• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

YUGE GAME CHANGER in DAZ STUDIO in beta right now

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I happen to like uneven length dresses, but didn't think Dawn had created one for our Dawn, V4 or Genesis.

However, she does have one two-piece dress, Dynamic 06 - Peacock Dress, which has an overskirt that shape, but it's much shorter in the front, and much longer in the back than what your reference photo shows. She also has the Cha Cha Skirt, which is more like the length you're looking for, but you would need to add a bodice to make it a dress.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I did go to Rendo and I found a dress I believe will work for my purpose. I think it's the right length. I wish it had the long sleeves, though.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhhh, that looks like it'll work nicely. I just took a look at it in their store, and I see the sleeves are what I call Cap Sleeves, so their just below the shoulder, but very full, so not sure how you would make a regular sleeve on it, unless you want a very loose sleeve.

eclark1894

Visionary
Ohhhhh, that looks like it'll work nicely. I just took a look at it in their store, and I see the sleeves are what I call Cap Sleeves, so their just below the shoulder, but very full, so not sure how you would make a regular sleeve on it, unless you want a very loose sleeve.
Actually, I'm having some issues with it. It doesn't quite fit Dawn. Poser' Cloth room doesn't like it when portions of the cloth object intersects with the figure. Most people don't realize that 90% of their problems with Poser's Cloth room is that issue alone.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've found that not all dynamic clothing others create are really set up as best they can be as far as collisions are concerned. I'm always playing with the settings to get the best sim I can.

BTW, I grabbed it at such a good price, so will be playing with it. I'll let you know later what I come up with.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, I'm having some issues with it. It doesn't quite fit Dawn. Poser' Cloth room doesn't like it when portions of the cloth object intersects with the figure. Most people don't realize that 90% of their problems with Poser's Cloth room is that issue alone.
OK, first thing I noticed when installing is . . . instead of one dress with 3 separate fits for Dawn, V4 and V6/Genesis 2, they created 3 separate dresses, with 3 separate OBJ files. Who does that???? Oh, and the original product had a different 3rd vendor listed in the ReadMe file, and also included pant, bracers and a hat. Hmmmmm . . . .

They also included 3 separate Drape poses, one for each of the gals, and they're in A-Pose, instead of the usual T-Pose we're used to, and I can pretty much guess because the dress was originally created in Marvelous Designer, because that's how MD's built-in avatars are posed. Needless to say, dropping Dawn's arms slightly works just fine, so the Drape poses aren't really needed, but hey, they created this almost 5 years ago, so Dawn was still fairly new, and the other products I've had by a couple of the vendors of this dress are mostly background images, so they might not have had much experience with dynamic clothing back then.

Anyway, that said, it really didn't work right. I set up my pose in frame 30, and it's a pose where she's almost totally turned around. Now if the dress were properly parented to her, I would think it would turn with her, but it doesn't. Now I've gotten into the habit of rotating Dawn slightly in frame 1, so she's pretty much in the same rotation as the final pose in frame 30, but in this case I had to rotate Dawn back -135 so she's facing front so the dress stays facing in that direction during the full simulation. I don't now what they've done to that dress for it to rotate differently than Dawn does, and I did try changing the parenting from Body to Chest 2, but that didn't help either.

I'm going to play some more, and then I'll post a render for you to see.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK Earl. I didn't think this would take that long, but there was a good amount of tweaking to do to get it to sim properly, especially in the back, even though I didn't select Ignore Feet. I finally had to move her left leg forward slightly so the dress would hang free.

As far as I can tell the biggest problem is the sleeves. Unfortunately, there's no separate matzone for the sleeves, so the only way to make them invisible is to create a new UV Map, and then you have to create a new OBJ, and since this isn't our work, we can't do that, so I don't know how to get rid of the sleeves.

That said, however, I didn't use the Drape Pose for Dawn, I only moved her arms into A-Pose, but they're pushing out the back of the dress, so they can't sim properly. I'll try their Drape Pose tomorrow, and see if it gives any better results. Meanwhile, here's a quick render so you can see the pose I was talking about, and how the dress kept rotating around incorrectly. It's as if they created the dress to ONLY work when facing front. I had to rotate Dawn around in her final pose so she was facing front, and THEN the sim worked. ~shakes head~

Dawn-HolyDress-1.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
OK Earl. I didn't think this would take that long, but there was a good amount of tweaking to do to get it to sim properly, especially in the back, even though I didn't select Ignore Feet. I finally had to move her left leg forward slightly so the dress would hang free.

As far as I can tell the biggest problem is the sleeves. Unfortunately, there's no separate matzone for the sleeves, so the only way to make them invisible is to create a new UV Map, and then you have to create a new OBJ, and since this isn't our work, we can't do that, so I don't know how to get rid of the sleeves.

That said, however, I didn't use the Drape Pose for Dawn, I only moved her arms into A-Pose, but they're pushing out the back of the dress, so they can't sim properly. I'll try their Drape Pose tomorrow, and see if it gives any better results. Meanwhile, here's a quick render so you can see the pose I was talking about, and how the dress kept rotating around incorrectly. It's as if they created the dress to ONLY work when facing front. I had to rotate Dawn around in her final pose so she was facing front, and THEN the sim worked. ~shakes head~

View attachment 42659
Well, I think part of the problem is that V cut in the back. It LOOKS good, but structurally causes problems. I don't know what D-Force would do for it, but you can constrain the back in the Cloth Room.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When it comes to dresses, perhaps the simplest solution is to constrain the dresses entire upper body, so that it behaves like conforming. The only thing that needs draping (in most cases) is the skirt part, so constraining saves times and keeps whatever shape the dress has on the torso. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, I was just going to post about that Ken, as there's no specific matzone for the neckline so you can constrain just the V-Neck in the back.

Probably constraining the whole top might even work for the sleeves. I need to play with the included Drape Pose they included to see if that fixes the sleeves issue.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Poser dynamic groups give us vertex-level control over what we want to constrain, so you don't need a specific MAT zone. You can lasso select the whole upper body, or just the parts that you want to keep out of the simulation. When doing this, it often helps to check the option to hide all other objects, so you can see what you want to select better. Just remember to uncheck the option afterwards, because if you don't, Poser will keep the figure invisible. If that happens, you can bring it back with the Hierarchy Editor. :)