• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Shepard Robe for Dusk

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I spent about a day and half doing weight mapping, and I did get a basic weight map done, then decided I hated it :rolleyes:. Or at least it gave me a better understanding of why I prefer dynamics to conformed clothing with items that have long skirts. I learned a lot in part some things in my geometry that were making the weight mapping harder.

I ended up redoing the mesh so that it would better as a dynamic robe, because I just didn't like how it worked as conforming. Which means I'm sort of close to done. I've got a fairly nice 'plain' texture set, although oddly when I ran a cloth sim, some seems showed up that I never saw at the zero pose, so I'm going to have to look into that. As well as figure out how to nicely package everything up (and double check my other fancier texture set). But here's what I have at the moment using the Rodrigo skins cause I just got them and they are pretty (although this isn't a very high quality render).

skylab

Esteemed
Ohhhh, can't wait :) I've got folks lined up on ShareCG who are wanting more biblical stuff. I thought I would be taking a break, but they are asking for more...and this will really help. I've already decided that Luna is the baby of choice for the nativity scene...so looks like Dusk will also be making an appearance. Thank you so much for doing this!! And by the way, you're right...once you see a dynamic robe run with the settings just right, it's really hard to go back to conforming stuff, though conforming is useful for filling busy scenes. Looks great...just wanted to encourage you on the job you're doing :)

Just thought I'd ask, since I know nothing about clothing creation...can this be modified to fit Dawn as well??

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks.

I want to do some other conforming clothes. I'd like to make a pirate outfit for Dusk, for instance, which would be much better as conforming, so I'm glad I figure out how to do it.

Would you like me to send you a link when I have a version to test out?

skylab

Esteemed
Oh yes, I'd be happy to test for you...I have several versions of Poser, so I could run a sim in each...I think Dusk goes as far back as Poser Pro 2012...so I have it, PP2014 and PP11. If you want, I can post images for you to see the results for yourself...anything you need. I have a chunk of time where I'm sorta in playing and taking a break mode, so the timing is good :)

skylab

Esteemed
Works just fine in Poser Pro 11...I chose extreme poses so that you'd see how it looks. The walking pose is pretty much default settings, with the kneeling pose, I cranked up the Cloth Density to 0.0460, and the Fold Resistance to 11.000, and it seemed to work just fine. I'll try testing it in PP2014 next.

By the way, I really liked the frayed edges on the sleeves and hem...works very well :)

DUSK ROBE WALKING PP11.jpg

DUSK ROBE KNEELING PP11.jpg

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Works just fine in Poser Pro 11...I chose extreme poses so that you'd see how it looks. The walking pose is pretty much default settings, with the kneeling pose, I cranked up the Cloth Density to 0.0460, and the Fold Resistance to 11.000, and it seemed to work just fine. I'll try testing it in PP2014 next.

Thanks for testing this for me. It looks like I have quite gotten rid of the seem on the front, I don't really mind the ones on the side, because that is where the robe would be sown together. I may have to adjust the textures a little more.

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, here's Poser Pro 2014...I don't know if the dark line in the front above the knee is a mesh issue or a texture issue...but I put it under bright lights so you could see...otherwise the robe itself is doing just fine :)

pp2014 dusk kneel2 robe.jpg

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
By the way, I really liked the frayed edges on the sleeves and hem...works very well :)

Meant to say thanks on this earlier. It took me meany tries to make a transparency map that looked like I wanted. Glad you like it too.

Okay, here's Poser Pro 2014...I don't know if the dark line in the front above the knee is a mesh issue or a texture issue...but I put it under bright lights so you could see...otherwise the robe itself is doing just fine :)

So I tried to make a pose similar to the one you had with the black line. I was able to recreate something similar, in this case it was because the robe was folding and casting shadows, I'm not sure if that was what was happening for you however.

At least in my case it's a case of where cloth dynamics fail a little, because to actually kneel down in a robe like this, you would need to pull it up a little just above the knees. It's still folding up a little there, just not the way it quite would in real life. Which brings me to an interesting experiment I'm going to try. I've never really done much with choreographed groups in the cloth room, but I know how they should work. I'm wondering if I could add a couple choreographed groups to mimic lifting the robe slightly?

skylab

Esteemed
Now I don't know anything about choreographed groups, but I remember asking about it in our chat thread...it just wasn't the answer I was looking for so it wasn't addressed.

By the way, I'm using Dusk Everyday Poses, just selecting those to speed up the results for you, so if you have those in your runtime, that's what I'm using.

I'm game to try anything, just talk me through it if there's something I need to try doing :)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Now I don't know anything about choreographed groups, but I remember asking about it in our chat thread...it just wasn't the answer I was looking for so it wasn't addressed.

By the way, I'm using Dusk Everyday Poses, just selecting those to speed up the results for you, so if you have those in your runtime, that's what I'm using.

I'm game to try anything, just talk me through it if there's something I need to try doing :)

So I was reading up on choreographed groups and there's not really a good way to do what I was imagining after all. It turns out you have to have a control prop that the cloth is parented to, and I think this would cause too many issues.

As for the poses, I thought I had the everyday poses, but I actually only have the ones that came with Dusk, not the separate set, which I'll probably get at some point. So the ones I have don't have kneeling.

skylab

Esteemed
Also, I think I found the threshold that caused my PP11 to act up...when I did the first kneeling pose, I had the cloth density set at 0.0500, and it gave the same error of my workstation as before, the robe jumped back to zero position at frame 30. So I started over with a new scene file, and backed off the density to 0.0450 and it proceeded to sim and render fine.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Also, I think I found the threshold that caused my PP11 to act up...when I did the first kneeling pose, I had the cloth density set at 0.0500, and it gave the same error of my workstation as before, the robe jumped back to zero position at frame 30. So I started over with a new scene file, and backed off the density to 0.0450 and it proceeded to sim and render fine.

Glad you figured out what was causing your issues. Probably what's happening is if you make the cloth thick enough it intersects too much with the figure. Why it makes it looks like the simulation has run I don't know, instead of just failing.

By the way. Could you send me a picture of the robe with the other texture in that kneeling position. I think the stripes would help me figure out what happened there.

I do like the tattered/worn look to this. The frayed edges are a VERY nice touch.

Thanks. I have to say it was skylab that gave me the idea because she thought the trim I was working on was too fancy. That gave me an idea to use the trim material zone for something else. So there is a fancy texture set with nice trim but then I used that area to make the frayed look with the transparency map for the trim for the other texture. It was a nice way to make it more versatile.

skylab

Esteemed
I'm just getting up, had a late night, so I'm back with the program now :) I'll get those other textures run for you first thing.

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, here's the first standing pose renders from Poser Pro 11. This is very nice, by the way...rich...would make a good merchant, tax collector, or rich man's outfit. Is there a way to have the dark as an option on the trim...it's hard for me to imagine what would look good, but I'm thinking that might would really be a striking option as well.

pp2012 dusk standing robe fancy.jpg

pp2012 dusk standing robe2 fancy.jpg

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Okay, here's the first standing pose renders from Poser Pro 11. This is very nice, by the way...rich...would make a good merchant, tax collector, or rich man's outfit. Is there a way to have the dark as an option on the trim...it's hard for me to imagine what would look good, but I'm thinking that might would really be a striking option as well.

Do you mean a darker trim? Or to have the trim be the same patter as the rest of the robe?