• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Redistributing Poser Dynamic Hair without the base figure - a solution

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
These would be SO rubbish without the base textures! Can you look at that nose detail???

I've just realised how similar the dog and cat meshes are... now there are differences between the way the texture lays out on the mesh, so I can't QUITE get away with using the cat design on the dog, but I've passed this doggy over to my son to use the Cat preset in defining the paws! o_O

I need to go back and see if the cat needs some more work around the tail area, as I've realised that I haven't been looking around there on these figures.

Cheers,

Cliff

doggywithlabtexture.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
OK, we've "finished" the dog (paw pads, toes, and an exit to the rear) and I've also improved the cat preset a little (some tweaking around the eyes) so at 21:42 I plan to call it a day for now.

Cheerio!

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Dodgy? Are you kidding? We don't expect perfection in WIPs!!!

This is so going to be worth it when you are done beating everything into submission!

I couldn't agree more. :)

I am SO used to "critique" meaning "pick apart things that I haven't been working on and ignore anything I've done good" that I slip up and forget that you guys here can look at what I'm showing and see the good in that rather than the bad in the stuff that isn't done yet, or that I don't have the artistry to produce. Cheers chaps!

Cliff :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We're used to seeing products in WIP stages as they're produced, so we're used to knowing when what we're seeing may not be complete yet, but can also appreciate what has been done so far. Other sites don't have WIP threads like HW does, so folks elsewhere aren't used to the method HW vendors here follow while they work on their products.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
OK, so back to writing the manual. Here's a way of showing groups, at least, for Dusk's moustache prior to saving it as a TrueHair preset - without using multiple images or an animation.

07 Saving 001.png

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Is there anyway to get that hair to lay down? Right now the dog looks like lost a fight with a cactus.

It's hard to highlight where the hair is AND blend it seamlessly with the figure it is on at the same time - but yes, it's pretty easy to get it to lay down rather than stick out ;)

My render above is using the same preset but hopefully looks less like the dog lost a fight with a cactus - or a prickly pear 'bush' (my grandmother loved picking prickly pears but could never manage to avoid the spikes!)

Cheers,

Cliff

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I've been waiting patiently for this to be ready for the store.

Oh, and welcome to the HiveWire forums Ed. :)

Ed Burke

Inspired
Thanks Miss B.
I've been lurking for a while watching this discussion...I thought Cliff could use a little moral support so I chimed in. I have a longish haired dog I would really like to create so I'm very interested in this 'fur project.'

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Thank you indeed Ed, and Miss B as usual :)

I am disappointed that I am unable to spend my full time on this - having to earn a living (as well as many other things) REALLY gets in the way!

At the moment, when I am able to work on Poser stuff, I am experimenting with materials and refining Dusk's beard and moustache presets. For example, these two renders show EXACTLY the same hair, in the same scene, using the same render engine (Firefly). The only difference is in the material being used. In one there is a Firefly-based hair material whose base (root and tip) colour is black, and the other is a non-hair material that is black on the Alternate Diffuse node. There is NO difference in length or density (or anything else) in the hair.

95% of everything I've done on TrueHair in recent weeks has been documenting how hair looks and behaves rather than working on TrueHair code, which I feel is probably very close bar perhaps up to 5 bugs that no-one has noticed yet but which will hopefully show up before I submit.

SECRET REVEAL: I am way behind. IIRC in early January I expressed the opinion that I would submit by end of Februray. Obviously, it hasn't reached that stage because I underestimated how much time I'd have to put in to documenting how this works (even though only 3 of you will likely ever see the ReadMe). But shhh - don't tell anyone that I am THAT far behind my own target!

Today's looking better in terms of distractions so far, so I'm hoping to make some progress towards refining materials and the beard, and hopefully the manual.

Cheers,

Cliff ;)

0001HairMAT.jpg

0002FlatMAT.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I can do more actual density too - though IMO this is a bit thick. My own beard personally never gets this thick:

Basically we can do anything the hair room can do. Just a lot of it is easier ;)

I'm note sure quite how we'll manage it once this thing is released, but I would LIKE to set up a "TrueHair Community" thread, where we can have questions asked about using Poser Dynamic Hair, be it TrueHair specific or materials or whatever. Apparently I have to finish the product first though :p

Cheers,

Cliff

_KinkDense.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
One problem I have with TrueHair is that I find it easier to test out ideas than to document it, or to use the standard Hair Room to test out the same concepts. I like this beard, but I'd rather return to the original moustache (I could work on it more, but other tasks demand my attention).

_Kinky.jpg