• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Well I got the dishes done and even tumbled through a shower, now working on some product updates before bed

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Thanks Terre. I am about to head off for the night, got the updates wrapped up so tomorrow's task is sorting out some poses that are misbehaving in DS in between school run, washing and shopping. Man I am worn out just thinking about it lol.
'night all.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Hello from Wednesday and the first day of winter! Yes, I’m talking to you all (except Dreamer) from the future again! The future is nippy, requires heating, and fluffy sheets! Pleased the screaming southerly has dropped and won’t keep me awake with clattering halyards and rigging. Farewell from the future my friends :inverted:

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Morning yes it is cold, had to find the pj's last night. Lets see if we can hold out another month before caving and turning on the heaters

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've been bundling up to sleep the past few nights, and we're heading into summer, so really strange.

Terre

Renowned
Miss B, you and Dana are having the kind of temp fluctuations I'm used to. That may be normal here but it isn't there.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I know, the problem here in NYC is, there's a local law that regulates when we get heat, and unfortunately it's getting to the point temps-wise where we're not getting it any more unless it drops low enough, but it's not doing that, especially at night. We have this every Fall, September into October before the heat goes on, and in the Spring, April into May after the heat gets turned off. If the weather were to drop very low because of some storm and high winds, then we'll get it, but otherwise no, and that's what makes it hard to sleep at night without bundling up.

This week's weather is supposed to get up into the 60s, so it won't drop quite as low at night, so we'll see how it goes.

Lorraine

Afternoon all.

The story of a solar panel installation:
I decided today to put the spare 95w panel into the array in an attempt to generate enough from the three to run my desktop. I gather tools: crimper, sharp knife and connectors and climb up on the roof. First setback, I’d cut the wires too short for the connectors when I changed panels. Back downstairs, find more wire, different connectors, flat screwdriver to open connecting box. Do that, need a Phillips screwdriver to remove old connectors, back downstairs. Strip the wire, stick in connector, crimp, and that’s a no...NOW I remember why I’d been putting this off, I can’t squeeze crimper hard enough to squash it. Back downstairs, find lead ingot and hammer. Redo the connector, bashing it hard enough to break rocks, “take that!”, repeat with positive, connect wires to panel, put lid back on, tighten seals, done. Now the other end of wire. These need a special connector and after much faffing and cursing are connected. Check voltage, 21.1, all good. Install panel into array. Check voltage at regulator, WHAT! IT’S GONE DOWN?!!! Remove panel, reconnect others, check voltage, normal. Take special connectors off, one of the wires comes out and leaves part jammed in hole. Swearing. Lorraine retires defeated.

But I’m going to see Endgame with Shannon tonight so it’s not all bad.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Geeze, that's what I call a full day's work. Maybe you can get Shannon to help you with connecting up the solar panel tomorrow. Well, you're tomorrow. ;)

DanaTA

Distinguished
I try to check all parts of a job to be sure I have all the tools I need before I start. Sometimes, I miss something. But sometimes I have everything I need except luck. Something doesn't work, or I can't work. I'm not a handy man, just someone who has to do things. But when you put something together and things are worse after the "fix", it's very frustrating!

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
Afternoon all.

The story of a solar panel installation:
I decided today to put the spare 95w panel into the array in an attempt to generate enough from the three to run my desktop. I gather tools: crimper, sharp knife and connectors and climb up on the roof. First setback, I’d cut the wires too short for the connectors when I changed panels. Back downstairs, find more wire, different connectors, flat screwdriver to open connecting box. Do that, need a Phillips screwdriver to remove old connectors, back downstairs. Strip the wire, stick in connector, crimp, and that’s a no...NOW I remember why I’d been putting this off, I can’t squeeze crimper hard enough to squash it. Back downstairs, find lead ingot and hammer. Redo the connector, bashing it hard enough to break rocks, “take that!”, repeat with positive, connect wires to panel, put lid back on, tighten seals, done. Now the other end of wire. These need a special connector and after much faffing and cursing are connected. Check voltage, 21.1, all good. Install panel into array. Check voltage at regulator, WHAT! IT’S GONE DOWN?!!! Remove panel, reconnect others, check voltage, normal. Take special connectors off, one of the wires comes out and leaves part jammed in hole. Swearing. Lorraine retires defeated.

