without wasting time on unused functions.
Are you rendering on just the one machine?

It may be worthwhile to parented two point lights along the lightsabre blade to compensate for lack of lightcasting. Make sure that the point light balls are larger diameter than the lightsabre blade.
If that blade is a cylinder-ish mesh, then you could duplicate it as a separate parented prop, scale it in two axes so that it's much fatter than the blade, and apply an aura material to it. Cut the aura's long edges to make the polys more square-ish, and in Poser subdivide that aura a couple of times to get a soft rounded shape. Or, download my glowy demos pack (ShareCG or R'osity) and use one of those lightsabres (change color as needed).
simplified lightsabre.png

With those two hacks, it should render at decent speed and you'd not need to postwork.

If that solution doesn't pan out, I have that landing platform (I'd want to update the materials) and SydneyG2. I don't know about the hair. But I could bring 19-23 computers (all dual hex-core) to bear on the animation.
I haven't got Cassiopeia, Miranda, and Polyhymnia done yet; Cameron is on a different Poser build number than the rest.

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Rendering with lightcasting will certainly take longer than a simple render, though it shouldn't take hours per frame for that relatively simple scene. What processor do you have? (core count, H/T or not, clockspeed)?
It may be a matter of getting efficient render settings - having Superfly do what's needed, without wasting time on unused functions.
Are you rendering on just the one machine?

It may be worthwhile to parented two point lights along the lightsabre blade to compensate for lack of lightcasting. Make sure that the point light balls are larger diameter than the lightsabre blade.
If that blade is a cylinder-ish mesh, then you could duplicate it as a separate parented prop, scale it in two axes so that it's much fatter than the blade, and apply an aura material to it. Cut the aura's long edges to make the polys more square-ish, and in Poser subdivide that aura a couple of times to get a soft rounded shape. Or, download my glowy demos pack (ShareCG or R'osity) and use one of those lightsabres (change color as needed).
View attachment 36261
With those two hacks, it should render at decent speed and you'd not need to postwork.

If that solution doesn't pan out, I have that landing platform (I'd want to update the materials) and SydneyG2. I don't know about the hair. But I could bring 19-23 computers (all dual hex-core) to bear on the animation.
I haven't got Cassiopeia, Miranda, and Polyhymnia done yet; Cameron is on a different Poser build number than the rest.
I'll keep all of this in mind. cousin. To be honest, I kind of like the look I get from doing the light saber in post. They went from using a stick wrapped in film to rotoscoping to completely digital in the movies. It's hard to recreate that using emitters.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
My machine is pretty robust, but it would still take a long time to render 300 frames. As far as the hair, I can accept her own conforming hair if you want to change it.

Email sent from my Yahoo! account...

Hornet3d

Wise
As Turlough was a petrolhead she had expected his interest in the car to be a little different even if it was not powered by petrol. His insistence that she could not drive it on the UK roads as it was not registered, tax or insured seem a little petty, particularly as she was sure that went for about 10% of the population anyway. Caoimhe's response that she was happy to let him sort out the insurance did not calm him much either so she decided to leave telling him about the rocket launcher on the roof, heat seeking missiles in the wheels and twin machine guns under the hood until much later.

Splinter HW.jpg

Vehicle - The Splinter by Polish (with lights/displays enhanced using Seachnasaigh's ambient boost node group).

Outfits - Her - Superhero for Dawn by Ken1171 Designs with leather texture from Fabric Frenzy-Leathers Vol. 1 PBR Textures & Poser Shaders MR by Deecey.
Him - Michael 4 Business Suit by Predatron - Diane

Lighting - Ezdome and one area light.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
My machine is pretty robust, but it would still take a long time to render 300 frames. As far as the hair, I can accept her own conforming hair if you want to change it.

Email sent from my Yahoo! account...
Ah, if you like the result, then the only issue is whether the time to render is a problem. I had gotten the impression that you were dreading the task of postworking 300 frames.

I don't dislike the hair, I just don't know (offhand) whether I have it.

Email - I dropped the Roadrunner internet service; try the same address but at Frontier.com

Hornet3d

Wise
I noticed that some more dawn clothes are on sale today and one of them the One Shoulder Dress 1 for Dawn has been in my wish list for quite while now so I decided to do a little retail therapy. Often when I buy new content I have a play with few items with no particular render in mind and just see how it renders or what turns up. I am still trying to get my head around superfly so here is another superfly render using Ezdome and one light for the lighting.

