• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

YUGE GAME CHANGER in DAZ STUDIO in beta right now

eclark1894

Visionary
I really don't want my thread turned into a war of Poser vs DAZ Studio. It IS a game changer for DAZ Studio users so yea, my subject line is appropriate. It's not a game changer for Poser users as you have had your toys allot longer but from what I've seen the DAZ Studio system seems simpler and more intuitive so again it IS A GAME CHANGER FOR DAZ STUDIO USERS! Thanks
Okay , Richard, I wasn't going to say anything at first, but I don't think you've ever seen me try to start a software war, even though, I'm pretty much exclusively a Poser user. I still DON'T think it's a game changer even for DAZ users. For the sake of all that's holy, I hope DForce is easier for DS users to grasp than the Cloth Room appears to be for Poser users. I'm going to delete everything else I wrote and stop right here, because... well I'm going to just stop here.

My two pence... Yes, DAZ Studio has had dynamic cloth options in the past, but none of them have proven popular or easy to use, for various reasons. dForce is different in that most of the folks that have tried the beta so far have had some form of success making it work, once they get some guidance in the right direction.

Also, DAZ seems to have snuck out a new version of the beta while we weren't looking...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think that the reason many of us who use DS see it as a game changer is that it's the first time we have an official dynamics option that can use any mesh...I have both of the unofficial versions and to be honest found them lacking in options. However dforce does seem to provide quite a lot from what I've seen so far...

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Looks great!

@tparo what process are you using to add the dforce? Do you add the dforce dynamic and do you change any settings?

Thanks!

I applied the dforce dynamics by clicking on the little arrow and lines with the Simulation Tab open and selected, the dforce and Add dforce Modifier - Dynamic surface. I left the settings at default for this, I did have to use a bit of smoothing after simulation as there was a bit of poke thru. I parented the dress to G3F and just sort of maneuvered it kinda into place before posing my character then hit simulation.

I've been playing about with it since Tuesday but as I've been working I've not had enough time to really get into the ins and outs of it, had a few explosions and errors but it does seem as if its going to be pretty straightforward to use, you can add a wind gizmo from the Create menu, haven't had a chance to try that yet.
Personally I'm thrilled that we have finally got this, now anything can be draped for a better fit

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
Sounds like a version of Poser's cloth room. I wonder how many times you have to run the program to get it to look right? I have to wage war with Poser's cloth room every time I use it- going through several simulations and still not getting what I want.
Which is why I avoid it almost religiously.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I'm just hoping we aren't going to see a rush to get away from the beauifully tailored form fitting clothing with belts, buckles, etc. and just see a glut of nothing but baggy 'flowing' things just designed for draping but not really cutting edge fashion that follows current trends. I just don't want to see clothing taking a 'Project Runway' turn where everything is draped.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
3. Long garments that hit the floor will need a ground plane added to the scene or it will drape through the ground shadow. If I make anything and sell it, I will add an invisible plane prop as standard. You just have to remember to load it or it will drape into the ground and beyond.

This is so important for Iray since anything that drops below the level of your figures feet makes them look like they're floating in mid air off the ground plane. Sometimes you have to work so hard to get all your clothing and body parts level at the bottom just so the figure sits right on the ground or their feet are right on the ground. A lot of times I end up adjust ground manually which can be dicey too cuz then you might start losing part of your garment (or shoes/boots/fingers/toes) below the ground if adjusting up on Y to keep her "grounded".

Excited to have wind to make scarves, sheets, and curtains blow naturally and not through morphs.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Here is my first drape. A set of clothing I just couldn't get rigged correctly called "Future Couture" This is the long gown from the set. It's got basic rigging and that's all you really need. I applied a quick shader and then added in some metallic flakes via the shader system in DAZ Studio to add some bling. This is my Marilyn morph and one of my poses and she's wearing the Tina Skin.

First drap - Marilyn - Future Dress.jpg

I'm just hoping we aren't going to see a rush to get away from the beauifully tailored form fitting clothing with belts, buckles, etc. and just see a glut of nothing but baggy 'flowing' things just designed for draping but not really cutting edge fashion that follows current trends. I just don't want to see clothing taking a 'Project Runway' turn where everything is draped.

As I see it, the form fitting stuff isn't going over well with some people, especially when it sticks to the figure like shrink wrap.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well one issue I had with the dress above was the mesh around the breast area drooped. I'm sure there is a work around but didn't like that but one of the great things is that you have all the settings for draping in the Surfaces area where you apply textures so you just turn down the drape strength if you have your cloth with multiple surfaces, as I love to do with my clothing pieces so you have allot more control over the sections. So the bodice is turned down to 25 % and the top sleeves and collar are turned down to 13% while the skirt is full on 100%.... worked out allot better. There was a strange area in the buttocks area but it's not visible for this particular render.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
As for a plethora of drapy and puffy stuff... well I for one get sick and tired of having everything so form fitting that it may as well be a 2nd skin. You can still drape stuff but just turn down the strength and it will fit nicer but still be form fitting.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well one issue I had with the dress above was the mesh around the breast area drooped. I'm sure there is a work around but didn't like that but one of the great things is that you have all the settings for draping in the Surfaces area where you apply textures so you just turn down the drape strength if you have your cloth with multiple surfaces, as I love to do with my clothing pieces so you have allot more control over the sections. So the bodice is turned down to 25 % and the top sleeves and collar are turned down to 13% while the skirt is full on 100%.... worked out allot better. There was a strange area in the buttocks area but it's not visible for this particular render.
There's also some poke thru around the waist with the belt. That's a common problem in the Cloth room as well.