• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

quietrob

Extraordinary
My New Year resolution for 2018 is to do at least one render a week. So far I've kept up, though it is still only January and gardening season is a ways off yet. One of them's a Dawn scene -- Meeting the New Baby:

DAZ Studio. :)
Not only superb work but a link to a superb, packed with information, website as well. Well done, ma'am!

Hornet3d

Wise
My New Year resolution for 2018 is to do at least one render a week. So far I've kept up, though it is still only January and gardening season is a ways off yet. One of them's a Dawn scene -- Meeting the New Baby:

Lovely render, a very different but interesting POV.

Hornet3d

Wise
I won't post the image again but I have been able to correct the washed out look in my renders of Dawn in the CKV01 outfit. In this render I am using EZdome with one light acting as the sun and this caused most of the color in the skin to wash out as it was the case with other lighting setups. Adding a HSV node in the materials was the answer in all lighting setup except EZdome and nothing I did would correct the wash out, nothing that is until I changed the ambient on the outer dome, changing the ambient on inner dome seemed to have little effect.

On the wider issue I now have a superfly setup to the point I am happy to use Dawn in my scenes but for portraits I am going to stick with firefly for the time being. The superfly renders are too soft for may liking and one problem I have not been able to solve is the lack of detail taken from the image maps. Skin blemishes like freckles, which render fine in firefly just disappear or become ghostly in superfly. I could well be a problem in the way I have adapted the shaders but I have no idea how to correct it and it has a massive difference on the final render.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist

Great render...I was wondering what grass this is?

Michele

Eager
Thanks; I'd never done a render from the top camera view before. Being adventurous!

quietrob, glad you find the blog useful. It's been around a while, through some dry patches and what not.

Pendraia, the grass is from Esha's Grassy Grounds Megapack over at DAZ. It generally renders pretty fast for me.

Hornet3d

Wise
Woa, I think I have finally cracked superfly. Dawn with my modified maps with EZdome added and only light to simulate the sun, although I am not sure sun is correct with this background. Skin shows all the blemishes from the image map, eyes have reflections and are not ghostly white and the skin is not washed out. Maybe not be spot on but this is the best I have got so far, not only that but there is control in the shaders to modify for any given scene. Render time is in the region of two and a half to three hours for a 2500 x 1760 pixel render at 600pix/per inch and I could have stopped it at the two hour mark with virtual no negative impact.

Milky Way HW.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW Hornet, she's looking fabulous. I think you're really getting it spot on. One question though. You mentioned your render was at 600ppi, and I'm wondering how you set that up in the Poser SuperFly render settings, as I've never seen such a setting in Poser. I can set ppi in Photoshop, though 300ppi is usually used for printing, so not sure I'd ever consider anything as high as 600ppi.

Me195

Extraordinary
Woa, I think I have finally cracked superfly. Dawn with my modified maps with EZdome added and only light to simulate the sun, although I am not sure sun is correct with this background. Skin shows all the blemishes from the image map, eyes have reflections and are not ghostly white and the skin is not washed out. Maybe not be spot on but this is the best I have got so far, not only that but there is control in the shaders to modify for any given scene. Render time is in the region of two and a half to three hours for a 2500 x 1760 pixel render at 600pix/per inch and I could have stopped it at the two hour mark with virtual no negative impact.

View attachment 34476

Great job Hornet3d! That's some of the best skin I've seen in superfly yet.

raven

Admirable
Miss B, you can set ppi resolution in the render dimensions dialog.
The thing is though, ppi doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the render quality, as it is still only rendering a finite amount of pixels.
A pic rendered at 72ppi at a size of 2500 x 1760 = a pic with 4400000 pixels.
A pic rendered at 600ppi at a size of 2500 x 1760 = a pic with 4400000 pixels. No difference.

It would only make a difference if you were going to print it, in which case you would be printing a picture around 4" x 3" at 600ppi, around 8" x 6" at 300ppi or a picture around 34" x 25" at 72 ppi. So unless you are rendering for print, the ppi setting is almost meaningless.

Hornet3d

Wise
WOW Hornet, she's looking fabulous. I think you're really getting it spot on. One question though. You mentioned your render was at 600ppi, and I'm wondering how you set that up in the Poser SuperFly render settings, as I've never seen such a setting in Poser. I can set ppi in Photoshop, though 300ppi is usually used for printing, so not sure I'd ever consider anything as high as 600ppi.

Render Dimensions has three boxes, width, height and resolution. Theory is that 72 is fine for screen work and 300 for printing. Reference manual suggest you can go as high a 1200 but with an impact on performance and storage. Now why do I render at this size and why the high resolution ? Well each year I treat myself to a photobook with a collection of my favorite renders for that year. My favorite book is a lay flat A3 size which gives me the option of a double page spread for a landscape render. Most are standard A3 as so at 300dpi that is 4961 x 3508 but the test I have done so far a superfly render will take 10 - 15 hours to render at that size while a render at half that is around 2 - 3 hours. I render at 2500 x 1731 and then resize the image in Paint Shop Pro to give me 4961 x 3508 but the resize softens the image. I then use the unsharp mask tool to sharpen and 600 dpi sharpens a lot nicer than 300.

My printers are online and the images have to be .jpg and around 10 - 12m which leaves me more than enough headroom for any of my images. I am sure someone will say there is either a better way of doing it or my method should not work, all I know is I have been using this method to six years and I am happy with the results. I have just placed the order for the 2017 - 2018 book as it was 40% off and I have three months to build the book so I am going to be busy for a few weeks.

If you want to get an idea try this link

Caoimhe - a A4 Pro Lay Flat Book shared by Photobox member Paul Bennett

I am not trying to sell any books so ignore the price I did not set it and would rather it was not there but I have not found a way of sharing it without the price being there.

Hornet3d

Wise
Great job Hornet3d! That's some of the best skin I've seen in superfly yet.

Thanks, but it really has been a joint effort, so many people have helped me as I stumbled on with one trial after another. If I had not had that help I would have given up as renders were taking an age but now I can see the start of the whole image in seconds, a real boon when your in poke and hope mode.

Me195

Extraordinary

Fantastic Render. I like the perspective.

raven

Admirable
Hornet, that's a pretty cool thing to do, get a book printed up of favourite renders. I may have to do that one day. My renders obviously though! :)
Yep. Definitely a cool thing!

Nice to hear why you use 600ppi as a final resolution, it makes more sense to me now, although with your workflow of resizing the final image in PSP, the Poser ppi still doesn't really matter, just the actual pixel dimensions do.