• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Setting up Blender for UV Mapping

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
BTW DaremoK3, thanks for the link to D3D's UV Viewer. I'm familiar with, and have, UV Mapper Classic, but I didn't realize D3D had one as well.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Pendraia, how's it going? Still working on clothes creations?

NPR = Non Photo Render

Here are some examples:

My apologies to the admins. If I am exceeding any forum specs, please advise, scold, and adjust accordingly...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Daremok...I think that if it was too big it wouldn't upload.

I've been busy getting Diva ready for sale, but I did help rig Sanbie's cutie pie outfit for DS for her...haven't had lot of time recently as I've been so busy at work.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Okay, just want to test the images function of the new forums (since I just re-joined)...

Here is an example of my work with MD. I'm not really into fashion creation, but more for costuming my figures for use in 2D graphic novel work. They are nothing spectacular, but they suit my needs...

Those looks great! I'm curious. What sort of fabric setting are you using in MD for the armor plates in the skirt (I'm sure there's a better name for them). I've had a hard time making things that don't bend.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Pendraia:

I had a look at your Diva creation thread, and you have done some terrific work. The Sanbie outfit looks great on her. I know you are at the tail end of your project, and not sure if you have already submitted to store, but If you haven't, and would like one more texture added to any of the clothing, I would like to donate one of my tileable texture swatches for you to use if you like.

It is based off a real world fabric used with sun dresses and pillowcase dresses from my families real world business. A yellow fabric with white daisies and ladybugs. I recreated it (digitally) from scratch for my MD creations, and is sitting somewhere unused in my hundreds of tileable swatches I have created (I love creating tileable texture swatches for texture set usage, and sometimes go on a bender creating hundreds at a time [mostly due to color/sizing variations]).

I'll try to track it down (I think I know which hard drive to retrieve it from - one from several years ago), and post a mock-up render of it on a dress for you to see. If you like it, you are more then welcome to it. If not, no biggie...

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Thank you, Miss B.

I almost like how that one turned out, but it's just a tester, and I still have some tweaking to do to the render parameters (and inking tiles) before I am happy with it. I'm not really going for a sketch there (I have setups to do more of a sketch version), but more of an inked over pencil graphic novel look which emulates my hand-drawn work. I'm trying to cut out the need for hand drawing work, but I think I am still a couple years away.

And, you are welcome for the D3D software link. It's a terrific little application that most content creators might benefit using...

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Gadget Girl:

Thank you. Believe it or not, but that entire Do ( - Doh - Japanese name for base torso armor) is utilizing the second leather preset named "S_Leather_Belt_CLO_V2". It has great stiffing power without causing simulation errors I was getting with trying to have the stiffest material settings (everything at their highest settings). I would love for it to be stiffer, but the simulation engine will just go wonky with the mesh, and it ends up a crumpled mess, parts severely intersecting, or even parts shooting off into space.

This was my happy medium, and works quite well. When I do posing, it holds up nicely, and I just have to let the armor skirt (which has invisible straps holding it together - later to be replaced by actual lacing) settle a little to remove any deformations. The real trick for this to work was the combination of the preset, and the structure itself. I had to redo several times in small increments, and am utilizing smaller blocked out pieces as well as a lot of internal line settings to dictate amount of stiffness/bending needed per part.

The Do is not quite finished yet, and I plan to create the rest of the Samurai armor eventually...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That sounds great Daremok...I'm not actually doing the textures for it though Lorraine and Miss B are. It's been a bit of a community project with Sanbie creating the outfit and setting up a prop for Poser users and I rigged it in DS. I want to see if I can rig it in Poser as much as a learning experience for me as I haven't set up clothing in Poser previously...and Miss B and Lorraine are doing textures. I'm sure that they would be interested...

I meant to say earlier I the way you make the images look hand drawn...

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Okay, found it...

There are three versions; one with just flower design, and two with flowers and ladybugs (one with center dot - one without).

So, maybe not exactly daisies, but I believe they were the inspiration in drawing form... Shrunk and cropped for viewing:

Now, I'll go do a render so you can see on a dress...

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm not really going for a sketch there (I have setups to do more of a sketch version), but more of an inked over pencil graphic novel look which emulates my hand-drawn work. I'm trying to cut out the need for hand drawing work, but I think I am still a couple years away.
Right, inked, that's what I was thinking in the back of my mind, but sketch is what came out. ;)

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Finally made it back. Real life always getting in the way...

Miss B, no worries. If you see a sketch, it's all good, but if you see inked and your brain spit out sketch, then I guess I am not failing with the progress as much as I thought. I still need to composite with separately rendered line work as well.

Pendraia:

The ladies helping with your project are welcome to the tiles if they wish to create textures for the clothing. They are 512X512 tiles, but I can create one-off sheets (1024, 2048, 4096) if they need for 2D texturing. Just let me know.

Here is the render; tiled on a simple dress for a quick visual:

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Since this is about setting Blender up for UV mapping, I just wanted to throw in that if you set the UV editor window to face mode, you can then hover your mouse over a UV island and use L and Shift-L to select one or multiple islands on the map itself.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I usually have it in face mode, mostly because in vert or edge mode, you can't move anything around without getting the "twin" edges or verts into the act too, and I often have to move pieces out of the area in order to get the piece I want to work on in the middle, so I can zoom all the way in. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Cute...Ill let Lorraine know to come and have a look. Miss B is already here...
I think Lorraine will love working with that texture. It's just the type of texture she likes working with. ;) Thanks DaremoK as that does look cute on the dress you tested it on. ;)

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I usually have it in face mode, mostly because in vert or edge mode, you can't move anything around without getting the "twin" edges or verts into the act too, and I often have to move pieces out of the area in order to get the piece I want to work on in the middle, so I can zoom all the way in. ;)

I've never actually unwrapped anything myself, just manipulate pre-done UVs (for instance converting G3F's UDIMs to something that can be used in Quixel or Substance Painter). That L/Shift+L is a godsend to avoid mucking up lasso/box selection with weirdly shaped UV islands.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ahhhhh, OK. It's a good tip none-the-less. I happen to like Blender's UV Editor, and often bring in my Silo UVs to work in Blender, even though Silo has a nice UV editor as well.

I just happen to really like one of the options Blender offers for exporting UV layouts, that other UV mappers don't. I usually save out to EPS (Encapsulated Post Script) rather than PNG. The only other format it offers is SVG, and since it's been years since I've used Illustrator, or any other Vector software app, I couldn't use that, and Photoshop does recognize EPS, and it comes in nicely anti-aliased. I don't recall ever getting such nice looking maps with other UV software.