One Shoulder HW.jpg

Dress texture is another from the Deecey Fabric Frenzy-Cottons Vol. 1 PBR Textures & Poser Shaders MR set.

D

Deleted member 325

Some quick tips to make it slightly less of a PITA if you do...I use PS more than GiMP but as I recall GiMP supports layers...

1) on a fresh layer, carefully paint an all-white mask over just the Tie Fighter you wish to remove or animate.
2)Use magic wand with very restrictive settings to select this White area.
3)Switch Layers to the actual image so the Tie Fighter is now masked.
4) Cut the Tie Fighter (not Delete).
5) Paste Tie Fighter in New Layer and temporarily hide the layer.
6) Repaint sections of Death Star where Tie Fighter was...

Now you have the backdrop with the Tie on a different layer that you can move around, scale, etc... to do simple animations with...

Alternative, I offer this possibility:
1) Tell me what frame size you need the backdrop in, and your preferred image format and frame count (I think I saw 300).
I will make a quick 300 frame animated DeathStar/Tie Fighter backdrop for you, using the above as a base.

I offer this because I just upgraded Lightwave to 2018 and want to do some renders in it anyway to compare performance to earlier versions. I have lots of SW content from the old days.
See these from my Lightwave 9 Star Wars Facebook Covers:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Some quick tips to make it slightly less of a PITA if you do...I use PS more than GiMP but as I recall GiMP supports layers...

1) on a fresh layer, carefully paint an all-white mask over just the Tie Fighter you wish to remove or animate.
2)Use magic wand with very restrictive settings to select this White area.
3)Switch Layers to the actual image so the Tie Fighter is now masked.
4) Cut the Tie Fighter (not Delete).
5) Paste Tie Fighter in New Layer and temporarily hide the layer.
6) Repaint sections of Death Star where Tie Fighter was...

Now you have the backdrop with the Tie on a different layer that you can move around, scale, etc... to do simple animations with...

Alternative, I offer this possibility:
1) Tell me what frame size you need the backdrop in, and your preferred image format and frame count (I think I saw 300).
I will make a quick 300 frame animated DeathStar/Tie Fighter backdrop for you, using the above as a base.

I offer this because I just upgraded Lightwave to 2018 and want to do some renders in it anyway to compare performance to earlier versions. I have lots of SW content from the old days.
See these from my Lightwave 9 Star Wars Facebook Covers:

That's a really generous offer, but the Death Star and the tie fighter are separate layers! I just realized the tie fighter might throw the whole animation off if it's not moving throughout as everything else is.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Ah, if you like the result, then the only issue is whether the time to render is a problem. I had gotten the impression that you were dreading the task of postworking 300 frames.

I don't dislike the hair, I just don't know (offhand) whether I have it.

Email - I dropped the Roadrunner internet service; try the same address but at Frontier.com
Okay. I will try it again. You can remove that light saber and replace it with yours too if you like.

As far as the hair, I am trying to locate it again. I thought I had downloaded it from 'rosity free stuff, but I can't seem to find it there now. But you know how that site and the search function is...

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I just realized the tie fighter might throw the whole animation off if it's not moving throughout as everything else is.

I think it would indeed be noticeable. If it is a 2d image but a separate layer, you could start with it small, and at the last frame have it larger and somewhat to the right. Let the animation editor 'tween the intervening frames.

Okay. I will try it again. You can remove that light saber and replace it with yours too if you like.

As far as the hair, I am trying to locate it again. I thought I had downloaded it from 'rosity free stuff, but I can't seem to find it there now. But you know how that site and the search function is...

If you send the PZ3, I can quickly make an aura/emitter for the lightsabre you're using.

Yahoo has begun repeatedly throwing up fullscreen popups wanting me to whitelist their ads; I sent you an email from my new internet carrier's service.
It isn't the ads per se with which I take issue; it's that Yahoo is notorious for letting boobytrapped/malware ads onto their system.

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I think it would indeed be noticeable. If it is a 2d image but a separate layer, you could start with it small, and at the last frame have it larger and somewhat to the right. Let the animation editor 'tween the intervening frames.

If you send the PZ3, I can quickly make an aura/emitter for the lightsabre you're using.

Yahoo has begun repeatedly throwing up fullscreen popups wanting me to whitelist their ads; I sent you an email from my new internet carrier's service.
I replied. I sent the pz3 and the texture I am using on her 2nd skin suit. You are free to do anything you like to the scene.