• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

S6: Dawn test

Semicharm

Eager
I've posted a few test of my S6 shaders, but I'm sure you all are wondering how about Dawn! I needed a test subject for the next beta so I figured why not. :D One thing I'd noticed is that specular in SuperFly often comes out stronger than in Firefly but it came out rather weak in this test . I'll have to look into that to see what's going on. BTW, the hair shaders are a WIP and won't be in the next release of S6.
View media item 5521View media item 5520View media item 5519View media item 5518

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Is that Dawn's original skin? I haven't really used that one before, I think SE is not as olive, more pink?

Semicharm

Eager
Nice to know Alisa, but I can't afford to update. I think the last non-freebie figures I got were from RuntimeDNA, and that's only because I worked there.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know about not being able to afford updates! (here's hoping I can save enough for Dawn 2, she'll be well worth it when she comes out!) :)

Here is a comparison for you, the first one is the Free Dawn, 2nd is Dawn SE both as she loads (no modifications) with Fabi's Warm'n'Soul lights.
Dawn SR2 and SE.jpg

Your original samples above bring her old skin to life, well done.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Like I said, I liked the one you did earlier, as it took some of the greenish cast she had. The new SE is a totally different texture so you can't really compare (and people with olive skin do have that greenish cast, just not as strong as default free Dawn). In saying that, I like the new one too :)

Semicharm

Eager
In reality though, the skin tone of both the original and SE versions are oversaturated. I noticed that some artists did that intentionally for the shaders they used, which can make things a little difficult when trying to reuse them with another shader. Generally, after the gamma correction render option was added that was no longer necessary. Overall, I think my shader handled it well. It ends up looking like a decent olive tan complexion. My "correction" didn't fair to well in Firefly, but the old renderer had issues with the shader nodes mangling saturation.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I should have mentioned my renders above were Firefly, I'd have to run both through EZSkins3 to get them to work in Superfly.

Semicharm

Eager
It was already apparent. Like I said, saturation tends to be off in firefly and varies wildly based on your render settings and lighting. Hell, even my S6 firefly renders tend to be a bit oversaturated. Trying to find the right settings in firefly is like trying to do a headstand on an exercise ball. Making a decent shader cross-compatible with firefly and superfly in't much easier. LOL