• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Stable

eclark1894

Visionary
I think companies like DAZ 3D came up with the idea of having separate maps to keep folks heads from exploding. So the true UV is that combined mess, the separate maps are just each body section to keep things easier to deal with. I think that's why it's smart for Earl to have increased his maps to something larger to get as much detail out of them as possible, esp if he put all the barn parts on one map. If he wants the highest resolution for the barn then he may want to consider stacking them after he can creates the material zones and select those and make separate maps for texturing. One of the reasons companies like DAZ3D and Hivewire number their sections.... so Face, Ears and Lips are all numbered together and that's the UV Texture map that they are assigned to, ect......
I don't now why I missed this earlier, but I have split up the maps. The interior is on one map and the exterior is on another. The resolution is 4096 x 4096.

eclark1894

Visionary
Up all night fixing mistakes. Even some that didn't become apparent until I fixed others first. Right now, making some changes on the roof.

eclark1894

Visionary
Still learning as I go along Richard. Here's render of the last "fixed" version of the stables exterior. Displacement maps added, but I dialed it back quite a bit. There's a very faint area where the displacement didn't work. There was another problem with the mesh there. Also the grain on the white Trim on the roof siding is going the wrong way. That's texture problem. Working on it. Finally the roof was too even. Most roofs have a little shingle overhang. and a little thickness.

barn5.png

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Looks better. Have you tried this site out for internal map creation:

NormalMap-Online

Just drag your main diffuse map over to the left panel, it will refresh and you will now have 4 tabs, Normal Map, Displacement, AO and Specular (which I also use as a Bump map). It's quite a nice online freebie!

eclark1894

Visionary
I have a confession to make to you people. I basically finished the stable a couple of weeks ago. As usual, it's the small nitpicky things that slow me down and bring me to a stand still. That includes Dawn's house. 99% of the time it comes down to the texturing or UV mapping that frustrates me so much that the model becomes much more of a hassle than fun to work on.

Earl's gotta get his groove back.:(

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, when I was getting started UV's were the bane of my existence. I've taken to joining blogs that have allot of pictures for things like wood, cloth, ground and sky needs. Some I can replicate pretty well with some of the filters in Photoshop. Allot of the time I just Google what I need click on the Images tab and scroll away until I find something I can use. If I can find copyright info I look at that to make sure it's cool and then download and run it through Paint Shop Pro's tile tool which has allot of options to make things really great.

red-flowers-1344068722STc.jpg
ScreenHunter_234 Aug. 07 10.57.jpg

Lianam

Eager
I have a confession to make to you people. I basically finished the stable a couple of weeks ago. As usual, it's the small nitpicky things that slow me down and bring me to a stand still. That includes Dawn's house. 99% of the time it comes down to the texturing or UV mapping that frustrates me so much that the model becomes much more of a hassle than fun to work on.

Earl's gotta get his groove back.:(

I can relate to this. Keep up the good work Earl it is coming along. :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Thanks for being understanding, Lianam. I'm still working on the stable, the house, the gun, even Dawn's purse. Although I'm rethinking that lid and how to close it. I might see what I can do with a zipper there to open and close the purse.:)

jecnodde

Admirable
Looking good so far.

I have some suggestions:

*Windows....I mean here in Sweden there is a law that all animals indoor shall have windows. Hens, cows, pigs, horses, dogs and cat - there must be a window.
*Outside the boxes, some hooks and rings. The rings to tie the horses and the hooks for hanging things like halter, bridle, leads.
*Maybe some boxes for keeping the brushes and other small things.
*Nameplates and feeding information

I love that the building is soilid. Many other stable on the market allways makes me think: "ok but what about winter time?" Most animals will stand the cold, but when you working with horses (or other animals) you often use your hands and big gloves gets in the way. And I LOVE that you have rock floor(ground) I have never been in a barn/stable that animals lives in with wooden floor. Ammonia will eat wood in no time.

Nice work anyway - your stable is one of those that looks best and most relistic :D

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Welcome, jecnodde!

Earl, hope you get your groove back soon!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have some suggestions:

*Windows....I mean here in Sweden there is a law that all animals indoor shall have windows. Hens, cows, pigs, horses, dogs and cat - there must be a window.
*Outside the boxes, some hooks and rings. The rings to tie the horses and the hooks for hanging things like halter, bridle, leads.
*Maybe some boxes for keeping the brushes and other small things.
*Nameplates and feeding information
Excellent suggestions jecnodde. :)

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I was all set to make a barn when CWRW pointed me to this thread.

Your barn looks great, Earl!!

I could make a few horsie things, if you weren't planning on making them. Like an outdoor arena, round pen, fenced pasture, etc.

Let me know if there's anything else I can put in an add-on pack. :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Hi Beth, if you want to make a barn, please don't hold off on my account. I'm notoriously unreliable in finishing these things off. Usually, it's the UV mapping and Texturing that stops me. Also, this was mainly going to me just prop based for Poser, but I was also trying to see if I could convert everything to DS.