• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Now for a new Poll . . .

What do you need help with to render your best outdoor scenes for Ken's birds?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We had a tie for first place in the Poll that closed this afternoon, so now we have a Poll to choose between the two options that came in first place in the initial Poll. Please vote again by choosing one of the two options. The Poll will be open for two days.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Just to put the knowledge out there, you should only be struggling with outdoor lighting if you're trying to make it complex, like if you're doing a night scene with man-made or fantastic lighting or adding unrealistic but dramatic bits. In general, all you need is an HDRI, and maybe an infinite (or whatever your software calls it) for the sun or moon. Just make sure to treat any full HDRI image like you would a control map (like bump or normal), because true HDRI are linear, not sRGB.

Many photographers doing outdoor photos don't even use reflectors. I've watched several videos of shoots where they just use natural light.

Hornet3d

Wise
Just to put the knowledge out there, you should only be struggling with outdoor lighting if you're trying to make it complex, like if you're doing a night scene with man-made or fantastic lighting or adding unrealistic but dramatic bits. In general, all you need is an HDRI, and maybe an infinite (or whatever your software calls it) for the sun or moon. Just make sure to treat any full HDRI image like you would a control map (like bump or normal), because true HDRI are linear, not sRGB.

Many photographers doing outdoor photos don't even use reflectors. I've watched several videos of shoots where they just use natural light.

In photography you have to largely make do with the light you have with the exception of adding reflectors and maybe even flash. I have certainly found that since using HDRI I do not have the issues I had with complex lighting set ups.

With photography composition is often a question of getting the best you can dependant on the access and the time available. In 3d art you do not have the limitation of POV or the time restriction which can make it very difficult , there are so many options it can be quite daunting.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
In 3d art you do not have the limitation of POV or the time restriction which can make it very difficult , there are so many options it can be quite daunting.
Very true. That's why I wanted to point out that in fact you can (and mostly should) ignore almost all of those options when doing outdoor images. Even with indoor scenes, it becomes much simpler if you consider your scene as a real place with real lights.

Hornet3d

Wise
Very true. That's why I wanted to point out that in fact you can (and mostly should) ignore almost all of those options when doing outdoor images. Even with indoor scenes, it becomes much simpler if you consider your scene as a real place with real lights.

Indoor wise I usually use a point or area light placed at the location of light props in the scene.