• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Hornet3d

Wise
Weather in the UK has changed again after a few days of sun. Certainly not cold but the cooling breeze means walking around in just a shirt or blouse is only for the brave and heavy rain showers can happen with very short notice. Managed to do a little gardening yesterday but had much more extensive plans which were dashed early morning after a phone call from the in laws which meant we had to provide taxi service to the doctors again. Really don't mind doing it but I have never been good at handling sudden changes in plans, still I consoled myself on having a spending purge for some Poser content much of which was on sale. Shouldn't have really because I have already treated myself to a new office chair this month, oh well, it is only money.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You're mother's going to be staying in a tent? Oasis looks nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to live in a tent.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I agree. I stayed in a tent once. I was in the boy scouts. Now I stay in a timeshare in New Hampshire. ;)

Dana

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Growing up, we spent every vacation camping on the Oregon Coast, in a tent. Well, except for a few when we drove cross state to Huntington, Oregon, to visit my dad's family. I most remember one year because it was so hot, they had the doors and windows open, so that night as we slept in sleeping bags on the floor in the living room, we were visited by all kinds of bugs. BEEGG Grasshoppers no less! It was far less traumatic sleeping in a tent.

As an adult, we also spent most vacations in tents. We eventually bought a truck with a camper, which was far more enjoyable. But after a couple years, we traded that in and were back to sleeping in tents.

I also spent a few nights in the Denver area camping with some friends. First time I'd ever slept alone in a tent. It was rather scary actually. Especially, the first night when we got to the campsite after dark, and all night I heard animal(s) moving around. I have a rather irrational fear of bears and big cats. Most likely it was a dog, but I was absolutely certain it was a bear that was going to slash its way into my tent. (I do NOT watch slasher films because I do not need any help imagining a psycho dude/animal terrorizing a camp site)

When the choice is no vacation or tent camping, it's kinda a no brainer. Tent camping it is!

There are a few things that make tent camping a bit more tolerable. Like ... a good cot or pads under the sleeping bag, nice comfy chairs for sitting around the campfire, and ... perhaps most important ... being as near as possible to the rest rooms!

McGyver

Energetic
I most remember one year because it was so hot, they had the doors and windows open, so that night as we slept in sleeping bags on the floor in the living room, we were visited by all kinds of bugs. BEEGG Grasshoppers no less! It was far less traumatic sleeping in a tent.

From newsreels and other popular media, I’ve concluded that during the 50s, giant radioactive insects were quite a problem... apparently Beeeegg grasshoppers were included in this issue too.

...Perhaps some of them survived into later decades and were the ones that were assaulting you on your camping trips... I know most of NYC’s giant mutant cockroaches are still alive and well... in fact one still sends me Christmas cards.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Most absolutely! It probably wouldn't have been so frightening if we'd arrived before it was dark so I could have seen the area. But it was pretty much pitch black and deathly quiet when we arrived, and I had absolutely no idea if there were campsites and people around us. Turned out, there were. The campsites were practically on top of one another.

Miss B

CV-BEE
:D
She likes camping.
I know, but when I think of camping, I think of teenagers to 20 somethings with their parents or friends. I don't think of "older" folks going camping. Then again, if you've done it all your life, then you're used to it, so would want to do it no matter your age.

I do have to say Oasis looks nice. I liked that second image on their site of the bench between 2 trees facing a lake/pond. I can see me taking a lot of photos in an area like that.

Miss B

CV-BEE
...Perhaps some of them survived into later decades and were the ones that were assaulting you on your camping trips... I know most of NYC’s giant mutant cockroaches are still alive and well... in fact one still sends me Christmas cards.
:rofl: Didn't you know NYC's cockroaches are prehistoric? :D

According to Wikipedia, "The cockroaches are an ancient group, dating back at least as far as the Carboniferous period, some 320 million years ago."

McGyver

Energetic
I still go camping... my wife calls it “getting drunk with the raccoons and falling asleep in the woods in the back”, but that’s a matter of perspective... sometimes the raccoons throw a tarp over me, so that’s kinda like a tent...