• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What I worked on today

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I'm working on a fun render at the moment, as well as a hundred other things! This will be loosely based on an artwork by Raul Guerra, he's the fellow who makes mainly sad-faced pictures of people.
I used Dawn as the base and I used a face texture that was made for V4 and used the face part to fit to Dawn, then I adjusted the body texture to match the face colouring. I made her absolutely as thin as possible and stretched her neck, all of which caused major issues (sternum pokethrough, back of neck hunched up, face geometry facetted and some other stuff) so I took Dawn into ZBrush and fixed the issues, then sent the fixes back to Poser as morphs. I'm pretty pleased with the result of her face and body shape at this stage.
I've used a V4 eye texture for the moment until I find or tweak one made for Dawn that I like. I'm not sure what colour her eyes should be, and a teacher in school told me that most black people have very dark brown eyes but Google disagrees and now I'm unsure because the only black people I know here all have brown eyes.

The pic below is just a preview, she looks better rendered with bump maps on etc. I will probably pale her skin down a bit like in the reference pic for the final render.
I'll be working on the hat next, having fun trying to imagine the 2D hat into a 3D one. And I'm really not sure of the red things on the side of the hat are cotton wool, feathers or cloth as I've only been able to find low resolution versions of that reference pic.

girl1.png

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I decided to do a quickie render in Octane before I go to bed. Other things I forgot to mention include the ears, In ZBrush I morphed Dawn's ears to match the V4 texture as it was so much easier to do it that way in than trying to transform/distort the V4 texture to Dawn's ear shape in either ZBrush or Photoshop. All I need to do with her now is figure out what colour eyes she should have, assuming that black people don't all have brown eyes. The rest of the work will be the hat, and the dress.

girl2.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
I decided to do a quickie render in Octane before I go to bed. Other things I forgot to mention include the ears, In ZBrush I morphed Dawn's ears to match the V4 texture as it was so much easier to do it that way in than trying to transform/distort the V4 texture to Dawn's ear shape in either ZBrush or Photoshop. All I need to do with her now is figure out what colour eyes she should have, assuming that black people don't all have brown eyes. The rest of the work will be the hat, and the dress.

View attachment 34362

Your hard work has really paid off, not to mention the large amounts of talent you are clearly gifted with.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
As a generalisation Bonnie, I've found that the darker the skin the darker the eyes (certainly not always the case of course). For example, I've never seen a "black" Black skin with light coloured eyes unless they have Waardenburg's which can give vivid blue eyes. Most of the "dark brown" Black skin I've seen can have greens, hazel and darker with only occasionally blue eyes. When you start getting into average "brown" or lighter Black skin then you can get a full range of colour with black or brown eyes being the most common then hazel or green then the rest. Again this is very general.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
As a generalisation Bonnie, I've found that the darker the skin the darker the eyes (certainly not always the case of course). For example, I've never seen a "black" Black skin with light coloured eyes unless they have Waardenburg's which can give vivid blue eyes. Most of the "dark brown" Black skin I've seen can have greens, hazel and darker with only occasionally blue eyes. When you start getting into average "brown" or lighter Black skin then you can get a full range of colour with black or brown eyes being the most common then hazel or green then the rest. Again this is very general.

Thanks for the guidance Rae. I might try hazel and see if it works with the rest of the colours, if not then I can fall back on dark brown. I'm just dashing off to school now. There are a few black girls there so I will try get a look at their eyes later.

Dylan

Eager
That's a lovely custom character morph Bonnie, it really is. Good luck with the hat too, you already have the tricky shapes worked out so it can only get easier.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Oh, I almost forgot to add that I seen three black girls in school today, and they all had dark brown eyes even though their parents were from different parts of Africa, that is Nigeria, Cameroon and Uganda.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Okay so I've ran into a problem and spent hours over the weekend trying to figure it out. The hat is almost finished, except for the red cloth things on the sides. It is UV mapped and all textures are made and working in ZBrush. I decided to send it to Poser and see how it looked with the textures applied.
Here is how it looks in ZBrush:

ZBrush ScreenGrab01.jpg

Here it is as sent by GoZ to Poser:

girl4.jpg

All the parts are separate (6 parts) and each has their own UV map, but even if I merge them into one piece I still get the same result. It's as if Poser is ignoring the UV map, even when I bypass GoZ and export the parts as OBJ's and import them to Poser manually.
The parts all have UV's, here are the front green tubes UV layout (in UV Mapper) and texture map, and they are correctly placed:

HatFrontTubesUVScreengrab.jpg

HatFrontTubesScreengrab2.jpg

I'm really stuck on this and I've tried various UV settings in Poser. I've successfully made props for Poser before and never had this problem. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it lots.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure.. but it seems that in poser it use the texture as tile and the tile is multiplied... check it in the materials tab advanced... not sure if i explain it ok.
in the image tab there are parameters for each image and you can try there.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Yes I seen the tile option. This looks more like the image is being broken up as well as tiled. I tried in Octane as well and get the same result:

girl6.jpg

I called up to Dylan's house to see if he can help, but his Dad said he is away in Amsterdam with some friends so no help there.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
BTW it renders correctly in Keyshot, but I prefer Octane I think it does people stuff like skin and eyes better.