• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Stable

eclark1894

Visionary
Round hay bale or rectangular hay bale?

Interesting little aside. Today I found out something rather interesting. I've never been to a horse riding school or farm, so I looked one up near me. Just for the record, I live in North Carolina, so while I'm not in the country, it's all around me. Anyway, I was looking up nearby horse stables, thinking i could go out and take a quick peek at the barns and such, maybe take a few pics, or ask a few questions. A name popped out at me that sounded rather familiar. Turns out it was one of the women who works at the same place I do. She's an instructor trainer. Was gonna track her down, then decided against it for a couple of reasons, but mostly, I didn't want to make her self-conscious about people tracking her down on the internet. Watch that ladies and gents. Not everybody thinks like I do.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd go rectangular hay bale (as they are more common for stables, I think the round one is more for the pasture).

If a riding school isn't far from you that would be a great opportunity to go check it out. If you say what its for they would most likely be happy to show you around or tell you to go away, nothing really to loose :D

eclark1894

Visionary
Took me all night to make a simple bale of hay. I could have finished sooner, but hay bales aren't nice neat and smooth, so there had to be straw sticking out of the sides all over. Gotta go to be now, I have to get up in four hours.

hay bale.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmm, for soe reaon I can't import this bale into Poser intact. all I get is a few straws which is weird. If anything I would think the straws would be the last thing i would be able to import. This may require another approach.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Wow - it looks great - hope you can get it into Poser!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Earl, from your screenshot, it looks like you're working with two layers. Can I assume the bale is on the first layer, and the straw strands are on the second layer?

If so, you should save to a new file, just so you can preserve what you have so far, and then select what's on layer 2, and move it (M) to layer 1. Then I think it'll all export as a single OBJ when you select it all.

If it's already all on the same layer, just make sure you have everything selected when you go to export. That's all that should be needed.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, figured it out. The hay bale DID import into Poser. I just didn't see it because it was under the ground plane.

hay bale.png

Still need to do something about those floating straws though.:whistling:

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
One thing about hay bales ( at least the ones here in Australia) . ( Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly..I'm still half asleep here :)) Hay bales are normally more "brick shaped" - and the string tying them together runs length-wise on the bales - the opposite to what you've shown in the render above. Imagine the bale you've shown..if you try to pick it up, it's going to break apart in the middle. I think your bale would look more realistic if it was roughly half as long again

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, in my defense, I have seen them tied both ways, but I will agree, that lengthwise seems to be the most common.

bale.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Freyfaxi means like this:

It depends on the way the straw/hay is going, the string goes across the grain to hold it, which is usually like this :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's a particle array, Miss B. But you might be right. Let me check.
Ahhh, I was wondering how you created them.

Okay, figured it out. The hay bale DID import into Poser. I just didn't see it because it was under the ground plane.

Still need to do something about those floating straws though.:whistling:
AHA!! I sometimes wonder if I should have the Ground plane invisible until I have everything in the scene. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
I want to include some loose hay to scatter around so they won't all look like straw bricks. Just have to figure out the best way to do that.