• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Trouble with Fit-Room Helpers

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So first off let me just say how much I love @Lyrra Madril fit room helpers for converting stuff to Dusk and Dawn. But something strange happened this morning, and I'm don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong, something strange in Poser, or something else entirely.

So yesterday I began converting over an outfit from V4 to Dawn called Night Watcher. Everything went through fabulously and so I started working on the character itself (morphing the face, adding hair, and finally starting to play with poses).

I save the scene and closed Poser because I need to do some other things. This morning I reopened Poser, opened the scene again, and it did not look good at all. The outfit had gone very wonky. The geometry was exploding all over the place, and nothing seemed to be placed correctly. Luckily as I was doing the conversion yesterday, I had saved each part of the outfit. So I deleted all the parts and reloaded the saved versions from my library. Here's what I got when I first opened the scene on the left, and then after I reloaded the figure on the right:

So I clearly missed something on the pants when I did the conversion there, because it was doing the same thing both before and after I reloaded. The boots are individual figures, not a set, so I got one of them completely right, but the other one seems to be off in the same way as the pants, and I have no idea what's going on with the top.

Any one have any ideas? Mostly with the top and why the geometry suddenly went all jaggedy and one arm exploded.

It's also interesting with the one boot the saved badly, because it looks almost like it's the v4 boot. I say that because of the position of the foot, which looks like v4's 'high heel' foot. But that's strange because if I had deleted the wrong one from the scene (basically kept the original and deleted the Dawn refit I'd created, I would have expected that I would have saved the wrong one to the library as well, but when I reloaded it, it was fine.

Any thoughts?

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Hi!
I'll be the first to tell you its really easy to goof a step in the process, I know I do, and I wrote the process. But , if the clothing was made oddly, it can give you some odd issues. Also, there is a common issue with v4 lower body clothing - pants and boots, which has a 2 second fix. If you use DAZ's v4 donor or v4 to make the clothing it brings over the IK chain which in v4 (and the DAZ donor) by default is turned on. So when you make clothing with this source file it remembers the IK being on and scrunches, very ugly.

Your fix: select the clothing item, zero all rotations and then in the figure menu, memorize its current (zeroed) state. Now save that back into your library. From now on your clothing ought to fit the way it should. I thought I mentioned that in the PDF tutorial, but it is such a common issue I may have forgotten.

This is one of the reasons I use a totally clean donor file to make clothing, if the donor has morph channels, IK chains and who knows what all, this junk can cause issues down the line. As you just noticed :) Unfortunately since DAZ said 'this is the donor file' everyone uses it and causes themselves trouble. *sigh*

Okay that was the easy bit.

Now I haven't had it explode the way you showed in the first image. That looks a lot like you have the original v4 clothing applied to Dawn. Is it possible you forget to save before exiting yesterday? or you had an older version of the file? It looks like a mismatched rigging issue, which makes me think you somehow had a nonconverted version saved somehow.

Now. there is another weirdo issue you may have invoked. Poser is, at its heart, kinda dumb. If you have a file that wants pants.obj and you have several pants.obj, poser will grab the first one it finds, even if its completely wrong, and go with that. Which can lead to some amazingly strange effects as you can imagine. Random file loading, very confusing!

So for this reason all stores ask vendors to give all file unique names, like v4_NW_Pants.obj The chance of another file named that are fairly low. When you saved your new Dawn versions of this clothing did you give it a new name? or the same name as the v4 clothing?

Let me know if you got things sorted out!

Lyrra

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So first off thanks for the info on the IK chain thing. Not what was happening here, but I have a lot of v4 clothes, so I can see running into it later.

Now I haven't had it explode the way you showed in the first image. That looks a lot like you have the original v4 clothing applied to Dawn. Is it possible you forget to save before exiting yesterday? or you had an older version of the file? It looks like a mismatched rigging issue, which makes me think you somehow had a nonconverted version saved somehow.

You know, that might be what happened. The crazy thing to me is that everything looked good when I saved the scene, and then didn't when I reopened.

Now. there is another weirdo issue you may have invoked. Poser is, at its heart, kinda dumb. If you have a file that wants pants.obj and you have several pants.obj, poser will grab the first one it finds, even if its completely wrong, and go with that. Which can lead to some amazingly strange effects as you can imagine. Random file loading, very confusing!

That's a good point, but not what was happening here, I actually went and checked and the geometry files do have unique names and aren't just pants.obj.

I may have to chalk this up to just one of the strange things Poser dose from time to time. Luckily after going through and converting some of the stuff again, the file is saving and reopening just fine. So I'm sure I did something funny, but who knows what. At least I have some good things to look out for now.

unreal

Noteworthy
Long time, came across this looking for something fitting room, but unrelated.

I recently had something similar happen. If I turned OFF subd, the conformed resulting mesh was fine. If I had it turned on (any level over 0) *AND* I rotated hips, then some vertexes exploded. I re-did the entire process of fitting, with subd turned off for goal and object. This time, no problems with vertexes exploding. Possibly coincidence and the second time didn't produce the same ghost in the machine? Or maybe somehow subd in the goals and objects confused some calculation during the fitting process? And it only became apparent when subd was back on in the resulting object?