• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I wish we had..for Harry the Horse

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think Freyfaxi, that if someone can do it it LAMH that would work, I don't know how well it would look in just textures. But I'll second that.
It would be cool to do some clipped coats too :)

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I really want to do a shaggy horse for Harry. With LAMH, it would be possible to have "automatic" clipping. "Someone" would just have to paint a hair density map over the standard Harry coat texture, and then that could be loaded into LAMH... But no, I have to finish the kitten first. :) Besides, I got sidetracked into rendering something just for fun, so my computer's busy right now... :(

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
All for that but doubt it is possible.
It is doable, just would take a fair bit of work to pull it off. Poser dynamic hair and one of the hair plugins for DS would be one way and most likely give the best look, that would also be the hardest way to do it. Displacement maps with masks and direction nodes, (if DS has them), would be the other and would probably be a bit easier for some one who knows their way around the material rooms of both porgrams

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
A really "rough" LAMH preset for Harry would take maybe an hour to put together, and would not be too difficult, either. It is the fine details that require, well, fine tuning, to get right. The LAMH "preset" I did for the HiveWire gorilla took maybe half an hour, and from a distance it looks ok. My biggest concern with the horse hair preset is getting the hair to lie the right way so that it looks natural and follows the "grain" of a real horse coat.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
A really "rough" LAMH preset for Harry would take maybe an hour to put together, and would not be too difficult, either. It is the fine details that require, well, fine tuning, to get right. The LAMH "preset" I did for the HiveWire gorilla took maybe half an hour, and from a distance it looks ok. My biggest concern with the horse hair preset is getting the hair to lie the right way so that it looks natural and follows the "grain" of a real horse coat.
Yeah it would be much the same with Posers hair too. Getting a rough starting point not so hard but the fine tuning thereof, a right PITA. The other thing, with Poser hair at any rate, is getting it to be the same colour as the underlying texture. Changing the body texture does not change the hair texture, you would need mat files/shaders for the hair and that would only work for textures you had. I think.
I've not done more than a few basic things with dynamic hair at this point myself but look at the few products I have I can make a educated guess at the proces. I would have a play with it but all ready have too much on my plate lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
VB's the expert but I think LAMH takes the colours from the texture. I think there is a setting/way to change it so the hair shaft changes colours like real fur (eg: my dogs guard hairs starts off cream and half way changes to black. My cats fur can have 3 different colours on the one hair), but I don't think that would change with the textures so it would be better to have a single colour shaft that changes with the base texture.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
LAMH usually takes the hair texture from the underlying geometry, but you can use different options as well. It has loads of 3Delight options (where it is easiest to change the tip, root, and specular colors), but since it came out before Iray, the current version is pretty limited that way, which will eventually get fixed in version 2 (which I will buy on day 1).

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
LAMH usually takes the hair texture from the underlying geometry, but you can use different options as well. It has loads of 3Delight options (where it is easiest to change the tip, root, and specular colors), but since it came out before Iray, the current version is pretty limited that way, which will eventually get fixed in version 2 (which I will buy on day 1).

Here here! Especially if it has gotten easier to use!