• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Great...just thought I'd ask :)

I finally found a hinged box...on Gerald Day's site...it's the 11th model down on the downloads page, called Beautiful Old Box. It can be scaled (select the base), and you can even reduce the x-width, so that it's more square....and I used one of the Poser right hands.

THING-box.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
The freebie box, with new mats. Need to figure out what to do about the front transparency part. Superfly renders take a long time, so I fell off to sleep :/

THING-BOX-superfly.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, that stuff is over my head...I've never gotten how transparency works like that...I understand transparency settings to make things look like glass, but I have trouble getting it when dealing with the type of transparency that's on the box. It's an older model, so the box won't render well for close-ups without some tweaking.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Sure enough, there's Grandpa....haha! Good one :)

Well, I've got to grab some dinner, and see if my kitchen Win10 is still stuck in endless booting. If it's still messed up, I'll have to crank up the Win7 to keep track of the forum. Later :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
I'm back...on the kitchen Win7....so that means my Win10 surfer must be trashed. I'll have to think through if there's any way to salvage it, since dealing with Win10 is a totally different animal. Not sure if I can access some sort of boot restore. I can't believe Microsoft is putting their customers in this position...sounds like a bunch of clueless kids making the technical decisions...they may as well hand over their future business to Apple, or other operating systems. Oh well, I paid rock bottom price for that drive, just in case....I just hoped that "just in case" would not happen. I don't have the patience to fool with it now...I'll just leave it for now....haven't had my meds for the day yet, so don't need the aggravation.

I'll take Linda's word, and enjoy my dinner instead :)

o_O

Linda B

Extraordinary
Husband's laptop Win10 is messed up too. Can't update it since it fails everytime.

I played around with the box and I think the only way to fix it is have someone model the keyhole.

Off to bed for an extra early morning.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow, your laptop is another update casualty...I can't believe this. This reminds me of when Malwarebytes wiped out whole offices full of computers back in 2013 I think the year was., including my new workstation at the time that actually had a graphics card on it. I think the problem has to do with the low system resources but I'm not going to test it out with my larger system. The kitchen surfer was a refurbished drive, around $175, and only had a 1T drive with 8 gig of ram. I think it's getting overwhelmed trying to process all that excessive data at one time. My main workstation has 16 gig of ram and a 2T drive, and a small graphics card, so it does not choke as badly during updates, except when the large "feature updates" land on it. All of this is supposed to be for security purposes, to keep computers updated with the latest features....but what good is the big dog and pony show on a computer that has been trashed and won't even boot. I don't trust it with my main workstation any more...no way would I trust it. And there goes one of my Poser Pro 11 licenses, it went down with the ship. Their "progress", and all who follow their business model, is on self-destruct.

Sweet dreams Linda :sleep:

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for letting us know deanna, and I hope she will be back online soon. Seems we're having a round of pc problems.

Have a good evening everyone...time for rest :sleep:

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :) Have been struggling with the same thought, not only for family members but also friends locally who don't know much about computers. Just when I thought everyone was getting over the transition to Windows 10. I'm leaving my "guinea pig" Windows 10 on in my kitchen, just to see if the twirling progress indicator is going somewhere besides nowhere. After skim reading some of the article at the link above, I can think of several issues it may be having....the leanness of ram, the smaller drive, which had about 500 gig free, the older, integrated graphics...it was a typical business system, primarily for emailing and surfing, but could also do light 3D work, like posing and searching for freebies, nicely. Apparently my initial impression of Windows 10 ended up being correct. I guess the thing to do is keep a couple of inexpensive Windows 10 systems for offline use, setting the updates on pause (I'm not sure what happens when the pause date arrives a month from now...if it can stay paused, or it forces the download), and just use the older Windows 7 systems to do light surfing. What an unexpected mess...especially, as you say, family and friends who don't care to hear that kind of news.

o_O

skylab

Esteemed
After experimenting with the original Thing freebie, first saving it as a scene file, and then importing it into Carrara (Carrara will import .duf scene files, but Hexagon will not), I was able to separate the parts of it...that is, the lid from the box and from the hand, exporting them as separate .obj files, so that it could be animated sometime. One of the Poser hands could be used... or something like a Michael model, or a Nursoda character model, with the body made invisible, could be used as Thing, allowing for some forearm to be seen...in other words, done much like my Nos-Pitterbill band animation.

THING for DAZ Studio

THING BOX with THING.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Ran across this Flames for Poser freebie...it could be called "jumping from Win7 to Win10"...haha.
I'm still chuckling over the pages and pages of things that they list that could go wrong with just the May 2019 update 1903...and having the nerve to promote it as an improvement....like doing PR card tricks. Guess it's like everything else...a lie becomes an "alternative to the truth".