• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Tip Chit Chat....

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I wouldn't go above 2 and leave preview on zero or maybe change it when you want to check out the smoothness, the preview subd'd makes the programme slow down and I don't think above 2 is needed for rendering, it usually warns you above 2 anyway.

edit to add- odd thing happened when i posted this, i got a red lined box come up saying it needs moderator approval?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think there have been some changes...there is a new note at the top of the forum. And I'm now a community volunteer...very cool and contributing artist.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes. For Dawn, 1 is generally enough.

For other things, you might want to go up to 2.

If you change the Document Display Style from textured to wireframe you can see the polys. From what I understand, you don't generally want the poly size of clothing to be smaller than the poly size of the figure.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've learned a lot since getting back to Poser with version 9 two years ago, after a looooong absence while using DS 2, 3A, and 4.0P.

Now I'm working with my first ever Pro version of Poser, and learning something new every day. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I am having problems with dynamics though in Poser Pro 11. If I move the camera after running the simulation, it resets the simulation.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've never moved a camera after a simulation, but so far I'm still in learning mode, so haven't really set up a full scene yet with any dynamic clothes in it.

I'm assuming you never had this problem in PP 2014.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Nope. Never did. I set up enough of the scene before doing the simulation, but don't actually complete the scene until I'm done simulating. Once I'm done the simulation, I rotate the camera around to check the back and sides of the clothing to see if everything simulated right.

Once I'm happy with the simulation, I add the other elements to the scene and finalize the camera views.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Moving a bunch of posts from the Dawn Render Thread so we can keep that as...A Dawn Render thread ;).

But there was info and tips here that we didn't want you to lose.. hope this is ok for you all :)

Thanks!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Absolutely! When I first saw this I thought it was something I had missed, but then started reading it and realized I had seen them all before.

Good idea Alisa, thanks. :)

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Very cool Satira...I'm currently playing in Poser and trying to work out how to render which I'm finding very frustrating.
View attachment 75

Edited to ask...how do I get the hair to look nicer in Poser? I know it's me not the hair...
I think it is the hair in this case. More specifically the large eyelashes. Try adjusting this if the morph has been transferred.

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
The main thing with Poser is..... find good lights. I always use these for my renders:-

RenderStudio P8-2014 Modular 8 - HDR-Lighting FX

RenderStudio P8-2014 Modular 9 - HDR-Lighting FX 2

Another thing that people either like or dislike is having Gamma Correction on. I normally switch it off, just my preference, that's all.

Here is the mid length hair in a render using the lights and gamma correction off.

All the best.

Richard

Mid Length Hair 001.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have both those light sets in my wishlist, and may get them before their Annual Sale is over.

I also found a nice set of lights while beta testing some textures for one of our CAs last week, and they're part of Fabiana's MildBoreal Lights at Renderosity. There's 4 groups, 2 with depth shadows and 2 with raytraced shadows, one being with AO and one without AO. The first light in each group is called Develop Lights, and I'm thinking those are the lights Fabi uses while in production mode for her products.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think it is the hair in this case. More specifically the large eyelashes. Try adjusting this if the morph has been transferred.

thanks Paul...that is a good thought to try. I didn't think of that...it could just be my Diva morph though. I'll have another play as soon as I finish work at the end of this week.

The main thing with Poser is..... find good lights. I always use these for my renders:-

RenderStudio P8-2014 Modular 8 - HDR-Lighting FX

RenderStudio P8-2014 Modular 9 - HDR-Lighting FX 2

Another thing that people either like or dislike is having Gamma Correction on. I normally switch it off, just my preference, that's all.

Here is the mid length hair in a render using the lights and gamma correction off.

All the best.

Richard

View attachment 465
Thanks Richard...

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Here we go with a render of the Developer light from the MildBoreal Lights set. Med Skin and SSS Eye options used.

Poser Pro 11, using my HDRFX light settings in Firefly.

All the best.

Richard

Dawn Developer Light 001.jpg