• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I wish we had..for Harry the Horse

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It used to be a common feature NA, especially in heraldry (and more often than not it was on the back legs than the front), they just did it poorly.
Rae134.jpg

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Ahh....... ok thanks for clearing that up!! I really like that first image of yours with it Rae! Just thought it rather odd, but now I see there is a reasoning behind it!! I probably should of asked the Scots!! =)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The one with the thumbnail? I commissioned a lovely girl on DA to do some bases for me to recolour (credit on pic).
This was this was one of the bases that I made into a Uni, I was going to make characters for a RPG.
(I didn't do armpit hair, its more chest hair :p)

Terre

Renowned
If someone here who knows how to model would do a bit of research into how the Indian War braves actually equipped and decorated their horses they would be making a unique product as far as I can tell.

I've seen nice renders here and elsewhere that were intended to be Indian Wars era pics that had the Native Americans horses dressed up as if they belonged to cowboys. Some did use such tack but others did not. Giving artists a choice is something I think people would enjoy.

Terre

Renowned
One Plains tribe (my apologies on not remembering which, my search skills suck) Used a cinch strap with several loops attached for stirrups. They also braided loops into the horses mane and trained to hang from those loops making it look like a riderless horse from the right direction or fire a bow from underneath the horse's neck etc.

Terre

Renowned
Here's an example of another style: Cheyenne - World of Bronze
A single strap that is tied around the horse's lower jaw and goes back to be the single rein, a fur "blanket" usually held on by a leather cinch strap.
in some cases feathers were braided into the horse's mane and tail and designs were painted on the coat. Hand prints were common but other designs were done as well.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You know, I seem to remember a render by Flint where she had braids in Harry's mane. It's been quite a while so I don't recall which thread it's in, and it might even have been on the old forum. I'm not sure if she stated at the time how she accomplished it, but that is something I'd like to see. Not sure if it's something you would normally only see in Dressage, but it would be really nice.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I too wish for a plaited mane and tail (various plaits would be great!).

Miss B, admittedly I haven't been around horses for around 25 years, but we used to plait for pony club and Shows. Also Show Jumpers and sometimes the Racehorses used to be plaited as well. Not sure if its just an "English" riding thing?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Could be Rae, as I always thought a lot of Dressage essentials like the rider's clothing, as well as the horse's outfit, had a British flavor to it. It wouldn't surprise me if all of those customs came here to the U.S. with the British when they came over to populate this new continent, back in the early days. The same is probably true when they traveled to, and populated, Australia.

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
Following on from the 'Plaited Mane" - I once tried to create some. I started looking at the problem from a different perspective. It was some time ago, and I can't, at the moment, recall if what I tried was on Harry, or the Mil Horse. What I did was to look at a set of ponytail hair for V4 , crop it all until what was left was just the ponytail itself, reduce it in scale and position the pony tail into/onto the horse mane - voila - instant "plaited mane". It was OK for full body renders, but didn't work well (in my opionin) for head and neck closeups. If I can find it - I'll try and post a pic of the result

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Interesting Idea Freyfaxi!

VB, that would work (I think) if you wanted to do long plaits down the mane. But I think any other kind of plait would need to be a separate prop, because a running plait goes along the neck (what sounds like Freyfaxi did with the hair) or they are individual "rosettes" which I don't think would work on the current mane.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
What style of plaits are people thinking, here? The English style light horse plaiting, with the mane formed into a row of little bobbles along the top of the neck? The Suffolk draft horse with the whole mane plaited in one continuous plait along the topline and the end lying down in a tail at the end? The Shire style with only part of the mane plaited continuously along the topline, and the rest still hanging loose? A line of individual plaits not rolled up into bobbles? One of the many Spanish/baroque net-like styles? I suspect each would need to be treated differently.

*Edit- I may or may not end up doing something simple for English light-horse style mane (bobbles) and tail plaits, on a current render project. I may just postwork them instead. If I end up going the modelling route I'll play with a couple options and see what (if anything) works ok.

Last edited:

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Light horse, English style mane and tail
Light horse.jpg

Heavy horse, Suffolk style (mainly the mane in this one)
Heavy horse Suffolk.jpg

Heavy horse, Percheron style tail as found in southern UK (Suffolks use the same plait)
Percheron.jpg

Percheron mane style in UK, same as the Shire or Clydesdale style
Percheron2.jpg

The same style, showing how the plait length is shortened to allow for the driving collar. This horse is a Percheron/Suffolk cross. They use the Percheron (or Shire) style rather than the Suffolk style because the horse is coloured like a Percheron (Suffolks are chestnut, Percherons are black or grey- in the UK, anyway)
Shire style.jpg

A nice lineup of heavies showing variations in tail plaiting style (from left to right, not counting the one mostly hidden: Shire full plait with loop, Shire shaved dock with ring, Suffolk, Shire double plait with ring)
Lineup.jpg

And some photos that aren't mine for other types of plait:
https://image.shutterstock.com/z/st...known-as-the-pure-spanish-horse-127114607.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...38725dfd6f160c33c--tail-braids-horse-mane.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/64/85/db/6485dbfead03a20328a3fa1ed7782fc2.jpg

If you want so see some other cool manes without plaits, google image search 'fjord horse mane'.