• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Millenium Dog

Carolann

New-Bee
Not sure if I am on the right thread here but here goes. I bought from DAZ the Mill Dog Bundle. One thing I reallly need for this dog is a Border Collie long hair black and white skin/coat for it. Not so much the morph as I can use the wolf morph to a certain extent although a border collie morph would have been totally wonderful. I know that Lisa's Botanicals did some of the dog morphs as did Laura S at DAZ and wondered if Lisa or anyone can make this or not. I have been told that Lisa is no longer at DAZ 3D. I saw some of her stuff here and wondered if she was contactable.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hi Carolann and welcome to the Hive. :)

I worked on the textures for the original Millennium Dog, but not morphs. Its possible you're looking for @Lyrra Madril who made add on textures and morphs. I think she has them available at Renderosity but can't recall for sure.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Lovely to see you here too Lisa. I have a lot of your botanicals. :)

Great to hear you're a fan! There are a few new ones here that you may not have. :)

Chris has been working on a wolf that might interest you. You can see the progress here HiveWire Wolf Has Begun! There is plenty of time to add your voice to the mix, too. While we may not do a Border Collie specifically there may be some morphs included that can assist you with dialing your own.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I did do a set for the Millennium dog however .... It ended up as a free set with some fix morphs and bend fixes for the dog, as well as a commercial set with a lot more morph shapes, breeds, new rigging and a completely new remap. This meant that the set was RTE-encoded and so some users are not comfortable decrypting and installing the set. Also, it is set up as Poser only and the breeds will not work in DS.

I did not make a border collie breed or morph, and focused mainly on medium to shorthaired breeds, due to limitations with dynmaic or mesh hairs. At the time I decided to wait on longhaired breeds until a newer dog model was made, by myself or someone else.

I am waiting patiently for the HW dog to come along, and I have every intention on making a similar set or sets of morphs, mesh fur and skins for the HW dog set up for both poser and DS. But when that will happen I really can't tell you.

LM

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Chris has also started on a Dog: HiveWire Dog Is Underway
The base will be a Labrador (and without going through the 24 pages again, I think he's started on a Chihuahua and Boxer, but I could be wrong :p)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
That's right, on page 13 of the HiveWire Dog thread shows the Boxer and Chihuahua too.

LabWork91.JPG
LabWork93.JPG
LabWork94.JPG
LabWork109.JPG

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Chris, glad I wasn't going mad :D hehehe

I too would like a Border Collie (and Belgian Shepherd and a Husky while we're at it :p hahaha)

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I actually reshaped the mildog to something more lab like when I re grouped to add jaw, tongue and earbones. That made a good base to morph from, so I think the HW dog should be much easier to work with than the mildog was. The UVmap kind of has to be better, just due to the advances in uvmapping over the years from when the mildog was made.

I found some of the most challenging was the pug and bulldog faces, that foldover nose wrinkle is really tricky. I looked at Shar-Pei but decided not to torment myself. The basset and the other hound type faces were also tricky, mostly because of the really long loose jowls. This is one of the few time I seriously considered adding face bones on an animal, like the face rigging that the newer figures have. The amount of flexibility and motion on the skin around the mouth and neck front is tough to handle with just morphing. Next time I model an animal its probably getting eyebrow, ear plus eartip bones, just to add more range of expression.

That is a really good boxer breed morph. I almost want to say the legs should be a touch longer? but I might be thinking of one of the related breeds. Those are some really great feet! so much better than any of the existing dog models

LM

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Welcome to the Hive Carolann! If you want to use Lyrra's morphs for the Mil Dog and you need it in Poser, there is my tutorial in the Daz studio forum on converting morphs from poser to DS it works well on Dawn and Dusk so hopefully it would also work on the mil dog. The tricky bit would be how to save the file but I would imagine you could save it as a scene subset even if you couldn't save it as a support asset as the dog isn't triax.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
My Mildog Improved breed morphs are non functional in DS. All the scaling is done via poser coding which does not translate. In theory I could spend a week reworking the set for DS users, but since the base model is so old I thought it best to save the development time for a new dog.

LM

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh well that puts paid to that idea...although if it creates the morph in Poser and you save it as a cr2 and export it in DS as an object and then reload(which is what I basically do) I would have thought it still possible. Not actually someone who likes using RTE so I can't check myself.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
That would work on a morph that is purely mesh changes. However ... I made the leg length, torso length, tail length, etc all as separate dials. All 100% programming with no morph object at all. The breeds are set up to dial the breed morph + the scaling needed for each breed. So since DS doesnt understand posers internal coding for this, the morphs with obj data will show up but not any of the scaling. This makes the set essentially non functional in DS.

This is the same issue with my poser only Shape of Dawn.

LM

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay...but I do find it difficult to understand why it does this(this is most likely because my brain isn't working this morning), but you're right. I tried scaling the dog in Poser saved as a cr2, loaded it into DS, exported the object and although I can load it as a morph it doesn't do anything...which I find really surprising as when I load it and export it the shape is definitely different...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay...found a way to get it to work with scaling. If I convert both cr2's to triax I can use that method and get it to work...so it will work with scaling without owning your shape of dawn products I couldn't say if it would work with that though.
First image both cr2's as they load...not the part of the mesh that has disappeared after converting to triax but it seems to work okay on the dog.
test for morph 1.jpg

Second image with morph dialed in on the original dog. So it would need the figures to both be triax weightmapped.
test for morph 2.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Isn't a border collie a long hair dog? I though from everything I have read about long hair animals in Poser are difficult or impossible to do. What I don't understand is if it is possible to create morphing/poseable long hair for Poser figures why can't the same techniques be used in creating similar looking/functioning long hair animals furs for Poser as well?

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
A human has long hair on its head, which is a relatively small area and viewed from fairly few angles.
Dogs have hair well .. everywhere. I did experiment with making a long haired suit of fur for the dog, but to get it looking decent in a number of angles would have made it extremely mesh heavy plus the huge amount of transparency involved made even the test version render VERY slowly. To add to the issue, border collies tend to have medium to long ahir, which is fairly wavy and curly. Very tricky to do with trans-sheet hair.

I do intent to make a hair suit for the Hive Dog when he comes along using a few techniques. It will also be somewhat heavy, but I'm hoping a little creative coaxing with subD will help.

I still have the OBJ hanging around so if someone wants it to mess with I can send you a copy, or a lowres-half to use in a modeler to keep working on it. It is not rigged, and I'm not sure if its grouped or mapped at this point either

LM