But I’m going to see Endgame with Shannon tonight so it’s not all bad.

You seem to have had a day like mine. My attempt was to wire in a light sensor to the pond lights so they go on at dusk and off at dawn. Open up the sensor, oh no it has one of those new push button connectors. Spent and age trying to get them to grip the wire but when I finally manage it does not work. Retrace the wiring that I did many moons ago and find my mistake, I cut the wrong wire and I an trying to run the sensor on the 6v feed to the lamps not 240 volts. OK, so I have a spare waterproof connector so I reconnect the feed to the lamps and now try the 240v input. Yet another struggle with getting the connector to grip the wire. After a lot so swearing get to a point where I think I have manged it but it still will not work. Time to get the voltmeter out but where can I test, unlike the old screw connections there is no way to get the probe into the connector. In attempting to push it into the connector the rubber grommet now pulls from the hole therefore defeating the waterproof nature. After a major struggle I get the grommet refitted and then notice the wires have pull from the connection block.

Two hours later, throw sensor in the bin and order some submersible solar lights just need to place the solar panel and the automatic dawn to dusk is an included feature.

It is times like this I hate technology, what was the problem with the screw connection blocks that all these weird new tech connections blocks are trying to overcome. OK I know the new ones are are tool less but that is only a benefit if they work.

Lorraine

I'm not a handy man, just someone who has to do things.

‘Someone who has to do things’ that’s me too! We need a better name.

You seem to have had a day like mine. My attempt was to wire in a light sensor to the pond lights so they go on at dusk and off at dawn. Open up the sensor, oh no it has one of those new push button connectors. Spent and age trying to get them to grip the wire but when I finally manage it does not work. Retrace the wiring that I did many moons ago and find my mistake, I cut the wrong wire and I an trying to run the sensor on the 6v feed to the lamps not 240 volts. OK, so I have a spare waterproof connector so I reconnect the feed to the lamps and now try the 240v input. Yet another struggle with getting the connector to grip the wire. After a lot so swearing get to a point where I think I have manged it but it still will not work. Time to get the voltmeter out but where can I test, unlike the old screw connections there is no way to get the probe into the connector. In attempting to push it into the connector the rubber grommet now pulls from the hole therefore defeating the waterproof nature. After a major struggle I get the grommet refitted and then notice the wires have pull from the connection block.

Two hours later, throw sensor in the bin and order some submersible solar lights just need to place the solar panel and the automatic dawn to dusk is an included feature.

It is times like this I hate technology, what was the problem with the screw connection blocks that all these weird new tech connections blocks are trying to overcome. OK I know the new ones are are tool less but that is only a benefit if they work.

I feels for you, Hornet, I really do. And yes, progress is only progress IF IT MAKES THINGS BETTER! Otherwise it’s retrograde. I have this conversation with people a lot “but you can’t fight progress!” “You bloody well can when it’s NOT!” Most things called ‘progress’ are things designed to make someone money and degrade something else.

Lorraine

As Dreamer said, a nice sunny day but bloody cold! My sister tells me they had their first frost yesterday. I KNEW there was a reason I don’t live in the Waikato! Big changes in her and her hubby’s lives; they’ve sold their farm and moved into town after 39 years. Bittersweet farewell was said yesterday and Jeff had his last photo taken in farmer gear standing in the race of what used to be his farm. No regrets but some sadness. First purchase for their new house? A spa pool to replace the one left behind...that’s priorities for you ;)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I think I might be adding cupasoups to the shopping list next week.
Dang I would love a spa pool, so good for stiff sore joints :)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
This weather really is too much. Dinner was taken on the beach across from the house today. Salad with fresh prawns caught in Morecambe Bay earlier in the day. Light breeze from the south but nice and snug behind the windbreak. So much so that Lucy decided to take a snooze after dinner while I read on my Kindle. What a life! :rolleyes:

THINKS! It might be a good idea to duck about now! END OF THINKS!