• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is there any such thing as a standard README file?

eclark1894

Visionary
I've read a lot of readMe files in my 17 years or so of playing with Poser and over the years I don't think I've ever seen two exactly alike. That said, however, is there any such thing as a standard readMe file or a template somewhere that tells you what you should or should not include in your Read Me fiLe?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Are you asking about in general or for items being sold at HiveWire? There's no standard ReadMe file for every store. We do have a template, though I do a bit of rearranging and will often add or remove things.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I would love if readme files aren't called readme. This generic name is given to hundreds of products and if you wish to review a file list and you search for readme, the problems become obvious and overwhelming.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
IIRC, DAZ also names their's with the product name as well. Of course, if you download something from one of the smaller sites, or a freebie on various sites, you may have just the general ReadMe named file. I always install manually, so I know where the ReadMe goes, often in a folder with the vendor's name, and I often add the product name to it. ReadMe, by itself, is a bit too generic. You can start drafting one that way, but the final file should have a full product name included, or at least an abbreviated version, if the product name is long.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I don't think Daz has ReadMe files any more - they used to have html ones. Unless they're hidden somewhere on their website.

As most of you know, products sold here have ReadMes inside a folder with the CA's name.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Correct Alisa, I should've been more specific, and yes their old read me files were done in HTML, with two folders for Pics, or Images (thumbnails), and ProductLists, which were accessed from the HTML read me file. I always wondered why they did it that way, as no one else did, but I supposed it made it easier to use it as a "generic" file anyone could use, and not have to type the whole thing over each and every time. ~shrugs~

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Good to know I'm not missing something ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
Well I am not a bit surprised there is no standard format, there is not even a set naming convention with ReadMe, readme, Read Me, README, read me and Readme used. There must certainly be more permutations but those are the variations I have seen. Then there are the ones with just a .txt file named after the product with no mention of a read me, which is how it ends up for all the content I purchase. I have one folder called ReadMe which is on a separate drive to my runtimes and I rename every thing with the product name.

What I most like to be included is a list of the files and where they go. I have lost count of the products I have purchased over the years and then cannot find. Is the product called after the product or the vendor. Are the materials located in the materials library or in the Pose library or both? Where it is not listed I have to drill down into the product's runtime to find the naming protocol.

Other than that I also like to see suggestions for render settings or lighting, that way, if the promos are good I have some chance to recreating the renders or if the promos are bad I at least know what to avoid.

I have no problems with the Hivewire Readmes but I have had some really poor ones over the years from elsewhere.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Why, thank you, Hornet :)

LOL, Miss B!

Miss B

CV-BEE
What I most like to be included is a list of the files and where they go. I have lost count of the products I have purchased over the years and then cannot find. Is the product called after the product or the vendor. Are the materials located in the materials library or in the Pose library or both? Where it is not listed I have to drill down into the product's runtime to find the naming protocol.
There is (was) a piece of software, I don't recall the name, so will text a friend of mine whom I know used to use it, that would do exactly that for you. IOW, list the files, and in what directories they are located in the zip, which is where they should, at least initially, be put in your Runtime.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I was surprised to read that there wasn't a readme for Daz initially but then when I thought about I realised that the standard readme has been replaced by a link in the install manager. It occurred to me that neither Miss B or Alisa use the install manager so may not be aware of it. So just for info...
There is a button in the install manager you can click on which will take you to more info on the product. See on the right hand side the round button with the i inside it.
daz install manager.jpg

Clicking on the link will take you to this type of screen online...
daz product info.jpg

here's the link 3DPs INK IT UP Bundle Brushes and PNGs [Documentation Center]

Scroll down and there is a link to the file list.