• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ubuntu and blender

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I have an Ubuntu notebook that I want to put blender on. What do I need to know other than how to install on Ubuntu? Also how do I install blender on Ubuntu

Lobo3433

Admirable
Once you have Ubuntu installed your might find that Blender is already installed as a default graphic app. But if it is not you can install it thru Ubuntu PPA which is it's software manger or and think this is usually the preferred method is to download the Blender from Blender.org and for OS select the Linux version. This way you have the latest version I think sometimes the PPA are a version behind that has been my experience in the past

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Shoot. It's been a while, so I don't remember what, but there are dependencies you need, even for vanilla Blender. They aren't a big deal, but with each new install I tend to forget, install Blender, have it fail silently, then have to launch Blender from the command line to see the errors (which is, by the way, the most basic way to troubleshoot an app that's acting wonky- it just gives errors a place to write out to).

I can look it up if you tell me your version of Ubuntu, but if you want it from the original sources you could do the same yourself. Just Google "install blender ubuntu x.xx" and I'm pretty sure you'll find step-by-step instructions.

This seems like the best repository:
Blender : Thomas Schiex

Robynsveil

Admirable
While I use Mint instead of Ubuntu, I'm sure the principle should be roughly the same. I basically download a build from the download site, un-archive to my home folder, rename the un-archived folder to the app_version#, like, say: "blender279b"... and then launch Blender in Terminal:

cd ./blender279b
./blender

This allows me to view issues (as in: Python errors) in my script in terminal as well as any other pertinent messages Blender may have for me.

Now, with 2.8, I did run into some issues using this approach. I'm beginning to think KobaltKween has her finger on the pulse of what I saw in terminal... dependency issues. I won't hijack the thread but yeah, it is worth starting Blender from the CLI: all sorts of information is revealed.